Quantcast

Did I lend someone my tool?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously, does one of you guys have my headset cup remover? I can't find it...did I loan it out to someone?

MD

R

Rabie

MikeD said:
Seriously, does one of you guys have my headset cup remover? I can't find it...did I loan it out to someone?

MD
A pipe and a hammer.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rabie said:
A pipe and a hammer.
Well, duh, but I still can't find my tool.

And I really need it because of the arrangement on this bike I got...there's a Steelset pressed into the headtube reducers. It's terrible. But I need the prong-deal to fit around the outside of the steelset so I can just knock the reducers out. Then I can use a vice, hammer, and block/punch to get the Steelset out of them, in turn.

Not a huge issue, b/c I have a whole new headset for the new frame, but I figure I can sell the Steelset separately for more money, and it's sort of bad salesmanship to sell the wierd arrangement on the condition that "I can't get it out." Turns a profitable component into a liability.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's hard work, but someone's gotta do it.

You wanna bring your pipe down and see if YOU can get this ****er out, Abbie Hoffman?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Metal said:
Damn beat me to it. I actually use an old BMX 1" (25.4mm for you people on the metric system) seatpost for years. It works like a charm.
You can come on down and give it a try, too.

I can have a workshop full of small ghetto Indian people trying to remove my headset.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
By the way, I tried using the round end of an inch diameter hex-head bolt to knock the sucker out. The Steelset is so hard that it just deformed the bolt. That's why I want the tool...to bypass the headset and knock out the reducer cups.

If no one has my tool, though, I'll probably just get someone to support the frame for me, put the the headtube over my vice, using the jaws to support the cup reducers, and just find something to whale on the steelset with until it comes out. If it kills the reducers, no big deal...just punch them out with a seatpost afterward.

But it'd be easier if I had the tool.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Orven said:
steelset...hmm I might be interested..
Better get it before I leave for New Zealand...22 Feb. Come by and get it out if you like (or can...I can't, yet). You get extra-special local pricing.

Need a medium Gemini frame to go with that?