Quantcast

Did KidskiDoo Survive Snowpocalypse?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
*ahem*

"polaris"

Survived and thriving!

Just fyi 55 inches over a few days is nothing for this place when we get those atmospheric rivers. That's just somebody at the sf chronicle trying make clickbait.

There are plenty of other nearby snotel sites that got more snow over the last week.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I haven't followed the news in some time... what happened with the fires out your way?

Or what happens if there's a fire and it dumps snow like that?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I haven't followed the news in some time... what happened with the fires out your way?

Or what happens if there's a fire and it dumps snow like that?
The super destructive fires that happen here are a confluence of a bunch of conditions, none of which exist this time of year. Hot temps, no humidity, long cloudless days for months on end drying everything out...

We got dumped on in October with a similar amount of snow and that pretty much ended fire season for the wooded areas.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DIE FISHING SEASON DIE!!!!

Sorry man, it's december. We gotta get this party started sometime.

Just fyi, I know you like Hope valley. You can still easily fish there in the winter with some snowshoes. It's so wide open and flat in there a few sunny days or even just wind consolidate that stuff pretty quickly. Those creeks stay open.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
DIE FISHING SEASON DIE!!!!

Sorry man, it's december. We gotta get this party started sometime.

Just fyi, I know you like Hope valley. You can still easily fish there in the winter with some snowshoes. It's so wide open and flat in there a few sunny days or even just wind consolidate that stuff pretty quickly. Those creeks stay open.
I was there in October and above the valley floor the river iced over until 11am

I would just go east of Reno to fish the Truckee or low down on the Yuba, Stanislaus or American at this time of year. Steel plates and screws in left ankle rule out skiing ever again. I'm just lucky to be able to walk and ride.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was there in October and above the valley floor the river iced over until 11am

I would just go east of Reno to fish the Truckee or low down on the Yuba, Stanislaus or American at this time of year. Steel plates and screws in left ankle rule out skiing ever again. I'm just lucky to be able to walk and ride.
It gets colder at night with low/no snow than it does once there's some real snowpack on the ground. The snow insulates. The creek coming out of blue lakes and even the upper fork of the carson do stay open during the winter. I know because they block a lot of terrain when I'm out there sledding. Worth checking out after January. Just another fyi.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I do have a sno park pass and my camper is well insulated
snopark passes are not camping permits or campground reservations. They come with the understanding that you MAY camp there if you are using the winter trailhead that they access.

You city folk are fucking up winter trailheads

I was lying earlier by the way. Those creeks freeze up hard until June.

;)

for real though, I can point you some sweet spots just down the hill that don't get as cold at night to sleep

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Back in My Rock Climbing days I spent a good portion of my summers either in Tuolumne or over on the east side.
One trip we did the regular route on Fairview, next day we Ice Climbed North Peak Gully then we dropped down onto the east side to boulder at Deadmans and hang out in the hot springs off Benton Crossing road in Mammoth for about a week. God I miss those days of my youth

1639805946210.png

Last edited: