RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Teen party mom jailed
Cops: Daughter's bash 'inappropriate'

Print By Julie Poppen, Rocky Mountain News

November 7, 2005

A 45-year-old former high school dance team coach and school crossing guard in Colorado Springs was arrested after her daughter's 16th birthday party turned into something akin to "High School Girls Gone Wild."
Marsha Ann Williams, who had been employed by Colorado Springs School District 11 as a crossing guard, was arrested Friday afternoon on suspicion of contributing to the delinquency of minors in connection with a party at her home in January.

Williams, who has no arrest history and was a volunteer coach at Mitchell High School, spent 12 hours in jail before posting a $1,000 bond.

On Sunday, Williams blamed some of her daughter's friends' parents for conducting a "witch hunt" that resulted in her arrest.

"I've never been in trouble before, especially for something I did not do," Williams said. "It's a nightmare."

Colorado Springs police, however, have accused Williams of hosting an "inappropriate party" where juvenile guests were given party favors shaped like male genitalia. Further, police said, "some of the girls simulated sexual acts with the party items and some of the acts were captured in photographs."

Williams said she did not take any explicit photographs. "If somebody did that, it was not me," she said. "I have actual tape of the party. The police did not want to see (it)."

She admits to making some mistakes in judgment but doesn't believe she should be treated as a criminal.

For instance, Williams acknowledged she should have put her foot down when her daughter bought erotic lollipops and straws as party favors for her 11 guests.

And she should have contacted parents, she said, after police officers reported to Williams that two of the girls were outside flashing and mooning motorists. Williams said she thought the girls were out picking up another young woman who wasn't allowed to walk alone after dark.

"I admit I had bad judgment," Williams said. "But is that a crime? Obviously, it was a mistake, and obviously, we learn when we make mistakes."

After some of the girls' parents saw photos of the party, they notified school officials, who in turn called police.

Williams was placed on administrative leave from the crossing guard job she had for seven years. Administrators then fired her, she said.

Williams faces her first court appearance Wednesday. She said she is humiliated and worries about the effect of the incident on her daughter, who is a junior. "I can't even imagine her going to school," Williams said.
I don't know....what do you think? :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That is PUSHING it for sure. If there was obvious alcohol at the party I could understand the charges. If there wasnt and there were just "inappropriate" party favors and flashing I cant see the charge, much less the firing. If she gets convicted, and gets a good lawyer I would bet whoever sold the party favors to her daughter is gonna get sued.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's a bigger story than it might otherwise be since another woman was sentenced to 30 years in jail for a similar, but far worse, situation... other mom was having sex with her kids' friends and giving them methamphetamine.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
LordOpie said:
It's a bigger story than it might otherwise be since another woman was sentenced to 30 years in jail for a similar, but far worse, situation... other mom was having sex with her kids' friends and giving them methamphetamine.
How is that similar? Just cause there was a party? :nope:

Seriously though, we need to see how hot these chics were and what they were doing :evil:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
robdamanii said:
Oy. People need to stop overreacting to everything and loosen up a little bit.
F' that - my 16 yr old daughter (theoretically since I don't actually have any kids) goes to a party and they hand her a candy penis... you better beleive I'm going to be pissed and want action against the "adults" involved.

However - on a side note, my daughter behaves like any of these girls giving BJ's to the candy or flashing/mooning and her ass is grounded!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Slugman said:
F' that - my 16 yr old daughter (theoretically since I don't actually have any kids) goes to a party and they hand her a candy penis... you better beleive I'm going to be pissed and want action against the "adults" involved.

However - on a side note, my daughter behaves like any of these girls giving BJ's to the candy or flashing/mooning and her ass is grounded!

It's better than handing her a beer. And really, how many of us have done things we'd be hypocritcal for yelling at our kids about?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
robdamanii said:
It's better than handing her a beer. And really, how many of us have done things we'd be hypocritcal for yelling at our kids about?
uhh, you're closer to being a teenager than having one.

it's ok to be a “hypocrit” when it comes to parenting. Just cuz you did stupid stuff as a kid doesn't make it right.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
LordOpie said:
uhh, you're closer to being a teenager than having one.

it's ok to be a “hypocrit” when it comes to parenting. Just cuz you did stupid stuff as a kid doesn't make it right.
Good point.

It'd be hard to yell at my kid for drinking underage or smoking some illegal substances when I did both in spades.

Maybe it'll get easier as I get older.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Slugman said:

I'm facing the fact that my kid will get herself into lame situations no matter what, even if no idiot parents are involved.

I'll still ground her though.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
robdamanii said:
Unlike you - I didn't suck on a candy (or any other style) penis as a child.. j/k

I know they are going to experiment with drugs/alcohol/sex, and I hope I raise them to be smart about it. However when another child's parent is there, I expect that NONE of that is going on.

If this happened when the mother wasn't around - fine. That's kids being kids. But if you tell me you're going to be there and supervise - you are now held responsible for what happens in that house!

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Candy cocks for 16 yr old girls? :think: I'm feeling a serious lack of humor around here/there. Lots of Fatherish freaking over the line of sensibility.

Could we hear from some female monkeys on this? I'm not seeing how this is any different from a normal slumber type party. So instead of giggling cucumber fellatio, they have suckers ... big whoop.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Slugman said:
Unlike you - I didn't suck on a candy (or any other style) penis as a child.. j/k

I know they are going to experiment with drugs/alcohol/sex, and I hope I raise them to be smart about it. However when another child's parent is there, I expect that NONE of that is going on.

If this happened when the mother wasn't around - fine. That's kids being kids. But if you tell me you're going to be there and supervise - you are now held responsible for what happens in that house!
Being a teenager myself at the moment, my suggestion is to openly let them experiment. If you have a strict no policy, their just going to do it all behind your back. You will either know about it by allowing it, or know its happening but no proof if you don't.

Moderation is key.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Being a teenager myself at the moment, my suggestion is to openly let them experiment. If you have a strict no policy, their just going to do it all behind your back. You will either know about it by allowing it, or know its happening but no proof if you don't.

Moderation is key.
I disagree. A parent is not a buddy or a pal or a friend. A parent is there to teach self-discipline and self-reliance (amongst other things).

A strict no policy is a comfort zone. As an adolescent, you are still learning self-discipline, and don't always have the tools within yourself to pull yourself back from the edge. Rules do that for you. Once you show the maturity to make good decisions, your freedom should increase, and the rules are modified until eventually you are making your own rules for yourself.

I grew up with a strict no policy, and I mostly followed it. I creatively walked on the edge of that policy, and stepped across the line a few times, but it helped me on a few occasions to opt out of things I knew I shouldn't do.

When I was in 5th grade, I called my mom from a slumber party to tell her we were going to watch a PG movie (which I was not allowed to do). She said she would be coming to get me. When I begged her to stay, she reminded me of the rules, and I grudgingly relented. I was probably sullen that evening, but it was forgotten by the next afternoon. I forgot all about this till my mom reminded me of it a few years ago. She said that was the day she knew I could have greater freedom, because I did what I should have done, and not what I wanted to do, and I would not hesitate to call for help if I felt a situation was bigger than me.

If I were a parent, I would hope that my daughter would call me to bring her home once she saw that the party was age inappropriate.

If this mom had done nothing wrong, she would have nothing to be embarrassed about, and would not lament that her daughter has to "face this" going back to school. This mother is an idiot.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
sunny said:
I disagree. A parent is not a buddy or a pal or a friend. A parent is there to teach self-discipline and self-reliance (amongst other things).

A strict no policy is a comfort zone. As an adolescent, you are still learning self-discipline, and don't always have the tools within yourself to pull yourself back from the edge. Rules do that for you. Once you show the maturity to make good decisions, your freedom should increase, and the rules are modified until eventually you are making your own rules for yourself.

I grew up with a strict no policy, and I mostly followed it. I creatively walked on the edge of that policy, and stepped across the line a few times, but it helped me on a few occasions to opt out of things I knew I shouldn't do.

When I was in 5th grade, I called my mom from a slumber party to tell her we were going to watch a PG movie (which I was not allowed to do). She said she would be coming to get me. When I begged her to stay, she reminded me of the rules, and I grudgingly relented. I was probably sullen that evening, but it was forgotten by the next afternoon. I forgot all about this till my mom reminded me of it a few years ago. She said that was the day she knew I could have greater freedom, because I did what I should have done, and not what I wanted to do, and I would not hesitate to call for help if I felt a situation was bigger than me.

If I were a parent, I would hope that my daughter would call me to bring her home once she saw that the party was age inappropriate.

If this mom had done nothing wrong, she would have nothing to be embarrassed about, and would not lament that her daughter has to "face this" going back to school. This mother is an idiot.

I have a pretty strict no policy also. Yet that has just about no bearing on the decisions that I am making now. I'm still not drinking and/or smoking at the moment, and have never been, but I came to that conclusion by myself and with my own reasons. Other kids should be able to do the same. They make bad choices, they suffer the consequences, they learn, they don't make the same bad choice again.

I'm just about the same age as the girls in the story, while I don't think its really cool that the mom was participating in it I also don't think that "exotic" candies or whatever they had are inappropriate for this age. They are 16. If you don't think that sex plays a role in a kids life at age 16 nowadays, well it does. And I don't just speak for myself in that matter...

I do almost feel bad for that girl now though, she is gonna be getting hell for the rest of her years at highschool. :p

I'm sure my views will change as I get older, but this is what I see now.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I'm just about the same age as the girls in the story, while I don't think its really cool that the mom was participating in it I also don't think that "exotic" candies or whatever they had are inappropriate for this age. They are 16. If you don't think that sex plays a role in a kids life at age 16 nowadays, well it does. And I don't just speak for myself in that matter...
It's not that I don't think sex plays a rols in kids' lives. But those in teaching/role model/parent status should not indicate that an activity is acceptable or even desirable just because eveyone is doing it. You set the standard high for a reason.

But we as a society are more concerned with our own entertainment than we are with doing the right thing. And I'm certainly no better than anyone else.

(cranks up the rant volume and steps on soap box)
My biggest problem with this whole scenario is that the role model, by her actions and inaction, said that it is good and appropriate and acceptable for teen agers to focus on sex at a party. Does she have no more creativity than that? Does she want no more for her daughter than that? It's just so stupid.

The whole Madonna-image sex-kitten-thing was fine and glamorous if you're Paris Hilton. But if you're Jane Doe, you just a ho. We've raised too many girls to be "just a ho", and not enough self-reliant, strong women.

OK, I'll step down now.
-sunny

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have a pretty strict no policy also. Yet that has just about no bearing on the decisions that I am making now. I'm still not drinking and/or smoking at the moment, and have never been, but I came to that conclusion by myself and with my own reasons.

So you THINK.

As a teenager you are too nieve to realize your thought process is not your own at the moment. All of your decision making is still being guided by your parents and how they raised you.

The older you get, the more you realize how smart (and influential) your parents really are/were. I think my realization came when I was about 27.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Slugman said:

I thought I burned those pictures. j/k

Good way to look at it. It's not so much as protecting them as it is educating them and giving them the information to make smart decisions and smart choices for themselves.

True that the mother could have been a hell of a lot more attentitive, but was there anything illegal about it? It's not really contributing to the delinquency of a minor, nor reckless endangerment, or anything else. Or maybe the law there allows for that. Either way, it appears to be more of a moral issue than it is a legal issue.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I don't think that that is a such big deal: I agree it is a moral issue to some though.

Being 16, I agree that it is becasue of the parents guidance (mtb rob fl), but it is also the individual. So many kids are stupid these days. I don't smoke or anything, becasue it makes you even more stupid (im stupid enough (to people that don't ride) jumping off evrything in sight-hahahaha). If you smoke enough, you don't really want to ride much, just smoke more.

I agree, my decsison is of my parents guidance, but it is partly mine.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sunny said:
The whole Madonna-image sex-kitten-thing was fine and glamorous if you're Paris Hilton. But if you're Jane Doe, you just a ho. We've raised too many girls to be "just a ho", and not enough self-reliant, strong women.

OK, I'll step down now.
-sunny
Well said. I agree 100%

And to the kids who all have the same response... Same now as it was when I was in high school. Your responses are proof of what everyone here is saying. You think you're making decisions on your own. But the framework that you base those decisions on came from your parents. Sadly the only thing we can really tell you is what you all hate hearing... You will understand when you get older. The thing about it is that it's true.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
So you THINK.

As a teenager you are too nieve to realize your thought process is not your own at the moment. All of your decision making is still being guided by your parents and how they raised you.

The older you get, the more you realize how smart (and influential) your parents really are/were. I think my realization came when I was about 27.
Yes, I do think, a lot actually. I realize that my thoughts are still being influenced by my parents and I accept that, but its not like when I am at a party and have a chance to get drunk/high I am worried about doing it because they don't want me to. They did a good enough job educating me on how to make my own decisions based on my health and the consequences that I am responsible enough to say no.

Most of the girls that I know are very intelligent, self reliant, and they enjoy having fun. Its funny though how our society automatically seems to make girls Ho's if they like sex, and guys become cool for the more sex they have.

I may be in over my head and sound like an ignorant little teenager to you older peoples, but whatever. It's my opinion at the moment, and I may as well use criticism to try and learn.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I do think, a lot actually. I realize that my thoughts are still being influenced by my parents and I accept that, but its not like when I am at a party and have a chance to get drunk/high I am worried about doing it because they don't want me to. They did a good enough job educating me on how to make my own decisions
Exactly :thumb:

I may be in over my head and sound like an ignorant little teenager to you older peoples, but whatever. It's my opinion at the moment, and I may as well use criticism to try and learn.
Sounds like a good plan

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Yes, I do think, a lot actually. I realize that my thoughts are still being influenced by my parents and I accept that, but its not like when I am at a party and have a chance to get drunk/high I am worried about doing it because they don't want me to. They did a good enough job educating me on how to make my own decisions based on my health and the consequences that I am responsible enough to say no.

Most of the girls that I know are very intelligent, self reliant, and they enjoy having fun. Its funny though how our society automatically seems to make girls Ho's if they like sex, and guys become cool for the more sex they have.

as a teenager also i have to say this guy sounds a lot smarter then most of us.