Quantcast

did my first session on the trainer

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yesterday morning I did my first real session on the trainer. Did 30 minutes total, and it felt really, really good. Wasn't exactly a feast for the senses like a scenic road ride might be, but boredom wasn't much of an issue either. I found myself setting small goals throughout the time... 5 minutes at a pretty high resistance, 2 minutes at a higher sprint, etc. trying to simulate what a real ride would feel like.

I'm acutally looking forward to my next session (tomorrow morning).

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'd recommend trying some Spinervals DVD's. While what you are doing is definitely better than nothing, you can really maximize the benefit of riding the trainer when your workout is designed by a pro for a specific purpose.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
did you watch any videos while spinning or did you just sit and spin for 30?
My daughter was watching Robots... I tried to watch, but just couldn't get into it. Because of where my bike is compared to the speakers, and the fact that my son was napping at the time, I couldn't really hear anything. Plus, it's not the most engaging movie I've ever seen.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
I'd recommend trying some Spinervals DVD's. While what you are doing is definitely better than nothing, you can really maximize the benefit of riding the trainer when your workout is designed by a pro for a specific purpose.
yea, I've heard good things about them. I figure that once this initial interest fades I'll look into something like that. I'm hoping I can get through the rest of the winter without it, then something like that would make a great stocking stuff next christmas.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:

Echo - I'd like to try this approach. I plan on bringing my TV, stereo and DVD player over to Laura's to set up in her basement as a multimedia area (for lack of a better term). I could set up an old trainer I got from splat in a trade a couple of years ago down in the basement, and throw the DVD in to get going.

Are they expensive to purchase?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
That's great to hear, Jackson. I've had my trainer for around a year and I've really gotten into it the past few months. I do intervals and make sure I'm spinning in my target zone, but for the most part, it's nice to just be on the bike, catch up on some tv or music and forget about what I have to do for awhile.

Are you on the mycyclinglog? That's been a great source of motivation for me as well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
I want to try these as well (once I am back on the bike). Can you PM me the names of the ones that you have and like?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
Echo - I'd like to try this approach. I plan on bringing my TV, stereo and DVD player over to Laura's to set up in her basement as a multimedia area (for lack of a better term). I could set up an old trainer I got from splat in a trade a couple of years ago down in the basement, and throw the DVD in to get going.

Are they expensive to purchase?
I think you can even get them through Netflix to see which ones are the best.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
bluebug32 said:
Are you on the mycyclinglog? That's been a great source of motivation for me as well.
I plan on joining as soon as I can really train again...I doubt that my 30 minutes here and there would really be all that useful (data wise) right now) as I am just spinning and not really working.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
TreeSaw said:
I plan on joining as soon as I can really train again...I doubt that my 30 minutes here and there would really be all that useful (data wise) right now) as I am just spinning and not really working.
You're doing some great resistance training with all that added weight at your core ;)

the cycling log is just a great way to keep yourself motivated. Let me know when you want join :)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
bluebug32 said:
I think you can even get them through Netflix to see which ones are the best.
Not from what I'm seeing. I think that would be great. I could have a new one each week for my spin group in my garage. Maybe if a bunch of people start requesting them. How does one do that with Netflix?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
peter6061 said:
Not from what I'm seeing. I think that would be great. I could have a new one each week for my spin group in my garage. Maybe if a bunch of people start requesting them. How does one do that with Netflix?
yea... I did a quick search of netflix and couldn't find them.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Did my second session this morning... another 30minuter. This time I did it while watching IRobot - a decent movie but the time flew by. I think I could easily do a longer session with a decent movie in front of me... just gotta get up earlier.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bluebug32 said:
did you try searching for specific titles? I know that's what I had to do to find biking videos. For some reason they don't show up in the regular categories.
I browsed for a while and found nothing, then I did a few searches and still found nothing (spin, spinerval, etc) and found nothing.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The Toninator said:
really? Try it out. that's 15 sec's on 45 off repeat. Sit stand alt. Next session drop sit to 10 sec’s increase stand to 30 sec’s.
Try it out I DOUBLE DAWG DARE YOU!!!!
the DD dare!, oh no!

I'm use to doing a min of 60 sec stand, with the last 15 being a sprint

The Toninator said:
next time drop sit to 6 seconds repeat every 30, stand 15 sec's every 30 increase to 8 sets
huh? I need something less complicated or someone elese telling me what/when to do it :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
douglas said:
the DD dare!, oh no!

I'm use to doing a min of 60 sec stand, with the last 15 being a sprint

huh? I need something less complicated or someone elese telling me what/when to do it :D
how about we teleconfrence a trainer session? i'll lead the first one.