Quantcast

Did ya'll catch this?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
From cyclingnews
Motivated perhaps by the chance to distance Floyd Landis, who Armstrong considered had made unsavoury comments about him in L'Equipe, Discovery floored it all the way to the line, with Armstrong himself helping to drive the pace. The group came in 22'28 behind Savoldelli but 0'20 ahead of the next group, containing Evans, Landis, and Moreau. The top six placings in GC remain unchanged but Vinokourov overtakes the latter three in jumping to seventh overall. The large time gap at the finish enabled the American team to take over from T-Mobile as best squad.
Looks like Evans got caught on the wrong end of a pissed off Lance.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Floyds comments over the past couple of days about Armstrong have been rather frank. Critical in a ‘matter of fact’ sort of manner. One of his statements was “it’s no wonder he doesn’t have any friends…”
I wasn’t surprised when I read that.
Landis poked the 500lb gorilla with a pointy stick, in the eye, which was infected…

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's funny how people questioned before the tour whether Lance was ready or not.

It's amazing to be so good at something, so much better than everyone else that you just jump like he did and distance himself to put Landis in his place when Lance could've just coasted to Paris.

Is Lance close to trying his best? I wish the other teams were able to challenge him cuz I would like to see just how much gas Lance has in his tank.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Pau11y said:
Has Lance won a stage yet this TdF? I'm not questioning if he can or not, just if he has. It'd be a feat in my opinion if he took this TdF not winning ONE stage :D
yea but it is the first year that somebody other than him from his team has won a stage and including today that's 2 somebodys!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Landis on Armstrong

Lance Armstrong and Discovery Channel's tempo riding in stage 17 appeared to be motivated by the desire to limit former team-mate Floyd Landis' chances, after Landis made remarks about the team in an interview with L'Equipe earlier this week.

Looking back to the 2003 Tour, Landis gave a frank assessment of one of the reasons for Armstrong's success. "It was the only time that people thought he could lose," Landis told L'Equipe (as translated by Procycling). "Everyone around him was concerned, even us, his team-mates. But the most surprising thing was that he didn't show anything. I will always remember that he directed the other riders around like the boss of a company. For him, the race was business and he was the boss.

"In some teams they often talk about their friendship, but in a team like that with someone who behaves as if he really is the boss, I don't think you can go that far in talking about friendship. In everyday life it's hard to be friends with your boss. I don't believe that Lance has ever had that kind of friendship with any of his team-mates, even with George Hincapie, whom he has known since he was 17. Friendship can't exist when you give orders and direct others. It's not necessarily a negative thing. It's by acting in this way that Lance has been able to win the Tour so often."

From cyclingnews.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
At that level of competition, it is a business. And the team captain of any sport needs to lead his team to victory.

I remember Dan Marino (QB, Miami Dolphins) absolutely yelling at his team many times. Which is more important during competition... friendship or respect?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
So Floyd has his panties in a wad because Lance is organized, driven to win, is the team captain, and gives the domestiques working for him orders. Face it Floyd, you were hired to be Lance's boy, a domestique, that's your job, Lance was your boss.

Lance must be a bad person. Who was it that quite Postal?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I personally think it'd be sweeter if Lance doesn't win ONE stage to take the entire Tour. "Screw you guys! I'm so good I don't need to win a single stage to win the entire friggin' race. Kiss my ass! Muhahahaha..." I don't know if that's ever been done, but to pull off number 7 w/ such a unique finish...now THAT would be spectacular in my books!