Quantcast

did you get a college class ring?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the time has come. ****ers are over $500...geeze! and that's without any stones, and 10k gold. so i'm thinking, since i think the "official" ones are a bit over the top, and can't ever see myself wearing something so gawdy, i might like to have something made up that i design.

do you still wear your ring? was it a worthwhile investment? hell, should it even be considered an investment?
--edit--

oh, i can't get out of getting one. i told my mom i didn't want one, and would rather have the money, and she flipped out. well, not really, but she would rather me get a ring (she's paying).

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
That is the biggest waste of money ever.

What's the point of the ring? To impress people?

You went to college? Got your masters? Does that make you the master of me? Did they teach you to count? I can count too! 1, 2, 4, 5... You countin' these ROCKS, beyotch?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
You went to college? Got your masters? Does that make you the master of me? Did they teach you to count? I can count too! 1, 2, 4, 5... You countin' these ROCKS, beyotch?
is that a song? if not, it should be. i picture Kanye rapping it.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I did not get one when I graduated high school nor will I get one when I graduate from college. Personally I feel that its $500 dollars worth putting somewhere else, but then again I am not a flashy person. Some people must have their "bling".

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Personally, I don't like them and don't see the practicality of spending that much money (I didn't get a HS one either). My uncle wears his college ring all the time. He thinks his biggest achievement was graduating from a state university and being in a frat... drives me out of my mind. Unambitious idiot. :rolleyes:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
if i had bought one.. it would have been a waste of money.. besides i dont even like wearing my wedding band

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
What's the point of the ring? To impress people?
Exactly. At least 90% of the Govt civilian workforce in DoD still sport their college rings...especially the engineers. These guys are in their 50s and still argue about football games that took place between their schools when they were in college. :rolleyes:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BikeGeek said:
Exactly. At least 90% of the Govt civilian workforce in DoD still sport their college rings...especially the engineers. These guys are in their 50s and still argue about football games that took place between their schools when they were in college. :rolleyes:

It's definately an age thing. I too have noticed a lot of engineers from that era do wear them with their ties and suit jackets.

Most of us younger ones don't. We wear jeans and tee shirts a lot of the time.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I did not buy one. If I bought one, the money would have come out of MY pocket, and I can think of about a million things better a broke ass college kid can spend his money on.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
the Inbred said:
is that a song? if not, it should be. i picture Kanye rapping it.
Chris Rock years ago. Funny sh!t.

The old man bought me a class ring when I graduated. I told him no thanks and his reply was: "Boy, you just put yourself through school, I'm buying you the damn ring." Its still in its little case in my dresser. Of course, my diploma is still rolled up in a tube in the same drawer.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't really see the point... People wear 'em like they've got something to show off, but it doesn't say anything about you. It says you went to a college but what does that mean? You could have graduated at the bottom of your class, with a major in basket weaving :rolleyes:

You should get a ring with the Harvard seal on it, "Summa Cum Laude" on one side and "Pre-Law" on the other side. It's not like anyone would know it wasn't real. The ring place doesn't ask to see your diploma.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Only get one if you plan to wear it on your pinky. Pinky rings are way cool.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
I think it is a waste of money too. My mom made me get one in high school. I hated my school mascot so I got an eagle on mine and caught flack for that.
Years later I had it melted down to a ring style I wanted. But, that ring is now in a drawer somewhere too.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Seems like a waste of money to me, unless you are someone who really likes wearing rings? :confused: I never got one, figured it would just sit in a drawer, as the only jewelry I wear are watches. Maybe it would be usefull at a reunion some day if you are into them. :blah:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I did not get a ring in high school, or college. Nor did I hang my graduation tassel from the rear view mirror of my bitchin' Camaro.

Hell, I didn't have a wedding ring until 4 years after we were married and my wife got me a Ti band (it's cool an understated, so I love it).

J

JRB

Julie has an A & M ring she wears from time to time, but Aggies are more brainwashed than Marines Special Forces.

WarEagle2K

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I don't enjoy wearing jewelry at all, but my mom insisted so she bought me one. I wear it occasionally. I am glad that I did get it, because I think it will be something nice to pass along to my son when the time comes..

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
speaking of Aggieland, they are now considered a better value than UT.
Yeah - you don't have to contend with as many hippies.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
That reminds me. A couple of days ago, I drove past a lady with one of those license plate thingies that said "Harvard Law class of 1989". As I drove past I noticed that she was digging in her nose. Classy.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Wow! I really had no idea people felt so strongly about class rings!

I was going to get a college ring, but never got around to it...partially because the standard rings didn't have my major so I would have had to custom order it (or go with generic major).

I don't really have a problem with college rings. Although my school, major, or graduating does not define who I am, it is a part of who I am. I'm proud of my hardwork and what I accomplished. College was a fun yet grueling part of my life, and I'm happy for the experience and what I learned. If you're wearing it to impress people, well that's no different than having to have the biggest baddest loudest car on the block...in which case yes, I think it's stupid. If you wearing for you (because your proud of your acheivements and your time spent at school) then I see no problem with it. People wear their college sweatshirts, hats, etc....I really don't see the difference.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jdschall said:
That reminds me. A couple of days ago, I drove past a lady with one of those license plate thingies that said "Harvard Law class of 1989". As I drove past I noticed that she was digging in her nose. Classy.
expect any greater from a lawyer? :D

jumping back a few posts: "pre-law" and "pre-med" weren't majors, er, concentrations, btw.

and going back to the original post, and agreeing with just about everyone except for loco: class rings are pointless. unless you got four degrees for the full brass knuckles-type effect, i suppose...