Quantcast

Did you see NSMB's '05 Marzocchi coverage?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Seems like the shermans are higher than they need to be so that the reverse arch won't smash into your down tube.

I don't really know for sure, I just wanted to be the 200'th poster

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Incubus said:
Since the 66 measurements have now "officially" :wink: been released, here goes:

150mm - 575mm a2c
170mm - 595mm a2c

...they are tall relative to their travel and 1.5" forks.

I wonder if the 1.125" steerer 6" travel Sherman will have a different axle to crown measurement than the '03 breakout (6" travel, 1.5")
Hmmmmm. in 6" mode it's taller than an 8" boxxer...
DH SC fork is right...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Incubus said:
Since the 66 measurements have now "officially" :wink: been released, here goes:

150mm - 575mm a2c
170mm - 595mm a2c

...they are tall relative to their travel and 1.5" forks.

I wonder if the 1.125" steerer 6" travel Sherman will have a different axle to crown measurement than the '03 breakout (6" travel, 1.5")
I wonder why the axle to crown height on the 150mm 66 is the same as a 170mm 888? It seems like Brian said the 66 was essentially a 888 without the top crown-doesn't make sense.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Dogboy said:
I wonder why the axle to crown height on the 150mm 66 is the same as a 170mm 888? It seems like Brian said the 66 was essentially a 888 without the top crown-doesn't make sense.
You can't slide the "lower crown" on a SC fork, so they have to make it so that it can fit certain tire/rim combos, which could be taller than the min. on a dual crown fork.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dogboy said:
I think that's where the "essentially" part comes in...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
dante said:
You can't slide the "lower crown" on a SC fork, so they have to make it so that it can fit certain tire/rim combos, which could be taller than the min. on a dual crown fork.
With the lower crown all the way down on a 888, it will still clear a 3" tire. Why would the 66 crown need to be any taller than that? I don't think the internals are essentially the same, i'm sure they are the same, but there's no reason the externals should be different.
Edit: I think I may have figured it out. The crown skirts are longer on the 66-that's probably the difference. :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well, along the lines of what frorider said, it also makes sense that the single crown 66 will require more insertion into the crown than the dual crown 888 and therefore it will be taller, all else being equal.

Hmmm, they could wrap a 1.5 crown around a 1.125 steerer and extend it up into the head tube, giving max insertion and low ride height...but then you'd need a 1.5 frame with a 1.5 lower headset cup and 1.125 uppper...wait that wouldn't work, I suppose the key is how much it's inserted BELOW the crown race.

Ahh screw it, if I had unlimited resources I would love to make a 1.5 lowrider single crown and upper fork leg assembly for a 66!!! Bwahahahaha!

Hooo boy this is fun. I kill me. :dancing:

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Dogboy said:
...stuff... Edit: I think I may have figured it out. The crown skirts are longer on the 66-that's probably the difference. :rolleyes:
[funhouse pinball game voice]

We have... a winna!

[/funhouse pinball game voice]

For those of you that have never played funhouse, you're missing out.

The Kadvang said:
Yep, center of the axel to crown race. The axel-crown of my z150 is something like 21 inches. If you have a marzocchi manual its all in there too, a2c of all their forks. Dunno about the sherman though.
Yup, pretty dang close. Looked up the manual for it and it states it is 538mm for the Z150. For anybody wondering the '04 Z1 series is 518mm a2c.

This is interesting to know. The '02 Gemini I just bought says that it was designed based on a 530mm a2c measurement. Back then there were no Breakouts/z150s so they used a special spacer for shorter travel forks and you just reverse them for dual crown fork use.

Hmm, I'll have to measure what the current a2c is with the Psylo and spacer that is currently on there. First thing I'm getting rid of is the Psylo so I've been mulling over which fork to get. All this discussion will help me determine which fork will affect my geometry and how. :thumb: