Quantcast

Diesels in the US

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Personally I don't like the idea of biodiesel that much unless you are talking about production from waste oil. Plowing up more forests to grow crops to fuel cars isn't much better than burning fossil. Diesel from other plant sources like algae seems promising but from what I know it has not been put into any large scale production yet.
The Bio used in mass trans here in Portland comes from soybean farmers who were sucking wind because a lot of companies have outsourced overseas for that stuff.

It's only B5 if I remember, but it's a 3 year deal with the farmers. so it helps the local economy as well as save millions of gallons of fossil. I don't remember the exact numbers, but every city bus is bio.

I have a friend that has been converting waste oil for over a year now. He doesn't keep track, but I would be interested in how much he has recycled over the course of a year or so. He sells it to a few local farmers too for a $1.75 a gallon. He doesn't use enough, so he got authorization through the state to sell a portion that covers his cost plus his own fuel.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
some of the gas station are going to bio fuels and or ethonal based fuels wich will kill a diesel that is not prepped to handle these fuels. alot of the pumps here in the states now have 10-40 % ethanol in thier diesel blends wich means if you had a standard burning motor now you have to add a cetane booster in order to get the same quality of fuel you once used.
This isn't necessarily true...I run 100% Bio here (in the summer) and it doesn't require any mods.
Has been working great for me for four years, no problems, no power loss, no downsides, really.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
This isn't necessarily true...I run 100% Bio here (in the summer) and it doesn't require any mods.
Has been working great for me for four years, no problems, no power loss, no downsides, really.
It can't bee 100% bio or B99.9 because that is pure bio diesel and it will not fire. Bio diesel needs kerosene or some other type of diesel fuel blended with it to make it fire.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It can't bee 100% bio or B99.9 because that is pure bio diesel and it will not fire. Bio diesel needs kerosene or some other type of diesel fuel blended with it to make it fire.
What about the 100% pure stuff made in home kits and the like? I don't think there is any kerosene added.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
What about the 100% pure stuff made in home kits and the like? I don't think there is any kerosene added.
Most of those kits will use kero to add to the mix. Not much but there is still some addded to them. Also the diesel is mostly blended because as it sits in tanks, especially during winter months the fuel will gel over, so the diesel or kero is added to help retard this process. Ever tried to light cooking oil on fire? It doesn't work too well.

Not sure but I think some will use Methanol also.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
yes it might have been labeled B100 but B100 or B99.9 are the actual pure product that comes from the refinery. When it gets into a tank at a terminal it is more than likely going to be blended slightly with either ULSD or Kero, or some other type of diesel to make different grades. Hence why we have B2A, B5, B20, etc. etc. This is done to make cleaner fuels and to stop the gelling process that happens with these fuels.

Biodiesel is solid in blends, labeled B2, B5, B10, B20, B50, B99, with the number stating the percent of Biodiesel in the blend. B20 (20% Biodiesel) is the most common. The highest percentage of Biodiesel usually found is B99, because the fuel must be blended for the blender to receive a federal tax credit.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a card lock station near me that sells B20 for around $2.20 or so. I will buy my wife a veggie-capable truck next year.

Monkey
I drove a few diesels in other states and love them. It's too bad the emission requirements are keeping many otherwise eco-friendly cars out of the US market, in particular California. Why drive a hybrid with all that toxic battery when you can get 40+ MPG in a diesel wagon?:monkeydance: :lighten:

I'm going to hide under s rock before the fury from hybrid owners hit me like a rain of NIMH.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
um Gone FireFighting as a long time diesel owner I can tell you that the only Diesel Fuel available for purchase in the USA is Ultra Low Suphur Diesel. Its been that way for almost 10 months

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml
When is S15 (ULSD) required to be produced and sold?
Introduction of the new 15ppm diesel into different portions of the diesel fuel supply channel will be managed through staggered compliance dates. For North America, there are currently three S15 (ULSD) implementation timelines.

United States (except California)

On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Refinery < 15ppm by June 1, 2006
Terminal < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by October 15, 2006
Off-Road / Locomotive & Marine Fuel < 500ppm by June 1, 2007

California

On-Highway, Off-Road, & Fixed Equipment Diesel Fuel
Terminal < 15ppm by July 15, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Intra-State Locomotive / Marine Harbor Craft Fuel < 15ppm by January 1, 2007

Canada

On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Retail < 22ppm by September 1, 2006
< 15ppm by October 15, 2006

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
The major automakers claim that their is not enough demand for diesel powered cars here. The American public doesn't want them.

I can sort of see how that mentality might have some merit, but with big oil raking in record profits I can't help but think that they wouldn't do what ever it takes to keep people from improving mpg by at least 30%...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
um Gone FireFighting as a long time diesel owner I can tell you that the only Diesel Fuel available for purchase in the USA is Ultra Low Suphur Diesel. Its been that way for almost 10 months

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml
When is S15 (ULSD) required to be produced and sold?
Introduction of the new 15ppm diesel into different portions of the diesel fuel supply channel will be managed through staggered compliance dates. For North America, there are currently three S15 (ULSD) implementation timelines.

United States (except California)

On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Terminal < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by October 15, 2006

California

On-Highway, Off-Road, & Fixed Equipment Diesel Fuel
Terminal < 15ppm by July 15, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Intra-State Locomotive / Marine Harbor Craft Fuel < 15ppm by January 1, 2007

Canada

On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Retail < 22ppm by September 1, 2006
< 15ppm by October 15, 2006
not quite yet bro. my mother works for enforcement and right now says there is only a 53 percent compliance. she issues tickets for this day after day. in fact where I live right now there is only one pump within 40 square miles that actually has ultra low. and stations can still vend all other grades if they wanted to do so.

factorymx

Monkey
Jul 24, 2007
in CT near where i work they have a pump at the HESS that is still the lsd 500ppm which i always get

factorymx

Monkey
Jul 24, 2007
if Toyota puts a heavy duty diesel in the all new Tundra its gonna be all over for Ford & GM in the truck market
They would have to build a whole new truck. The tundra is only 1/2 ton which isnt even comparable. Though i do believe they will eventually come out with one it will probaly be in concept for a long time.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
all the pick up trucks over here are commonrail turbo diesels now, the petrol versions never took off. the new ford ranger 5 speed auto is pretty hot. i am using a 9 yr old diesel courier tho. maybe coz petrol is more expensive then diesel over here.

Vang_9tuzz

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Denmark

America is stupid, who the **** would need a JeepIlikechromewithsixdoorscauseitdontmakesence like than....get a f*cikn lorry....I like when Topgear, british carshow on the telly, tested the f150 or what ever....it was too big, ****ty to drive etc nad that way it is with most of ya cars.

Americans idea of a car is just kinda fubar....emisson regualtions that are f*cked...get smaller cars with smaller motors...

Besides we like the dollar rate as it is, we can import lux cars, merc, bmw, lexus and so on with loads of extra equipment and save loads on a car that's a few years old. So we don't have to pay too much in import taxes.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

America is stupid, who the **** would need a JeepIlikechromewithsixdoorscauseitdontmakesence like than....get a f*cikn lorry....I like when Topgear, british carshow on the telly, tested the f150 or what ever....it was too big, ****ty to drive etc nad that way it is with most of ya cars.

Americans idea of a car is just kinda fubar....emisson regualtions that are f*cked...get smaller cars with smaller motors...

Besides we like the dollar rate as it is, we can import lux cars, merc, bmw, lexus and so on with loads of extra equipment and save loads on a car that's a few years old. So we don't have to pay too much in import taxes.
Come again?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was trying to draw a line between commercial and consumer grade.

obese make my toy hauler sound like springer drama.

anyways....I had thought about going commercial for a pull rig. If I did I would go this way. the new F650

This is where I draw the line between "my wang is a little small/i'm balding" (your current monster) to "invisidick".

Has a nice day! :)

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
You mean to tell me that American trucks don't work well in Europe!? I'm shocked:banghead:
Anyway, I really would like to be able to get a lighter diesel pickup. My little Toyota is the perfect size but the weak-suck V6 makes towing next to impossible. With a healthy turbo diesel it would be perfect. Here's to hoping we get it figured out in the next couple years...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
You mean to tell me that American trucks don't work well in Europe!? I'm shocked:banghead:
Anyway, I really would like to be able to get a lighter diesel pickup. My little Toyota is the perfect size but the weak-suck V6 makes towing next to impossible. With a healthy turbo diesel it would be perfect. Here's to hoping we get it figured out in the next couple years...
you can drop in a small cat diesel for less than 3 grand. if you live in cali you will have to spend another grand to get it to pass smog.

if you want more info let me know, i still have all the swap info from my tacoma.

Vang_9tuzz

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Denmark
No they don't, besides they are too expensive....

FTW;

Toyota land cruiser BJ 70 and BJ 73

Land Rover Discovery and Defender

Nissan patrol, can remember the certain model numbers, but they rock non the less.

With the diesel engine versions, these puppies will outclass everything IMO.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
No they don't, besides they are too expensive....
I know, that's sarcasm. FWIW they work pretty damn well here where your pansy assed little euro or japanse trucks are too damn small and weak to cut it :busted: (that's sarcasm too)

gonefirefightin: I'd love to see any info you've got. I've got a little '93 4x4 that I love but the 3vze is pathetic.