Quantcast

difference between jagwire brake/derailleur housing?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
is there a difference? i am finding the brake cable for a few bucks less on ebay, and i have 20$ sitting in my paypal account.

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
I'm no expert, but I tried brake cable housing once and it did not work/last well. The metal strands/belts in shift cable housing run along the length of the housing. Brake cable has the strand in a tight spiral. I think that is the case with Jagwire, Shimano or about any other. Not sure why that makes such a big difference, but it did and it was also pointed out to me by a LBS mechanic.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Shift housing has longitudinal wires, brake is a single coil. Shift housing is also narrower.
The brake stuff is cheaper and tougher, but it changes length slightly as it bends. Don't use brake housing on any shift cable sections which will see movement, such as the front section which moves as you steer. Fixed sections on a rigid frame won't cause a problem.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shift housing has longitudinal wires, brake is a single coil. Shift housing is also narrower.
The brake stuff is cheaper and tougher, but it changes length slightly as it bends. Don't use brake housing on any shift cable sections which will see movement, such as the front section which moves as you steer. Fixed sections on a rigid frame won't cause a problem.

What he said, though shift housing isn't necissarily narrower. It comes in both 4mm and 5mm diameters, brake housing is all 5mm. And don't use shifter housing on brakes, because you'll explode it and have no brakes. Brake housing for shifting isn't so bad, but it won't work as well as the right stuff.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What he said, though shift housing isn't necissarily narrower. It comes in both 4mm and 5mm diameters, brake housing is all 5mm. And don't use shifter housing on brakes, because you'll explode it and have no brakes. Brake housing for shifting isn't so bad, but it won't work as well as the right stuff.

Not fully....... Shifter housing is what we call Linear cable, there is linear brake cable available as well. Difference between the brake and shifter is the linear brake line is overall strength......... and weight.

Normal brake housing compresses, the more pressure is on it, the shorter it gets... IE the more you click your shifter, the more its off...... Linear cable does not compress.

Basically.... use shifter housing for shifting, brake for brakes.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
dang, its not the end of the world, just thought id be able to get ride of a few bucks in my pay pal haha

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Is this the right time to ask what exactly the difference between normal brake cable and a BMX style 'slick' cabling works?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Is this the right time to ask what exactly the difference between normal brake cable and a BMX style 'slick' cabling works?
Well.... "Slick" cable is just that.... its slick. generally a teflon lining inside the housing. Generally not something there that is specific to BMX as far as the slick cable goes...... NOw the SLick linear usually stays with the BMX......RUnning linear for Mtn just has a way of eliminating any modulation you may have had.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Can you find that color in a shrink wrap? Maybe swing by a hardware store and find the right color, then just wrap the housing, shrink it up and BAM, your all set
good point, i ended up just getting a single speed kit of ebay for 15 bucks.... im not good with money. lmao.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The oddyssey slick cable is just a normal coil-wound brake cable of decent quality. The slick part is just a name.
I feel lied to, next you'll be telling me that the various acronyms describing the latest and greatest full sus bikes are just marketing speak too.

Cheers for the help guys!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I feel lied to, next you'll be telling me that the various acronyms describing the latest and greatest full sus bikes are just marketing speak too.

Cheers for the help guys!
Well the statement was actually true, the oddessey slick is just a lined standard housing...... Its a little better than basic cheap cable..... but still compress's.