Quantcast

Difference between Rc2 and Rc2X?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I am looking at buying a marzocchi rc2 2006 888. It is in good shape (to my knowledge) and my friend who owns the 888 maintains his stuff well. So any one know the difference?

Also, anyone have an time on this fork, what do you think? I own a 2007 fox 40, but I want this as a backup fork, and he is selling it for a good price.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If it is truely an RC2....it is an OEM fork that was a special make up for some bike company to put on a complete. It is missing the X-cartrage....the cartrage that controls mostly the end of stoke damping/anti-bottom out.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not really high/low as traditionally defined.

From the first version of the 888, the 'lsc' was adjusted by closing free bleed ports at the bottom of the cartrage. This does have some effect on LSC but mostly it creates an adjustable anti-bottoming device (as there is still a bleed needle on the piston). More importantly, there is no real way to adjust the transition/knee point from LSC to HSC.

The funny thing, is that Marz forks have always been easy to make 'progressive' in spring nature to prevent bottoming by simply adding more bath oil. The anti-bottoming of the x-cartrage is pretty redundant in this design...although the RC2X certainly is a step up in control over the prior versions. I dont have experience riding only one cartrage vs the other, but I would guess that most of the improvement comes from the RC2 and not the X cart.

X777

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
X cartrige is more like bottom out control and rc2 has rebound a compression adjustmenst. I'd say its kinda mid stroke compression control. dont look for proper LSC and HSC control in this fork as there isnt any... that said it is definately one of the best forks ever made - very durable, reliable, low maintenance kinda thing with avarage weight and it goes up and down too :happydance:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Thanks so much for the help and input. I am attempting to pony up the dough to buy this thing. I was under the impression of the reliability factor, etc... you guys are talking about. Hmmmm, x cartridge, doesn't sound like I would really need it to get me through the weekend if my fox 40 cracked or crapped out on me.

I have a rather large dent in my lowers, and I do change the oil periodically, but I think the lowers will crack soon if I smack them good on something, and I won't have $279 (yes, I have to pay for school soon) to put into lowers that are just going to crack again.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
No one got it quite right.
The x cartridge controls the second half of the compression stroke. The cartridge has several holes along the outside of it, all in the upper half, As the fork/piston inside the cartridge compresses, oil easily exits those holes. Once the piston has moved past them, oil flow is directed to the bottom of the cartrisge, where it escapes through ports controled by the adjuster on top of the fork leg.
Adjusting oil levels in marzocchi forks is a good way to control bottom out, but it really is not a progressive control of the latter part of the stroke, unless you only care about controlling the last quarter inch of travel.