Quantcast

Difference bewteen black and white boxxers?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Is there a difference between the black lower boxxers and the white ones? I know the black ones come OEM on bikes?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Cool! I eard somewhere that forks that come OEM or of less quality. I'm not saying that but I read it here somewhere

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
i think you may be in the wrong forum for these kinds of questions :)

but on a serious note, do a search here and pinkbike, there must be a million threads on this very topic. hell i think theres one from me even from 3 years ago or so

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The black ones won't make it so obvious that your almost brand new fork has blown it's seals and sh*t all over itself.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The black ones won't make it so obvious that your almost brand new fork has blown it's seals and sh*t all over itself.
exactly how does one 'blow the seals' on a fork that doesn't really need seals and has only 20cc of oil in the lower legs.

Oh, that's right, never perform even the most basic maintenance and blame it on fork. i can't even begin to tell you how many 'blown' boxxers i've fixed (ie cleaned) in the parking lot at races with 10 minutes, a couple rags, and some fresh grease. dirty seals leak, clean seals don't and 99% of boxxer seal issues are the fault of the owner. fact!

case in point, i ran into a kid at Whiteface with loads of oil running down the outside of the lower legs, said he sent it in last time it happened and it cost him a bunch of money and was pretty upset his seals were 'blown' again. asked when it had been cleaned out last, the answer was 'never.' long story short the fork got a proper overhaul and has been fine since. http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45747

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I would agree that's the case 90% of the time. I still see a lot of durability issues out of them under owners who take REALLY good care of the seals.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
exactly how does one 'blow the seals' on a fork that doesn't really need seals and has only 20cc of oil in the lower legs.

Oh, that's right, never perform even the most basic maintenance and blame it on fork. i can't even begin to tell you how many 'blown' boxxers i've fixed (ie cleaned) in the parking lot at races with 10 minutes, a couple rags, and some fresh grease. dirty seals leak, clean seals don't and 99% of boxxer seal issues are the fault of the owner. fact!

case in point, i ran into a kid at Whiteface with loads of oil running down the outside of the lower legs, said he sent it in last time it happened and it cost him a bunch of money and was pretty upset his seals were 'blown' again. asked when it had been cleaned out last, the answer was 'never.' long story short the fork got a proper overhaul and has been fine since. http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45747
So do you recommend pulling dust wipers/packing with grease/new oil once or twice a month?

I just picked up a Boxxer, and treated my last one like crap, so I'd like to do this the "right" way now.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I do mine once a month unless I ride a few really muddy days or a pressure washer is used, new lube and oil. Why wouldn't you want to take care of an expensive piece of equipment. Take 20 minutes while watching your favorite show or listening to some tunes and you are all ready to go. Loosen the upper and lower crown bolts, slide the lowers and stanctions off and go to work.

If you can't take 20 min out of your life then you need to re-evaluate it. Hell, half of you can do this while at work seeing as 90% of your posts are done while at work.

It still amazes me how many people spend that much money, neglect it and then bitch when something goes wrong instead of taking some time to do preventive maintenance. Just one more reason why I rarely buy used equipment unless I know the seller well.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I do mine once a month unless I ride a few really muddy days or a pressure washer is used, new lube and oil. Why wouldn't you want to take care of an expensive piece of equipment. Take 20 minutes while watching your favorite show or listening to some tunes and you are all ready to go. Loosen the upper and lower crown bolts, slide the lowers and stanctions off and go to work.

If you can't take 20 min out of your life then you need to re-evaluate it. Hell, half of you can do this while at work seeing as 90% of your posts are done while at work.

It still amazes me how many people spend that much money, neglect it and then bitch when something goes wrong instead of taking some time to do preventive maintenance. Just one more reason why I rarely buy used equipment unless I know the seller well.
Seeing how the 2010 Boxxers are coming without oil or lubrication, that sounds like a good argument FOR buying used goods.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Seeing how the 2010 Boxxers are coming without oil or lubrication, that sounds like a good argument FOR buying used goods.
they are, it just seems to get used up quickly during the break-in period (or migrates into the spring leg on team) and rather than taking 10 min to actually care for the fork complaints get posted here instead.

Sorry, but most of the people complaining have no idea how their fork works or how to take it apart, so i'm not quite ready to fully believe their assessment of whats 'wrong' with their boxxers.

I think RS should ship the forks with zero grease and require the buyer to do it. that way if you want one you'll be forced to learn how to work on it right from the get go. :cheers:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Might as well just ship it in pieces at that point. Not an altogether bad idea though. At least the performance will be a direct byproduct of how well the USER assembled it, always.