Quantcast

differences between a DJ bike and a freeride bike?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Not sure how I got to thinking about this, but what are the differences between a typical freeride bike and a typical DJer?

Seems like a DJers are usually HTs and freeride rigs are longer travel full squish. Could something like a Kona Cowan with a Pike be used for FR stuff? Having never done any freeriding and very little DJing, I'm way ot of my league here.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jacksonpt said:
Not sure how I got to thinking about this, but what are the differences between a typical freeride bike and a typical DJer?

Seems like a DJers are usually HTs and freeride rigs are longer travel full squish. Could something like a Kona Cowan with a Pike be used for FR stuff? Having never done any freeriding and very little DJing, I'm way ot of my league here.
I think it depends on what kind of "freeriding" you will be doing. Sq-Earl likes his Cowan (currently set-up as a SS with an older Marzzochi Z-1 fork) for riding stunts (bridges, rocks, smaller drops, etc.) and DJs. He uses his Bullit for longer travel full-squish stuff (big drops, DHing, etc.).

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
dj are usually built for dj and not as much trail riding, on the other hand freeride bikes usually have the ability to do a little of everything usually around 5-6 inches of travel while dirt jumpers have like 4-5 or are HT

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i am not a dirt jumper by any stretch, but it comes down to suspension, size, and geometry.

typical dirtjump bike: small, maybe no front brake, possibly singlespeed to eliminate ghost-shifting and other potential hazards, hardtail, limited front travel, steeper head angle, semi-slick tires.

typical freeride bike: 6"+ suspension on either end, slack geometry, bigger, burlier tires and wheelset, 'regular' sized frame.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
From what I gather, "freeride bikes" were originally supposed to be bikes that were light enough to pedal uphill, but strong enough and having the proper geometry for stunts and jumps. IMO a DJ bike is always a hardtail, with geometry for jumping (BMX like).

The line has gotten so blurred between DH bikes and freeride bikes, and DH riding and freeriding for that matter. You have people freeriding on DH bikes and DHing on freeride bikes, and companies making bikes that claim to be able to do both.

I don't think there is one answer to the question - you can use almost any mountain bike for jumping, and almost any mountain bike for downhill, it's just a matter of the geometry and strength of the frame and components that differentiates things.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
From what I gather, "freeride bikes" were originally supposed to be bikes that were light enough to pedal uphill, but strong enough and having the proper geometry for stunts and jumps. IMO a DJ bike is always a hardtail, with geometry for jumping (BMX like).

The line has gotten so blurred between DH bikes and freeride bikes, and DH riding and freeriding for that matter. You have people freeriding on DH bikes and DHing on freeride bikes, and companies making bikes that claim to be able to do both.

I don't think there is one answer to the question - you can use almost any mountain bike for jumping, and almost any mountain bike for downhill, it's just a matter of the geometry and strength of the frame and components that differentiates things.
yea... I know about the whole blurred line thing, that's part of the reason why I'm confused.

I've got enough parts in my garage to build up a second bike... just need a frame (and possibly a fork). I was thinking about a cowan with a pike or sherman as a do-it-all play bike. I know that would be good for DJing, which is where the bike would see most of it's action. But I'd like to get out and ride with you and your chronies at, um... nevermind... but you all are on bigger bikes. Can the cowan do occasional double duty without killing me?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Everything (from the jumps to roadgaps to drops to bridges to skinnys) at you-know-where has been done on a hardtail. The Cowan could definitely handle it.