Quantcast

Differences in Riding Styles

dangitboy

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Golden, Colorado
Maybe someone could explain the different competitive classes that are out there in the MTB competition world..so the newly interested future champs can get a heads up on what to train for?

Thanks.

Dave

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by dangitboy
Maybe someone could explain the different competitive classes that are out there in the MTB competition world..so the newly interested future champs can get a heads up on what to train for?

Thanks.

Dave
Beginner
Sport
Expert
Semi-pro
Pro

BEGINNER: This category is designed for the entry level rider. Beginner races help you to understand the subtleties of the sport allowing you to experience the thrill of mountain biking. After placing in the top five in five races, a beginner racer must advance to the sport category.

SPORT: This racing category reflects improved skills and eveloped strength and stamina that get you to the finish line a little faster. The sport class makes up the bulk of participants at events. You must advance to expert after placing in the top five in five races.

EXPERT: At this level, racing skills, strength and stamina have reached an exceptional level; racing is very competitive.

SEMI-PRO: This is the racing level that allows riders to fine tune their racing stamina and technical skills before entering the Professional ranks. Any expert rider may be eligible to be upgraded to semi-pro after placing in the top ten at a NORBA National Championship Series (NCS) event; placing in the top five in two American Mountain Bike Challenge (AMBC) races; or placing in three top five finishes at a State or Regional Championship race. To race at this level, you must submit a NORBA upgrade request form (www.usacycling,org) to the NORBA office or regional coordinator. A rider should allow 3 to 4 weeks for a decision to be made. Professional teams look to identify new talent from this category. Note there can only be a difference of one category between disciplines. There is no semi-pro class for women.

PRO: This is the highest level of racing. A Semi-pro man or Expert women rider placing in the top five or two top ten finishes at a NORBA National Championship Series (NCS) event may be eligible to be upgraded to pro. To race at this level, you must submit a NORBA upgrade request form (www.usacycling,org) to the
NORBA office. A rider should allow 3 to 4 weeks for a decision to be made. A NORBA professional license is an international license, which is required to race internationally. Note: In accordance with racing regulations, if you do not upgrade, you may be subject to suspension.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Good info Heidi, thanks. Any idea on where the best place is to get info about local race scenes/circuits? I'd guess my LBS? My LBS wasn't very helpful, so I'm hoping you might have another suggestion.