Quantcast

differences mtx bike vs dj bike?

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Help me out guys I have a santa cruz chameleon I use for ds and mountain cross I would like to get ibto dirt jumping.What are the differences in the bike?is just burlier components or are the frame numbers different?Also if I can use my chameleon frame how would it be best to set it up for a newb dirt jumper.Thanks.:lighten:

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Dirt Jump bikes usually are lower and shorter, with a tighter wheelbase as well. A dirt jump frame typically burlier and heavier than a MTN-X bike. They will often come with stronger components than a MTN-X bike if you get a complete bike, and sometimes have a shorter travel front fork. Head angle varies as well.

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
You could, kinda like how the Giant XTC can be. Not really made for it, but people have been known to. I recommend just getting a new DJ frame, that way you won't risk jacking your Chameleon up. No use killing a frame and having to buy a new one when you could have bought a new one in the first place.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Giant STP, Azonic Steelhead, Specialized P.1 (strip the parts you don't like), used Evil DOC.

There are tons of options out there.

The reality is though if you're not going HUGE then you'll be more than fine with your Chameleon in 4x guise.