Quantcast

Differences???

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So I have received many PM's and emails about how I'm liking Canada and is it better or worse. Well I thought I would start a thread instead of re-typing over and over again. Some of you know I use to live in So. Cal. and have sinced moved to the capitol of B.C.

There are a lot of things I have had to get used to. Some of them are cool and some suck!

I like the overall politeness and general genuine concern for others. That is clearly in absence in California where I lived. It always seemed like everyone was self absorbed caring very little about how they affect others. Canadians in my experience so far are quite different. They seem more social and more apt to help someone out.

I actually get to expereince seasons changing!
Government services are far more helpful and informative.
Cleanliness (I rarely see paper or trash scattered about)
Less smog.
Far more advocacy for bike riders.
Less violent crime.
Lots of support for Vegans/Vegetarians.
Less people (it's not so crowded)
Folks seem to have more of a general concern for the enviornment.
Slower pace of life. Not everyone seems to be in such a blinding hurry.

DISLIKES
The fastest you can go anywhere on the island is 90K. I'm getting used to it though.
Sexual consent age is only 14! WTF!!!
Everything closes early. It's tough to find some general services after 7PM.
Lack of competitors when it comes to car insurance, cable, gas/electric and such.
High prices for goods that have been imported.
Gas prices .99/litre...ouch!
Extremely loose emissions regulations. (cars, powerplants and such)

There's more but that's all I cna think of for now....D

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
About the seasons changing, talk to me in January. As for the speed limits, that really does suck. (I was pulled over within 10 minutes of driving into Vancouver). The speed limits in Ontario are more normal.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Good riding over there? Right now i'm working on a hospital expansion in Mt. Vernon. If i could see over the San Juan Islands i'd try chucking a rock on you. We're a touch weird in Washington...

tomyboy

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Irvine
Far more advocacy for bike riders.
Folks seem to have more of a general concern for the enviornment.

DISLIKES
Extremely loose emissions regulations. (cars, powerplants and such)
There's more but that's all I cna think of for now....D
So the cars you buy there pollute more but because there's so few of them, you can't really notice it?

Sounds pretty good deal in terms of trade offs. How did you like/manage the switch of jobs?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So the cars you buy there pollute more but because there's so few of them, you can't really notice it?

Sounds pretty good deal in terms of trade offs. How did you like/manage the switch of jobs?
I still can't work legally yet but I'm alomst there...now if it would just stop raining for more than 12hrs :D....D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey BMX man, I know a guy that lives up there named Travis Field, he is a hell of a rider.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
what kind of riding?....D
Mostly freeride stuff. He was a navigator in the canadian air force and would come to hawaii alot and make us all look stupid when he came to town. But I have no doubt he's an excellent trail rider as well. Just one of "those" guys.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Mostly freeride stuff. He was a navigator in the canadian air force and would come to hawaii alot and make us all look stupid when he came to town. But I have no doubt he's an excellent trail rider as well. Just one of "those" guys.
cool maybe I'll run into him...the MTB community here is pretty tight...D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'd think anywhere aside from so cal would seem friendly and clean.

Glad you like the move!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Comments about 14 year olds and age of consent don't bug me. I don't care what the age of consent is - it doesn't apply to MY HOUSE.

My kid will be lucky if I let her go on a date before she's 21.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Comments about 14 year olds and age of consent don't bug me. I don't care what the age of consent is - it doesn't apply to MY HOUSE.

My kid will be lucky if I let her go on a date before she's 21.
I knew plenty of chicks that grew up in the same environment. Once out of their parents reach they truly went wild.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I knew plenty of chicks that grew up in the same environment. Once out of their parents reach they truly went wild.
I have to agree there....my son is 15 and it's a constant battle to give him some freedom but not too much...D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Seriously, my kid is shy and smart and she went through a hell of alot before I had full custody.

I watch her very carefully but she also has a very solid conscience. She knows I trust her (to a point) and at the same time I don't trust anyone she hangs out with. I don't rely on other parents to instill any sense into their kids.

One thing I always need to keep in mind is that her mother is/was totally screwed up. It affects her deeply, and definitely keeps her on the narrow.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Hey BMXman, what part of Victoria do you live in? Here's the view from my backyard on top of Triangle Mountain yesterday. Amazing what a little snow does to this place.