Quantcast

dig deep or dig far?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
hi all! we're about to start a brand new spot in the woods. We planned few lines to start with (each 4 doubles, 1 big table, at the end a big qpipe surrounded by 1/4 berms and hips), and enough room for expansion later on. Now the dilemma we're having is this: there are only 2 options to get the dirt. Either dig some large bowl-like holes, next to the lines, or dig out the actual lines by making them like .5m deep.

So I'll serve you the pros and cons for each, and I'd be glad to hear some thoughts about this.

big holes pro:
- produces large amounts of dirt
- the dirt is of superb quality
- bowl-shaped holes are fun to ride, specially if they interact with the main lines
- drainage for the line is rather easy, terrain is already angled slightly
- lines are clean surfaces with doubles on top
- I find it easier to shape/smear pack things that are completely accesible
big holes con:
- they're big
- need to move the dirt from the holes to the lines
- the center will be muddy throughout the year (rains like one time a week)

deep lines pro:
- not a lot of disctance between digging and where the dirt comes; ideal job for machinery
- a part of the jumps just gets digged out so less dirt needed for the base
- the rest of the terrain remains untouched
- if done right, the amount of dirt digged out equals the amount of dirt needed for the line
deep lines con:
- the top layer of dirt is only usable for the base, not for the surface of jumps
- for drainage the entire line should be angled slightly to the left or the right, and need to dig trenches right next to the entire line
- it just doesn't look as nice
- there's only one way to ride the terrain, and that's following the lines

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
If it rains a lot where you are, it's better to not have pits between your jumps. Make it all above-ground and have a big source pit hole further away. Yes, it's more work rolling a wheelbarrow, but everything worth doing is worth doing right. You'll save a lot of work of constantly having to bail out your pits. (Drainage trenches for pits is possible, but I think you're right, it can end up being more of a pain and sometimes looks bad).

Plus, after you've created the massive pit, you can run a line through it (for the occasional times when it's not muddy) and make a good step down to step up out of it.... It will give some elevation change to the spot if it's otherwise flat....

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
thanks for the replies. there's plenty of rain here, and the area is already quite moist by itself, so we figured drainage might become a bigger problem than we thought at first.
Anyway we decided there's only one way to find out so we're going to start off with a single 'deep' jump and see how it behaves.

@Beast: yeah that's already quite deep. looks like almost enough dirt for like 2 doubles?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Brandon, how is Sunset right now? Really wet? Rideable for the weekend? I need to get some practice in for the Ranch Style comp.
The puddles were gone as of yesterday, and we've cleared most of the snow and completely rebuilt the upper right line (the one seen in the pic). However, it's going to snow more soon: http://www.accuweather.com/us/co/golden/80401/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&metric=0

Bottom line, I don't think she'll be ridable this weekend.