Quantcast

Dig dug. My winter dig thread.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I see what you mean about the dirt in the upper area.
Yeah, it realy doesn't get much worse. It is about 60-70% rock, with a nasty clay.
We usually make the base of the lips/landings with the $hit dirt, then bucket/Wheel barrow up better dirt from below.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Good lord those berms looks good. How do you figure out the shape for yours? Every berm i've ever dug becomes a big ol trial and error fest when it's done. Any magic secrets you wanna share? :D

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Me and the bros threw it down savage today. We moved absurd amounts of dirt. We must have put at least 40 to 50 wheel barrow loads just on the new lip alone. My hands bled. It was good.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
as an aspiring dirt jumper i have to say those are sweet! though i have no doubts that i will never attempt such extra large jumps as those! it does make me want to go work on my own pitiful attempt at Dj trails however.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
:cheers:that is a crazy amount of digging. Props dude. I could get that lip done in a good 10 hours of digging straight ( i work by myself). Did you get to that point where you feel like your muscles are about to explode but you wanna finish.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I can tell you that this spot owns the Woodward trails. It is easily twice as sick.

And, yeah, we should start pimpin the new spot again.
I only know woodward from pics and vids. Always looked pretty sick to me. But you saying that will make sure I always drive north instead of south. It's crazy how fast you guys are getting stuff up.

I've got to put on some skis and go get all my tools out of the woods saturday morning :rofl:

jimmy d

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
Berthoud
Man this stuff is off the hook! I've been following your post for quite some time now and I finally had to chime in. You sir are truley one of the most fortunate people I know of. Great dirt, great trails and an awesome crew to get this kind of work done.
I love riding and I love digging but I'd really love to see some video footage of you guys nailing these jump to berm to jump lines!

Will all of thes spots be featured on From Dusk till Dirt?

http://www.ridesuperco.com/2008/

Tee Buck

Monkey
Nov 7, 2007
NorCal
Headin out to dig and get this spot ready!!! Its gonna be so wet it will be like shoveling at the beach!

Oh yeah secret looks like like a little fun:brows:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Man this stuff is off the hook! I've been following your post for quite some time now and I finally had to chime in. You sir are truley one of the most fortunate people I know of. Great dirt, great trails and an awesome crew to get this kind of work done.
I love riding and I love digging but I'd really love to see some video footage of you guys nailing these jump to berm to jump lines!

Will all of thes spots be featured on From Dusk till Dirt?

http://www.ridesuperco.com/2008/
Thanks, and yeah, all of these spots will be shredded like you could not imagine in Dusk til Dirt.
It will be out in a week or so.:rimshot:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Good lord those berms looks good. How do you figure out the shape for yours? Any magic secrets you wanna share? :D

I don't have any magic secret for burm building. Guess i just have an eye for them after building them over and over again for hella years. Everyone of the homies can build an epic burm.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Damn. I'm guessing your dig to ride time ratio is 3:1 - which is about on par for my crew and me. Worth it in my opinion.

Once again, really really nice work on everything. Anyone who has tried to build a berm knows how much time it takes and how hard they are to get just right.

I think my wheelbarrow count record is like 20 for a 2-3 hour dig session. I was losing count so would have to repeat the load number I was on with each shovel. Not sure if I would be able to dig until I bleed - that's too burly for me, but I have had to learn how to dig switch at times because my effin' shoulder was in so much pain from cutting the dirt and roots.

I really can't wait to see some vid of that place getting run.

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
Inspiring thread…I have been digging every day for the past week at my local trails and this makes me want to throw down even more.

May 21, 2008
corvallis oregon
i remember having a back yard big enough to actually ride in, but that was when i was like six. appearntly i didn't know about shovels then becasue it was just good ol cinder blocks with plywood on top. now days we live in the city.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I think my wheelbarrow count record is like 20 for a 2-3 hour dig session.
nice, never thought people would be talking wheelbarrow count here; it's a whole technique on it's own, depending on shovel type, soil type, roots vs rootless, wheelbarrow height vs digger height, the digger itself,...
fastest I can get is about one wheelbarrow each 5 minutes; when I just started it would take me 15 minutes or more, I had clearly no idea there were faster ways to get things done.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
We been working on the next dub after the new hip. It is suposed to be a long-low for speed to the next hit, that will be the Boss of all jumps at Secret.
The long-low doesn't look like it in the pic, but it is a 27 foot gap. And, it is the hugest lip to a long-low that i have ever seen.

It's kind of confusing looking in the pics, cuz you see a burm after the long-low landing, but that burm is getting altered/moved to make room for a massive hit straight outa the long-low. It WILL be the Boss of all jumps.

Our big a$$ hole we been diggin outa for the last week.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
27 foot long and low to a big ass dub.........

Make that next friggin lip 10 feet tall :)

I gotta get up there and earn some digging points.
Bull$hit broseff. All you have to do is come shred. All trail bosses get free passes. No digging for you at this spot. I forbade you.

The next lip will be no shorter than 7 feet. I promise you this.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
So just wondering for all your spots you've been digging at. How did you choose the location?
They are all random reasons we started trails where they are. When an opportunity to start some sick trails in a sick spot, we jump on it, no matter where it is. I've lost count of all the spots we've been building over the last few years. Seems like we start a new one every few months. Some get plowed, and some stick around.
Me and the homies are off to build some sick as$ trails at a new spot in L.A. tomorrow, then at the end of the week, we are headed to build some sick new trails with a tractor in Santa Rosa with our homie Andrew Taylor, and C McCaul, thanks to Rock Star.
Both new spots should be epic, and i will get some pics as we build them.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
damn man, damn. that is good. i rode a set yesterday with a long and low to 6.5ft lip. it was sick. not 27ft by any means, but still so good