Quantcast

Digging/building at Ipswitch Park in Chesapeake, VA

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Hey, I have several questions regarding the show out at the Switch, and since this seems to be the spot, thought I'd post them here.

1. What is the current status with the city regarding the Jumps? I know they have been there for years, but I want to know what the official position is on them? I dirt jump on my 26", and over this summer the 20" riders have taken over building piss poor jumps. I want to go in and rebuild in a massive way, but do not wish to put the effort in unless I know the status.

2. What would the view of EVMA, the City, and the universe in general regarding the use of a walk-behind bobcat to rebuild the jumps in a sustainable manner?

3. Regarding the trial: when do we think that building out there of a substantial nature can occur? If the money is there, or can be raised, I would like to advocate the rental of a walk-behind bobcat to bust out the trial bed in a quick order. I have used these several times to build trails, and in my opinion, for something like the Switch this would be the most economical and efficent option.

4. What is the trail type going to be? Is the intent of those in the know and those of action to make this a sanitized, all XC, no bump trail? Or can we as freeriders come together with our bretheren who prefer to stay earth bound to build a true multi-rider trail? I am thinking drops, mostly natural style items, maybe using cinder blocks I can get donated, things like that.

5. Is the city going to give EVMA some sort of enforcement powers over this trail? I am from New Orleans, and we had massive problems with many of the same issues that the Switch trail faces. Idiots on 4 wheelers, redneck kids with paintballs, crack heads copulating in the bushes, we had it all. Once the Army Corps gave us the powers of regulation over our trail, many of these issues went away. In particular are we going to have some sort of ability to insist on helmets?

6. Back to the jump area. Would EVMA be interested in doing some New Quarter sort of work in that area?

7. On the subject of the logs out there. Sometimes logs are fun, I like running over them, jumping them, etc. However, I understand that sometimes a log is just too much to get over. Can we get a special ryder from the city to allow EVMA on organized work days to use an ATV for trail work? You can haul a log sideways, or around, with a healty sized atv.

I have a lot of energy in regards to this project. I am looking to purchase a home in the area so I can be close to and involved in Ipswitch. let me know where things are, how I can help, all that good stuff.

tolleyman

Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I am an EVMA member and while I can't speak for any other members I will say that I am all bout jumps, logs, elevated track, whatever makes it more technical or challenging. I have never met a member yet that wasn't fairly open minded about that kind of stuff.

However , EVMA does not just have free reign over what can be built out there, we do have to comply with the requests of the city officials. And sometimes anything that appears "dangerous" to non-bikers will be turned down.

Keep your fingers crossed and maybe we can do some cool things out there.

As far as using a Bobcat, whenever we organize a trail maintanence day or trail building day out there, we always welcome as much help as possible, people and equipment.

See ya.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
i dont really know anything about this area yet or even whats down there in ipswitch. so i cant erally talk on waht we can and cant get away with as far as feautres and jumps. but from just paying attention alittle to whats going on with 495 up in NoVA just as long as we keep sh!t lookin decent and nice i doubt the city will have any big issues with anything. it'll also be next to impossible to regulate things like helmets. no matter waht your gunna get dumb kids out there who dont think they need them and theres really no way to enforce that at a public park like that. maybe signs regarding riding at yoru own risk? i dunno, i'll definitely be up for helping out and puttin in some shovel time ot get it all looking good and fun to ride. just lemme know when

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Me and The Frito Bandito will be out digging again in the afternoon of Thursday. We went out today and started a new line. I'll drop you a PM.