fuji = $280

$100 for the smallness?

that is all

Edit: 520 not 510

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It looks good. It has 3 optical zoom. Whats refractive zoom?

I have been looking at the small canons. I really like those.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have this one --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830113128

It absolutely rocks. Bought it for the Ireland trip and it took great pictures. 7.1 megapixels. It's also pretty compact. Looks like it's only 20.00 more then the one you posted.

luken8r said:
Megapix doesnt mean crap, just a bigger picture in the end
After taking pix with my new camera and taking pix with my old 3.0 megapixel camera and comparing them I would say that the amount of megapixels DOES matter. That bigger picture also gives you better detail.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
luken8r said:
Ive had my eye on a Canon A510, tis on my xmas list

Megapix doesnt mean crap, just a bigger picture in the end

optical zoom is where its at
this canon = 4x
this fuji = 3x

canon = $180
fuji = $280

$100 for the smallness?

that is all

Edit: 520 not 510
Actually she like to carry a camera in her purse and my Fuji S4000 isn't cutting it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a large MP camera is very useful for cropping, but it isn't a be-all/end-all for lens quality.

i was hoping that santa would drop a DSLR for xmas, but the wife and i have decided on something else.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ciaran said:
I have this one --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830113128

It absolutely rocks. Bought it for the Ireland trip and it took great pictures. 7.1 megapixels. It's also pretty compact. Looks like it's only 20.00 more then the one you posted.

After taking pix with my new camera and taking pix with my old 3.0 megapixel camera and comparing them I would say that the amount of megapixels DOES matter. That bigger picture also gives you better detail.

I have the 5600 and it takes great pictures. In the sport mode, just hold it down and it takes good fast sequences.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
I got my Sister the new Nikon S2. I played with it for a few days before handing it off to her. If i was looking for a small dig. thats what I would be getting. (b/c its splash proof).

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
It looks huge to me. Almost the size of my sandwich...

The quality of the MP is more important than the number of MP. All of these tiny point and shooters use teensy weensy sensors so the MP quality is all about the same.

One thing that many folks don't compare is the flash output of those teensy weensy flashes on those tiny cameras. If she is going to be using it indoors and/or in low light conditions, a unit that has a stronger flash (relatively speaking) would be a better choice.

www.dpreview.com has tons of quality info.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
justsomeguy said:
It looks huge to me. Almost the size of my sandwich...

The quality of the MP is more important than the number of MP. All of these tiny point and shooters use teensy weensy sensors so the MP quality is all about the same.

One thing that many folks don't compare is the flash output of those teensy weensy flashes on those tiny cameras. If she is going to be using it indoors and/or in low light conditions, a unit that has a stronger flash (relatively speaking) would be a better choice.

www.dpreview.com has tons of quality info.
Awesome man! Thanks for the good advice.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
In considering a point and shoot, you might want to think about your future camera plans. If you buy another camera, you might want it to use the same style of media card and maybe the same kind of battery, etc. I think you generally need both point-n-shoot and SLR if you have more than a basic interest in it.
I just bought a Canon S60 and a 20D. The S60 and 20D use the same CF cards and both shoot in 'RAW' mode. The S60 isn't insanely expensive and does 5mp. For some more money, the S70 has the same features with more mp but it also jumps in price.
I expect to be using the 20D a lot more than the S60 but the option of both is nice.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
dpreview teh R0xorz

I'm liking the Casio Z750 for the overall speed and movie functions. I think it'll make a great street riding camera.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The new SD series canon elphs kick ass. Great image quality, small size, sleek aluminum bombproof bodies etc.

I use an older 4mp CF based one as my backup, backup camera.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bhphoto.com

will beat just about anyone on pricing, on anything. If you fidn it for less, it's probably a scam. I have spent around $10k there in the last 18 months.