Quantcast

Digi Camera Question: Would using manual mode allow for an instant pic?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You know the problem I have: I push the button and it takes a few moments before the picture snaps.

Would using manual mode on my digital camera (a Canon A520) allow me to take a picture instantly?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no. manual allows you the ability to set aperture and shutter speed independently, based on your metering.

what you want to do is to pre-focus, by pressing the shutter release 1/2 way. this should shorten the time significantly.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Or what you can do is use the rapid fire option and start rattling off shots a couple seconds early... Not great, but another option if your camera does that...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I used to be able to significantly shorten the shutter lag by turning off the LCD screen and using the viewfinder. Most digital cameras now though don't have a viewfinder but if yours does, try that.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sport mode on my Nikon D50 allows me to take a shot without having it try to focus on an object first.

Don't know what camera you're using, but that's how mine works.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Um, of what use is a picture without the subject being focused on?

As the rest have said, only to add to it, half-pressing the shutter button both focuses the camera and also will lock the exposure settings. That eliminates almost all of the lag time, since the camera doesn't have to focus OR meter, and your shutter lag should be pretty short.

Most of the other things you can try - turning off the LCD, "sport" mode, burst mode - won't improve your press-to-shot time as much as a half press of that shutter button.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sport mode on my Nikon D50 allows me to take a shot without having it try to focus on an object first.

Don't know what camera you're using, but that's how mine works.
Um, now. Sport mode turns on an AI servo system where it continuously focuses on the subject.

A DSLR and a point and shoot are very different beasts.