Quantcast

Digital Cameras

mtbpaint

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
University of Connecticut
Any suggestions on what Digital Camera i should buy? I can only spend up to $300 and my printer for my computer is crap so i would probaly get a package deal with a printer. You all know what ill be taking pictures of, DH, FR, DJ's. SO i need something that will take a picture really fast (like as soon as i pusht the button none of that loading crap) and something that makes things look good while they are moving. I obvisouly dont know a lot sooo PLEASE help me out. So far this is what i was thinking of http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2686073

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
First off, I wouldnt buy a camera from Wallymart...sweat pants, yes....camera, no.

Im not a digicam expert, but I would think that THIS DEAL would be a little better. I've heard good things about the Adorama site, but have no personal experience with them.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You get what you pay for man. Spend the whole shot on the camera - Wallmart, Target, Sams club and I'm sure other will print your pics for cheap. Unless you plan on printing every one of your pics, I'd put the money into the camera and let someone else print them for you.

I take my pics to Sams - 4x6 are $.18, 5x7 are like $.29 - I rarely go bigger than 5x7, but I think 8x10s are only like $.50.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
SilentJ said:
First off, I wouldnt buy a camera from Wallymart...sweat pants, yes....camera, no.
Assuming you're buying the same product, it'll frankly be easier to walk back to the big W and say, "This is broken. I want a return," than it would be to deal with B&H or Adorama.

That said, Walmart's probably not going to have the selection you want. If you get lucky and it's cheap, go for it. Best Buy and the like are good places to get the cameras, too, esp. if you want the 4-year service plan (which is kind of a crock, but it's not a terrible idea, either...).

I think the Canon Elph series is pretty good. SD200, maybe. I just got the S70 and am very stoked on it. Never been a huge Canon fan before, but I think their digital compact stuff is awesome.

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Make sure to burn them to CD as well. I make 2 copies. I'd hate to lose the pictures I've taken because my hard disk self destructed.

-S.S.-
:stupid:

i just burned DVD backups of all my crap last night.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
$252.39

Browse around on their site if you don't like Fuji. Great prices. I purchased my last 2 digi cams from them. Zero problems, and shipped fast. Take the advice above and print your pics at Sam's or wherever. It's a lot cheaper than doing it yourself at home.

mtbpaint

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
University of Connecticut
ok i really dont know a lot about cameras. BUT i am just going to buy the camera no printer so i can spend up to $300 on the camera. This site http://www.steves-digicams.com/ has been helping a lot. I need something that has a fair amount of zoom and can take pictures really fast, like im talking 4 or 5 in just a couple of seconds so no take picture wait to load look at picture...none of that

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
:stupid:

i just burned DVD backups of all my crap last night.
That's so cool, taking a camera into the bathroom to take pics of your sh*t.

Dude that's brilliant:thumb: Wish I thought of that, cause I've been so proud of many monuments I've created :p :blah: :)

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I have a canon S400. Pretty indestructible, very small and lots of features. Great pics.

Think hard about size. The best part about the canon is that I can throw it in a camelback or put it in my pocket. I never have to think about whether I want to carry a camera or not. We used to have a kodak that was a lot larger. We missed some great shots in spain because it was too much of a pain to bring a camera along.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
For good deals on cameras(and a ton of other stuff) check out www.overstock.com

I picked up a camera there last year for almos half what it sold for in the stores. It came with a nice case, decent tripod, extra (small) memory card, and cleaning kit. The camera has gone with me to Tasmania, New Zealand, and Australia and will be traveling a lot more. I got the Olympus C-5000 Zoom. While I'm not stoked on it in some conditions, for 350 bucks I don't think I could be happier.

The Ito

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's so cool, taking a camera into the bathroom to take pics of your sh*t.

Dude that's brilliant:thumb: Wish I thought of that, cause I've been so proud of many monuments I've created :p :blah: :)
enough for 3 DVDs worth. maybe i should market it.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Let me just second steves-digicams.com That site is awesome!

Also, be careful with online retailers! Some of them are total scam sites! Be sure to check out resellerratings.com before you order from one. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Royalcamera.com, but if you find somthing for waaaay cheaper than everywhere else, its probably a scam site.

As far as cameras go, if you want somthing small and durable that still takes good pictures, check out the Canon digital Elphs. They are all metal, and take pretty good pictures. they have a few different models, so check them out :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Quite frankly, anything in the sub-$300 pricerange from Nikon, Canon, Olympus or Sony is going to be just fine. There's not much to choose between them, so just pick the one that has a feature you want above the rest - be it 1x more zoom, another megapixel, whatever. I've used a whole bunch of the compact, $200-300 digicams from those three manufacturers and they're all great.

Avoid Kodak, their lenses are crap.

Other than that, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Nikon's Coolpix series tends to give slightly more saturated images which look pretty nice but aren't to everyone's taste. I really like Sony's layouts and menus, I think they're very intuitive, and the images they give are very neutral which is especially nice if you like to play with them in photo editors.

I'd probably go with a Sony if it were me, simply because I've used several of their models and like all of them. My stepmom has one of the super compact ones (P-100, I think?), my ex girlfriend had a P-72 which was larger, and I currently use a DSC-F717. They were all great cameras for their respective price ranges.

www.dpreview.com is a great resource, and so is Steve's Digicams, but don't get too hung up on the nitty gritty minutia of the reviews. The differences that those guys notice between cameras is going to be completely invisible to you for the most part.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mtbpaint said:
You all know what ill be taking pictures of, DH, FR, DJ's. SO i need something that will take a picture really fast (like as soon as i pusht the button none of that loading crap) and something that makes things look good while they are moving.
Honestly, for the price you're looking at, I don't think any of the cameras will be considered good sports photography cameras. To get a digicam that's "really fast", you need to spend a bit more coin (i.e. $1500 and up). With a camera in the sub $300 range, you'll need to become very adapt at pre-focusing, which isn't hard, but forces you to take a few seconds and set up your shot correctly.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
mtbpaint said:
wow nice rock garden :drool:
ill look more into them if know one has problems with Fuji's
A few things I will say about this model. First, it's not as compact as some, and doesn't easily fit into the camelback. I have a Blowfish and it fits in there OK, but not as easy as say a Coolpix or Sony thin models. If you have a small hydration pack, this may be an issue. Second, it only comes with a 16mb card. You will definitely want to pick up another one. They can be purchased cheap from newegg.com or ebay. Third, not this model specific, heed the above advice about crooked online retailers. There's a bunch of them. Check the various rating sites like Nextag or wherever and read what others have said about them. Like I had mentioned, Buydig.com was good and would be a safe place to purchase a camera from if they offer the model you are looking for.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mtbpaint said:
just looked at it. That is something i would be looking for, is it pretty simple to use? and is this a good price? http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=fjfps5000&l=Dealtime

and i would need to buy a SD card with this?
Yes, you'll need to buy an extra memory card for this. Make sure you get the right type of card.

It looks like this model uses AA batteries. You'll need to buy your own charger for it. It says that there is an optional AC adapter. This would be an extra cost if you wanted it.

Abe's of Maine is reputable, but I've never bought from them. The 2 online dealers I have personal experience with and would recommend would be http://www.bwayphoto.com and http://www.butterflyphoto.com. I've received good service from both places.

And make sure you call before you purchase online to double check that you are buying everything you need. If a memory card or battery charger isn't included, it would be nice to know upfront. Also, pay attention to how much pressure the sales person puts on you to buy extras. If they start going into high-pressure sales mode, this is a clue to NOT buy from them. Sometimes if you decline to upgrade your order, the camera you want may mysteriously become back-ordered. If this is the case, hang up and try someone else.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
Honestly, for the price you're looking at, I don't think any of the cameras will be considered good sports photography cameras. To get a digicam that's "really fast", you need to spend a bit more coin (i.e. $1500 and up). With a camera in the sub $300 range, you'll need to become very adapt at pre-focusing, which isn't hard, but forces you to take a few seconds and set up your shot correctly.
Prices are coming down............ have you seen the Nikon/Olympus/Canon digital SLR prices lately?

Although the are *not* in the $300 range...... yet. :sneaky:

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Prices are coming down............ have you seen the Nikon/Olympus/Canon digital SLR prices lately?
Yup. Just bought a Canon 20D here at work. Got it with 3 lenses, tripod, camera bag, uv filter, cleaning kit, extra battery and 1 GB card for just under $2000.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:

Although the are *not* in the $300 range...... yet. :sneaky:

-S.S.-
DSLRs won't be $300 for a long time.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
SkaredShtles said:
The older models (6MP or less) will be in a couple years. Mark my words.

-S.S.-
Yeah, but in a couple years, the older models will be hard to come by for one that still works.

I just got a Canon 10D with 2 batteries for just over 800