Quantcast

Digital Cameras

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My friend has the sony dsc-w1, he takes pretty much only bmx action shots and says it has no delay from when he pushes the shutter button to when the camera actually takes the picture. it's $300.00, you can get different lenses for it, off camera flash and some other cool things. 5mega pixels. the images I've seen from it look great.

I have a 2 mega pixel camera from a few years ago. slow response time from when you push the button to when the camera actually takes the picture. but, I know the subject matter (kids on bikes) well enough that I can get the camera to take the picture at the correct time.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40405

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40407

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40408

*dammit. how can I get the images to show up as thumbnails?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pnj said:
My friend has the sony dsc-w1, he takes pretty much only bmx action shots and says it has no delay from when he pushes the shutter button to when the camera actually takes the picture. it's $300.00, you can get different lenses for it, off camera flash and some other cool things. 5mega pixels. the images I've seen from it look great.
Actually, the accessories you can get for the W1 are pretty chinsy, not really something I'd buy the camera for. The add-on lenses are pretty tiny, only adding a small amount of zoom or wide angle in return for a significant amount more weight and bulk, and the "external flash" is a proprietary Sony deal that's not much of an improvement over the built-in flash.

It's a good camera, but don't buy it because there are add-ons, because the add-ons are mediocre at best :)

Oh, and there is shutter lag, just like any other cheap camera, but it's not bad if you use the pre-focus which is certainly what he's doing since the point and shoot cameras don't focus very quickly.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
binary visions said:
Actually, the accessories you can get for the W1 are pretty chinsy, not really something I'd buy the camera for. The add-on lenses are pretty tiny, only adding a small amount of zoom or wide angle in return for a significant amount more weight and bulk, and the "external flash" is a proprietary Sony deal that's not much of an improvement over the built-in flash.

It's a good camera, but don't buy it because there are add-ons, because the add-ons are mediocre at best :)

Oh, and there is shutter lag, just like any other cheap camera, but it's not bad if you use the pre-focus which is certainly what he's doing since the point and shoot cameras don't focus very quickly.

yea, I figured there was SOME lagtime. did you look at my pictures I posted above? I took them while the rider was still on the flat bottom of the ramp. that is how much lag there is.
the funny thing is, some pro photographers use Large format cameras and those, I've heard, have a huge delay as well. (for skateboard/bike photos.nothing else really matters..;))

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pnj said:
the funny thing is, some pro photographers use Large format cameras and those, I've heard, have a huge delay as well. (for skateboard/bike photos.nothing else really matters..;))
That's true, but as far as I know, very few sports photographers use those large format cameras. Lots of nature/landscape people do, but for that, it matters less.

Nice shots, BTW :thumb:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
That's true, but as far as I know, very few sports photographers use those large format cameras. Lots of nature/landscape people do, but for that, it matters less.
Very true; there are only a handful of medium-format systems which are at all suited for action photography (at least in the magazine/reportage end of it.)

However, they're getting lots better, and really aren't that different from 35mm systems in terms of 'lag'. On ANY reflex camera (where you look through the lens that's taking the pic), there's lag between the shutter being pressed, the mirror swinging up (moving mirror is what enables you to see/shoot through one lens), and the shutter operating, then the mirror moving back into place.

Likewise, there's an image blackout as you shoot, which is kind of a pain, too. But for long-lens shooting, especially, there's no other type of camera suited for the work. Some 35mm SLR cameras have "pellicle" mirrors, which are semi-silvered, and don't move...the camera just takes the picture through the mirror...this leads to less light in the viewfinder and less light on the film, however. They're made specifically for action photos, and don't have any mirror lag.

The mirror on a medium format system is bigger and probably a tad slower than that on a 35mm system, but it's not the primary reason to favor 35mm. 35mm has greater film capacity, smaller size, easier handling, less expense, gets 'more' out of lenses (shorter focal lengths for a given magnification) and perfectly acceptible image quality within most magazine/publication formats. Then again, digital is surpassing film in all these aspects already.

Using medium format for action is like using a Dh bike for your local singletrack. Most people find it more awkward, but the few people who can do it can hold their own against all comers, sometimes with spectacular results.

I'd use a Mamiya 6 to shoot MTB if I could afford another spare camera system...6x6 negs, rangefinder camera, so no lag, accurate fast focusing, no mirror blackout; light and handles fast. You don't get a huge lens selection, but I don't think you really need one, especially with this type of camera.

MD

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
for most action shots you see in the mags and whatnot, the photographer and rider/skater set up the shot. so the lag time isn't as much as an issue as the photographer knows what action is going to happen and where.

for contests or races, lag time can be a huge issue.

/holy thread derailment...:)

for most of your picture taking, any $300.00 camera will suit you well.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
pnj said:
for most action shots you see in the mags and whatnot, the photographer and rider/skater set up the shot. so the lag time isn't as much as an issue as the photographer knows what action is going to happen and where.

for contests or races, lag time can be a huge issue.
Nah, even if you know what you're going to shoot, lag time can still kill that perfect image...it's a Cartier-Bresson 'decisive moment' thing. A split-second difference in images can really make or break a shot. Look at the picture of Muhammad Ali beating Sonny Liston...
In real time, that arm swing was done in a second or less...only because of the absolute split-second perfect timing does the gesture become this timeless image.

In any bike sport, save the Rampage and such, the riders are always coming on a relatively pre-determined course anyhow, so there's not that much difference between shooting a race and shooting a set-up shot...you just don't get advanced warning and infinite chances to re-shoot.

So, yeah, lag on cheap digis really sucks...lag on film SLRs and high end digis is tolerable for most shooters.

MD

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's so cool, taking a camera into the bathroom to take pics of your sh*t.

Dude that's brilliant:thumb: Wish I thought of that, cause I've been so proud of many monuments I've created :p :blah: :)

No... DVD!!
That way he can see it come out.

Turtle... Turtle...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
berkshire_rider said:
Add them to your post as attachments if you want thumbnails.
I already added them to another post. so they are in my 'images folder' or whatever, I just don't know how to access them.

mikeD- skateboard/bikes are not even close to other sports. boxing, basketball, football are on the same par as racing would be. you may know your shooting a guy punching another guy but you don't know EXACTLY when. when a guy on a bike does a trick that you are set to shoot, during a photo shoot. and yes, during those events such as racing, boxing, football, soccer etc, as I mentioned, lag matters. even the lag on a quality SLR.

mtbpaint

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
University of Connecticut
ok i went to my local photo shop today they suggested the Fuji Finepix S5100 which was my main choice. They let me try it out and i thought it was great they also said it would capture things moving fast. There was hardly any delay so is this what i should buy? they told me not to buy it from their own store because they overpriced things. IS this what i should get

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=FJFPS5100

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mtbpaint said:
ok i went to my local photo shop today they suggested the Fuji Finepix S5100 which was my main choice. They let me try it out and i thought it was great they also said it would capture things moving fast. There was hardly any delay so is this what i should buy? they told me not to buy it from their own store because they overpriced things. IS this what i should get

Thats a great camera, but if its somthing you are going to be wanting to take on rides with you, its big. You already held it and played with it, so its your call, just somthing to consider :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mtbpaint said:

Dude, now that you've actually used it, it's time to stop asking the Internet for answers and make an acutal decision yourself...

MD

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mtbpaint said:

Do it...do it

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Did you try and take some motion / action pics when you demo'd it? :confused:

It comes down to this....If the size of the camera doen't bother you, and you like it. Buy it. You can only do so much research before it becomes too much. :oink:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
To continue the thread-hiijack, this is the first news I've seen of a medium format digital camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05022403mamiya_zdpriceavail.asp
You have to wonder how neccessary that is... I'd like to hear from some pros about it. If they're getting the quality they need out of smaller cameras...why bother with the big'un?

I could understand a mini-view camera with studio/archetecture movements and a removable digital back, but why this thing? I have a sneaking suspicion it's just playing to pro photog's biases towards larger film formats...or maybe people who need building-size enlargements or something.

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
You have to wonder how neccessary that is... I'd like to hear from some pros about it. If they're getting the quality they need out of smaller cameras...why bother with the big'un?
Well, I'm pretty certain they're not catering to the market of current DSLR owners.

I'm not all that familliar with medium format cameras, besides simply understanding the concept of a larger negative capturing more information, thus a better quality print. However, if there's a market for medium format cameras, where's the problem with this one? It's simply capturing the data in a digital format for digital storage and/or manipulation. Wouldn't the reason for using this be the same reasons for using a DSLR over a film SLR?