Quantcast

Digital photo printing question

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Transcend said:
Raw is always the same size...blah blah blah...
:confused: Tell me more.

Most serious digital photogs will have many external HDDs. I have 3 300gb ones, and will be picking up a TB network device in a few weeks.
:drool: I only have one internal 80gb. I'm guessing that I might want more than 512MB of RAM too, because sometimes I have problems with pics and video editing.

EDIT: Tell me the differences between JPEG Normal and JPEG Fine, other than the fact that Fine is a bigger file size.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dwaugh said:
:confused: Tell me more.

:drool: I only have one internal 80gb. I'm guessing that I might want more than 512MB of RAM too, because sometimes I have problems with pics and video editing.
A raw image is, as explained, basically a negative. When you select RAW, you will get the highest quality and size your camera will produce. Every time.

You crop after the fact in processing, just as you would when printing a regular photo from film.

I wouldn't try and edit 50mb raw files with 512mb of ram. My desktop has 4gb and my laptop 2gb.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
justsomeguy said:
He can simply export as-is from Capture (I assume this is the one application you're referring to above or use PS (wait, that's a second application) and Abode Camera Raw and export using "image settings."

No need to tweak to get a usable image. Amazing!
There are a lot of ways to have a certain preset curve or image adjustment that can be applied across groups of images.

No matter how you attack it, a JPG comes out of the camera as a "finished" image. A RAW image comes out as a "negative", that needs something applied to it to look good.

That's the last I have to say on the subject, though. You can agree or disagree.

dwaugh said:
Does that mean that I can set it to be any size I want it to be and it will keep the good quality? (or will it still come out 3008x2000 pixels?)
No, certainly not. As far as size goes, what you get as JPG or RAW is 100% of the data that the camera has to offer. It can be enlarged, but only to a certain extent, like you can enlarge any other image. There will be quality degredation.

One of the advantages of RAW though, is that ANY image manipulation you do to it will cause less degredation than manipulating a JPG file. Blowing up an image will always cause a big loss in image quality, though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wow, I have a crap camera and 2gb of memory for Photoshop. If I get a decent SLR, I'm going 4gb for sure. I can't even imagine runnning 512 anymore.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
You crop after the fact in processing, just as you would when printing a regular photo from film.
Does that mean after I get it printed? I'm a beginner, help me out a bit. :)

Anything on JPEG Fine? I'm guessing it is better than Normal, but what makes it better?

Also, my RAW seems to have a problem, they are coming out as 160x120 pixels. The programs that I have to use are Paint Shop Pro 5 and The GIMP.

I thought 512MB of RAM was normal, if not more than normal? Wow, I am living in the past I guess..... :( Time for upgrades... :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dwaugh said:
I thought 512MB of RAM was normal, if not more than normal? Wow, I am living in the past I guess..... :( Time for upgrades... :rolleyes:
Gaming or lots of phot work = more ram the better. Especially for photo work. if you are editing big files, w/ layers, etc, it starts to chew up alot of ram, then the system needs to go to virtual memory (or "scratch disk" in Photoshop) if it runs out. Disk memory is sslllloooowww compared to ram.

Since I upgraded my proc and my ram to 2gb Photoshop (and GIMP) opens and runs screamingly fast and never locks up. I work on multiple 50-100 mb files all the time.

You don't need the absolute fastest ram either, quantity counts more than speed for photo work. Save the expensive ram for the gamers.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
binary visions said:
A RAW image comes out as a "negative", that needs something applied to it to look good.
No matter how many times you repeat it, you remain incorrect.

Perhaps that's true in the white lens world but on the dark side, you don't need to "tweak all of your images before they're even presentable(since it applies no white balance, no sharpening, no contrast enhancement, etc.)" nor do you need to "modify even your "snapshot" pictures."

Open in Capture, save as jpeg, voila, a jpeg with camera settings. No tweaking of white balance, sharpening, contrast, etc. was necessary by the photographer.

Open in PS (ACR is autiomatically launched) tick Camera Settings, save as jpeg voila, a jpeg with camera settings. No tweaking of white balance, sharpening, contrast, etc. was necessary by the photographer.

etc., etc.

binary visions said:
You can agree or disagree.
Thanks for your permission. In related news, the Sun rises in the East!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dwaugh said:
Also, my RAW seems to have a problem, they are coming out as 160x120 pixels. The programs that I have to use are Paint Shop Pro 5 and The GIMP.
PSP5 and GIMP may not handle your RAW file properly. Try using the software that came with the camera - you should be able to open the RAW file that way. There are also other programs available - do a Google search.

PSP and GIMP may have plugins that will support RAW, I'm not sure, I just know that a lot of applications won't natively support RAW.

The image viewing application I pimp all the time, IrfanView, claims it will display RAW images properly but it's pretty limited in the image editing adjustments.

Definitely bump up to a gig at least if you've ever got some spare bucks. I've got a gig right now and imagine I'll upgrade pretty soon. 512 is actually almost considered bare minimum now ;) (not really, but a lot of computers are coming stock with a gig now).

If everything is working smoothly with no serious slowdowns, though, well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
justsomeguy said:
Thanks for your permission. In related news, the Sun rises in the East!
Damn, I open these kinds of threads to learn something. You make it a f8cking chore.

Annnnddd.....IGNORE BUTTON!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Ok... anyone want to answer the question about JPEG Fine? I have been using Normal, but something tells me Fine will be a bit better.

I forget what it said exactly, but when I tried to open the RAW, GIMP said something about not finding something... I'll try it again tonight.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
justsomeguy said:
No matter how many times you repeat it, you remain incorrect.

Perhaps that's true in the white lens world but on the dark side, you don't need to "tweak all of your images before they're even presentable(since it applies no white balance, no sharpening, no contrast enhancement, etc.)" nor do you need to "modify even your "snapshot" pictures."

Open in Capture, save as jpeg, voila, a jpeg with camera settings. No tweaking of white balance, sharpening, contrast, etc. was necessary by the photographer.

Open in PS (ACR is autiomatically launched) tick Camera Settings, save as jpeg voila, a jpeg with camera settings. No tweaking of white balance, sharpening, contrast, etc. was necessary by the photographer.

etc., etc.
Thanks for all the good info JSG. Just got a 20D and finally learning the finer points of PSCS2. This thread has been extremely helpful.

PS--good tip about the sun too.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
H8R said:
Damn, I open these kinds of threads to learn something. You make it a f8cking chore.

Annnnddd.....IGNORE BUTTON!
Oh no! I've been publically ignored by a delicate, fragile flower type.

Oh the humanity, how will I continue posting knowing that he won't be dropping in anymore and whining like a little girl who dropped her snowcone?

dwaugh said:
Ok... anyone want to answer the question about JPEG Fine?
I would REALLY suggest cozying up with your owner's manual and reading it from cover to cover. Many of the answers that you're looking for are right there in the manual.

Yes, fine is better than normal.

Qman said:
Just got a 20D
Congrats. You're just saying the other stuff because we've slept together in strange foreign lands.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
dwaugh said:
Ok... anyone want to answer the question about JPEG Fine? I have been using Normal, but something tells me Fine will be a bit better.
It refers to the amount of compression the camera applies to the jpeg file.

Do you have any mp3's? Think of it in terms of bitrate. The algorithim for Jpeg Fine will toss less info then the one for Jpeg normal. You'll end up with slightly better image quality, but have a larger file.

Take a few test shots on a tripod of the same stationary subject with each setting, blow them up in PS and see if you can tell a difference...

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
justsomeguy said:
Congrats. You're just saying the other stuff because we've slept together in strange foreign lands.
Hey now, let's not be starting horrible rumors. There was no way to fit two people in this room

unless you greased up with the drippings from the whale/elk skewers

after I had too much Aquavit and butter sandwiches

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
dwaugh said:
Does that mean after I get it printed? I'm a beginner, help me out a bit. :)

Anything on JPEG Fine? I'm guessing it is better than Normal, but what makes it better?

Basicly a RAW image is 32x48 inches (I think) for an 8 megapixel file, if you want to print a certain section of that you just crop it so it fits your needs. If you want to print smaller, thats no problem, you just tell it you want a 8x10 or whatever you need and the printer drivers will figure it out, you will get the full image but in the coerrect size. By cropping you just lose a little of your maximum size potential.
That all made sense in my head.... but it may not make any sense when you read it. The next part may be the same way.

As far as Jpeg fine vs not so fine. Jpegs are compressed so you lose quality when you save the file. Cay for instance you take a picture of a white wall, instead of saving 6 million white pixels and their info. It writes an equation that says "this portion is all this color" so the total file size can be smaller. Jpeg fine will compress less, most likley has more finite way to differentiate between colors and will thus save more info. The best way to see this difference it to look at the file size of animage yhat's predominitly one color, then look at the file size of an image with lots of different colors. The multi color file should be larger than the bland one.

As for memory find out what type of memory your computer takes, and get some more. If your using a PC it should be realy cheap and easy to find. I run 6 gigs on my desktop, it realy comes in handy when your looking through and editing 1000+ images. Hardrives are cheap too I just picked up another 300gig external drive for like $200. Very worthwhile if you plan on taking allot of pictures.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
justsomeguy said:
Oh no! I've been publically ignored by a delicate, fragile flower type.
Shut up bitch, I was making a suggestion.

justsomeguy said:
Oh the humanity, how will I continue posting knowing that he won't be dropping in anymore and whining like a little girl who dropped her snowcone?
It was an orange/cherry combo cone, my favorite. You're just a meanie.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
maxyedor said:
Basicly a RAW image is 32x48 inches (I think) for an 8 megapixel file, if you want to print a certain section of that you just crop it so it fits your needs. If you want to print smaller, thats no problem, you just tell it you want a 8x10 or whatever you need and the printer drivers will figure it out, you will get the full image but in the coerrect size. By cropping you just lose a little of your maximum size potential.
That all made sense in my head.... but it may not make any sense when you read it. The next part may be the same way.

As far as Jpeg fine vs not so fine. Jpegs are compressed so you lose quality when you save the file. Cay for instance you take a picture of a white wall, instead of saving 6 million white pixels and their info. It writes an equation that says "this portion is all this color" so the total file size can be smaller. Jpeg fine will compress less, most likley has more finite way to differentiate between colors and will thus save more info. The best way to see this difference it to look at the file size of animage yhat's predominitly one color, then look at the file size of an image with lots of different colors. The multi color file should be larger than the bland one.

As for memory find out what type of memory your computer takes, and get some more. If your using a PC it should be realy cheap and easy to find. I run 6 gigs on my desktop, it realy comes in handy when your looking through and editing 1000+ images. Hardrives are cheap too I just picked up another 300gig external drive for like $200. Very worthwhile if you plan on taking allot of pictures.
Thanks, you told me just about eveything I needed to know for now. :)

Only one thing to clarify... 32x48" picture (although my camera is 6.1 megapixel, just an example...) when using RAW, does RAW have a certain dpi or are they completely different (I think they are, but I just want to make sure).

6gigs?? 1000+ pictures at once? I'm not there quite yet.... :rolleyes:
I'm not exactly made of money, if I was I would have at least have had my front brake on my stinky fixed by now that mysteriously stopped working over a month ago...:)

EDIT: Before opening a RAW image in any programs, I looked at it straight from the camera and it still said it was 160x120 pixels....? I need to find my manual again and look at it...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
dwaugh said:
Thanks, you told me just about eveything I needed to know for now. :)

Only one thing to clarify... 32x48" picture (although my camera is 6.1 megapixel, just an example...) when using RAW, does RAW have a certain dpi or are they completely different (I think they are, but I just want to make sure).

6gigs?? 1000+ pictures at once? I'm not there quite yet.... :rolleyes:
I'm not exactly made of money, if I was I would have at least have had my front brake on my stinky fixed by now that mysteriously stopped working over a month ago...:)

EDIT: Before opening a RAW image in any programs, I looked at it straight from the camera and it still said it was 160x120 pixels....? I need to find my manual again and look at it...
My guess is that it is showing you a thumbnail that is 160x120. But the manual is the place to go for that.

As for dpi thats one of those things that I don't have a clue on. In photoshop it will tell you and actual maximum print size at 300dpi, but in other programs I havn't a clue

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If it is set to raw capture only, there is no possiblke way that your image is under the maximum image size for you camera. That is essentially what raw is.

Something else is going on between removing the pics from the camera, and final output.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Transcend said:
If it is set to raw capture only, there is no possiblke way that your image is under the maximum image size for you camera. That is essentially what raw is.

Something else is going on between removing the pics from the camera, and final output.
I think his camera has been exposed to electric eals, we'll sew whats up once he reads his manual thouroughly

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My laptop has 512mb. I'm going to get a 1mb card for one slot and keep the stock 128mb card in the other slot.

I need to get ex. harddrives. I am thinking of getting 2 250GB drives: 1 for photos, 1 for video.