Quantcast

Digital SLR cameras

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I am so tempted to go and buy a nice digital SLR because I love to take pictures of everything if I can. I used a Nikon D70 and D100 in school for yearbook and absolutely loved them and I want one like that. But they cost a lot... Anyone know where to get one of those for cheaper, or something similar for not too much $$$? I think I'll probably buy a nice camera instead of a car, I can do without a car for a few more years.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth the money. :o:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
A Nikon D70 kit usually runs about $1100 to $1200. It includes a body and 18-70mm lens. D50 kits are a little cheaper and the lens is a 18-55mm. Check your local camera store - Kits, Talls as they are always having specials on em. Like $100 rebates or something. But generally you'll spend somewhere in the $1000 range. Also you'll need to get a compact flash memory card, filter for the lens, etc.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Dont get a Nikon get a Canon, If you look around, all the mountainbike guys use canon, for pretty much all action photography everyone uses canon! I have the 20D and love it!

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
merrrrjig said:
Dont get a Nikon get a Canon, If you look around, all the mountainbike guys use canon, for pretty much all action photography everyone uses canon! I have the 20D and love it!
if you are going to buy a "lower end" (sub $2000) I would recommend not wasting your money on a Canon Just buy a D50 they are very comparable to the D70 but only $570 ish for a kit

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
merrrrjig said:
:rolleyes:

Nikons work equally well for any given purpose.

If you have some kind of valid reason to recommend a Canon over a Nikon, that's great - and there are plenty of valid reasons to recommend one system over the other - but to recommend one just because it has a larger market share, is silly.

I prefer Nikon's ergonomics, and spot metering is a very nice feature to have which Canon's entry level offerings don't allow. The 20D will shoot more frames per second but is more expensive than the D70.

Your best bet is to go try each one out and decide which one feels better. Neither system will even come close to limiting your creativity - they are both better cameras than 90% of the photographers using them.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I have never used a nikon, only held one in the stores, I just know a lot of people shoot w/ canon, and I love mine, the 20D is exspensive ($1500 w/ lens) but the digital rebel is a nice camera. But if you know Nikon cameras I guess it would be a lot easier. Another reason I dont shoot w/ a Nikon, cuz this guy does!

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
The nice thing about the Nikon (i have an N70) is that their lenses interchange between digital and 35mm. (Canons may as well but I own a Nikonand therefore havent researched the canon) My point being is if you can find the body for cheap, maybe used because someone upgraded, there are thousands of lenses out there that you can buy for a good price.

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
Canon 20D = Better RAW format, really rugged body, larger prints, larger $$, better shots per sec

Nikon D70 = More "vibrant color/crisper" JPG images right out of the camera, less $$, working out some RAW issues

My opinion is that they are both great optics in their own right. I'd own both if I was ble$$ed. Here are some links that will lead to extensive galleries of both cameras. Look and ye shall see. Good luck to ya'

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_20d

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d70s

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dude do yourself a favor and do NOT get any type of slr, i have a friend that knows someone with one, and he says that they are heavy and dont even take that good of a picture. just my 2 cents :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
manhattanprjkt83 said:
dude do yourself a favor and do NOT get any type of slr, i have a friend that knows someone with one, and he says that they are heavy and dont even take that good of a picture. just my 2 cents :thumb:

:think:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Don't you own a dSLR? Are you kidding?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have heard that Canons have a faster/crisper autofocus, which is supposedly why a lot of pro sports phototgraphers use them.

Of course, that is totally anecdotal evidence, so make of it what you will.

I have a D70 myself and I agree with BV that it is more camera than I am photographer.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
So what about a budget camera? Something in the 4-600 dollar range? I'm looking for something that is fully adjustable with f-stop adjustment, aperture, etc etc both for biking AND underwater photography. Of course, interchangable lenses are a MUST.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
robdamanii said:
So what about a budget camera? Something in the 4-600 dollar range? I'm looking for something that is fully adjustable with f-stop adjustment, aperture, etc etc both for biking AND underwater photography. Of course, interchangable lenses are a MUST.

underwater :think: slr :think: :think: :think:

you better bump up your price range man...

I would go with the digi rebel...It was my entry into the slr market and a great camera to break in with. It will give you almost all all the features that a $$$ slr will give you on a budget. :thumb:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
underwater :think: slr :think: :think: :think:

you better bump up your price range man...

I would go with the digi rebel...It was my entry into the slr market and a great camera to break in with. It give you almost all the features that a $$$ slr will give you on a budget.
Ok, perhaps I should say what would a fairly decent fully adjustable digital for underwater work and dry land work run me?

The Digi Rebel....Nikon?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah, i know there are some rebel haters lurking, but those are the people that dont like canon either...however alot of pro's do shoot cannon, esp if this is your first slr, the rebel is more than enough, and it will give you all the adjustability you want.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Unless you're willing to drop serious bank on lenses, don't bother with a dSLR.

But if you're really inclined, the Digital Rebel and Digital Rebel XT's are both fine solutions for the consumer market.

I've shot both and like them a hell of a lot more than the Nikons (I'm an EF/Canon hardcore fan.)

If you're crazy and wanna spend the cash, 1Ds Mk2 is the way to go.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Nikon D70s and Nikon D50 both offer "full adjustability" - there's no such thing (at least, at this time) as a Digital SLR that doesn't offer the full adjustability you're looking for. And by nature, a digital SLR has interchangable lenses.

The Nikon D50 is available for less than the price of the Digital Rebel, with almost all of the features, and the Nikon D70s is available for a little bit more than the Digital Rebel, with more features.

You can completely ignore any information you receive here or anywhere about brand preference, as it's all silly banter with no basis in reality. The reality is that they're just that - preferences - and you need to pick up and use both of the cameras to find out which you'll like better.

Both brands offer a lot of fantastic lenses, a lot of great features in their cameras, and a lot of great accessories. Every benefit from one system is offset by a benefit with the other system.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
You can completely ignore any information you receive here or anywhere about brand preference, as it's all silly banter with no basis in reality. The reality is that they're just that - preferences - and you need to pick up and use both of the cameras to find out which you'll like better.

Both brands offer a lot of fantastic lenses, a lot of great features in their cameras, and a lot of great accessories. Every benefit from one system is offset by a benefit with the other system.

:thumb: very good statement, but w/ that said if you are looking for options i would stick w/ either canon or nikon....just seems there is so much support out there for both...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
binary visions said:
The Nikon D70s and Nikon D50 both offer "full adjustability" - there's no such thing (at least, at this time) as a Digital SLR that doesn't offer the full adjustability you're looking for. And by nature, a digital SLR has interchangable lenses.

The Nikon D50 is available for less than the price of the Digital Rebel, with almost all of the features, and the Nikon D70s is available for a little bit more than the Digital Rebel, with more features.

Excellent advice.

I think I'll need to buzz around and look for cameras and see whats out there and how each compares to the other.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
If you decide you like Canon, now that they have come out with the 20D, you can find 10D's for really good deals. Search around on that. I have a 10D and love it! I got mine off Ebay, the secret is to just keep looking and not buy the first one you see :thumb:

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
you need to understand that the difference between Nikon and Canon is like Shimano and sram there are people who hate both. You need to go to a store and try them both out to see which one you like the best.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
firetoole said:
you need to understand that the difference between Nikon and Canon is like Shimano and sram there are people who hate both. You need to go to a store and try them both out to see which one you like the best.
This is often the deciding factor for people.

When my wife & I were looking for a dSLR for her, she hefted the Canons, Olympus, Fuji, and Nikon and really like the fit & feel of the Nikon.

Of course, I was angling for the Nikon because of pictures like this ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
firetoole said:
Except that the Nikon vs. Canon war is more retarded than Ford vs. Chevy.

Do yourself a favor and don't spend any time on the dpreview forums without buying the camera first. You're going to get nothing but a bunch of brand loyalty crap, many of the posters there are insane in regards to their chosen brand and bashing all others.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
Except that the Nikon vs. Canon war is more retarded than Ford vs. Chevy.

Do yourself a favor and don't spend any time on the dpreview forums without buying the camera first. You're going to get nothing but a bunch of brand loyalty crap, many of the posters there are insane in regards to their chosen brand and bashing all others.
:stupid:

I *would* recommend using dpreview for its reviews and spec comparisons, though. Those forums, OTOH, are full of crazy cameral people. :think:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think I am going to find a used D-rebel evntually. I have seen flm rebels for $100. I will be taking so many pics, I will get a digital when I have money.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mtnbrider said:
I think I am going to find a used D-rebel evntually. I have seen flm rebels for $100. I will be taking so many pics, I will get a digital when I have money.
I have a nearly new film Rebel sitting in a box if you'd interested in picking up a cheap film SLR to use until you get digital. Any lenses you buy for it will fit the Digital Rebel.