Quantcast

Digital SLR cameras

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Does the D50 have a motor drive in it to take sequence shots?

SkaredShtles, what camera took that picture? :eek: :thumb:

Personally, I have experience with the D70 and one time I think I used a Rebel and I didnt like the Rebel as much.

OK, I just read the review of the D50 from that link and I like how it sounds, and it costs a few hundred dollars less than the D70, and can do the same resolution (3008x2000). This may be the one for me.....

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
dwaugh said:
Does the D50 have a motor drive in it to take sequence shots?

SkaredShtles, what camera took that picture? :eek: :thumb:

Personally, I have experience with the D70 and one time I think I used a Rebel and I didnt like the Rebel as much.

OK, I just read the review of the D50 from that link and I like how it sounds, and it costs a few hundred dollars less than the D70, and can do the same resolution (3008x2000). This may be the one for me.....
yes you can take sequence w/ the D50. Both bibs and I shoot w/ Nikons. He used a digi SLR for the first time (mine) when we were at Sea Otter in April and fell in love with it - so he had to go out and get one. He went through the same canon v nikon thing and settled on a Nikon. He even got a good deal on a lens from Spomer. Anyway go check em out and buy one already will ya!

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
SLR's on Ebay can be gray market with foreign menus and no way to alter the firmware language. Check some of the major camera suppliers in NYC = best prices with no tax. Don't forget to check out the new NiKanon's :sneaky:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Gusitar said:
SLR's on Ebay can be gray market with foreign menus and no way to alter the firmware language. Check some of the major camera suppliers in NYC = best prices with no tax. Don't forget to check out the new NiKanon's :sneaky:
Do they have websites? I cant just stroll on over to NYC... ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dwaugh said:
Do they have websites? I cant just stroll on over to NYC... ;)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com has good prices.

I ordered my Sony DSC-F717 from http://www.mpsuperstore.com and they were by far the cheapest price that actually offered a legit deal. I got hassled about accessories when I placed my order but I was just firm with my "No" and they relented.

Don't buy from unknown websites. If the deal is too good to be true, then it's probably a greymarket camera or one where you get just the camera, no battery, cables or anything. These places often yank the camera out of the box, rebox it, and sell the accessories seperately for a big markup.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It looks okay but it's no screaming deal. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more to get it from a real store that I know I could return it to or deal with if there's a problem. Cameta is supposed to be legit, though.

You get a Sigma 18-55 which is cheaper than the Nikon 18-55, and the Sigma 55-200 costs about $150 at online retailers. Shutterfly does free introductary offers all the time. It's an okay deal, no great shakes and the lenses are pretty cheap.

Depending on how serious you are about photography, you may want to for the D50 body only, and buy a good quality lens like a Nikon 18-70 DX, or a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. Lenses are an investment - good quality glass lasts a long time and will fit on your next camera if you decide you want a better Nikon down the road.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, the stock 18-55mm lens that comes with the camera will be essentially no good for telephoto shots.

Between those two cameras, there's absolutely no reason to spend $140 more for a 1gb memory card, just pick up a card from NewEgg or something for ~$80.

If you want telephoto, get the camera, the kit lens, and pick up something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=163660&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

That lens will cover a wide range, and won't be anything spectacular optically, but it'll also be lightweight, compact, and you'll get some good use out of it. If you outgrow it, you can sell it and buy something else.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Yeah, it cant be too hard to find memory for cheaper. I like the looks of the telephoto lens. I'd probably start with the lens from the kit, then get that one when I think it's time. ...does it get any cheaper? :monkey:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dwaugh said:
Yeah, it cant be too hard to find memory for cheaper. I like the looks of the telephoto lens. I'd probably start with the lens from the kit, then get that one when I think it's time. ...does it get any cheaper? :monkey:
Nope, it doesn't.

And the first time you use a nice, pro level lens, will be like crack. You won't settle for consumer stuff ever again.

Ok, heres the real deal.....

All the cameras are great, a dslr is above any point and shoot, so if you get a dslr you are most likely going to get a great camera (nikon vs. cannon) the others I have no idea, just what i read on different sites. Used stuff is fine anythign from a D100 on up or a canon d10? on up. I found most of my stuff used since it was summer and no student loans :D Canons' D20 claims to shoot 5fps(frame per second) Nikon D70 is at 3fps so take in what you want to shoot and what kind of shots you want.
Go around and play with different ones at shops in B-ham and see what fits you best. check prices fro glass, this is the most important part, cruddy glass will give you a cruddy image. Canon "l" glass is what you want, but mighty spendy same with the top Nikon glass.
Next up in the price ideas are flashes, memrory storage and all the other crap you will need. different companies have different stuf and pricing, its pretty close for the mostt part but check it all out.
I have about 3800 bucks into my gear and still need/want more, so really think if a dslr is what you want or what you need. There are some great point and shoots, but its up to your budget and requirements. It took my awhile after playing with "five's" D70 at sea otter to get what I want, and now I love it!!

here is a shot with a D100 and a Sigma 15mm fish eye lens....any questions shoot me a pm, Ill try to answer as best I can :) Five knows his stuff and so does meerrriijjjggg :) I cant vouch for the rest of these white devils! :D :thumb: lol

enjoy...maybe? :thumb: