Quantcast

Digital SLR guys Fisheye advice?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just got my new camera (digital rebel) and i am looking at fish eye lenses. I was wondering what the difference between a $500 sigma lense is and something on ebay like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30066&item=7505394468&rd=1

I am a big believer in " you get what you pay for" so i want to get something decent, but i am a rookie with this ( who intends to shoot a ton) but dont want to get something i cant make use of yet. Advice anyone...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
1) sigma fisheye should be closer to $350. check b&h. is as good/bad as canon 15mm fisheye.
2) don't buy that lens. might as well have bought a point and shoot if you go that way (cheap lens + cheap fisheye adapter).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So you are saying that if i get a fisheye it should not be an attachment to an existing lense, it should be its own lense in itself? Toshi, Thanks man you are gonna become my FAQ utility. ;)

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Tosh, are there any good lens adapters? I've got a minolta 7i and I want a wider wide angle, but the most of the reviews I've seen say they're not that good.

I'm hoping to get a dslr sometime this year so I'd probably be better off putting the money to that. Dell's selling the 300D for $600 but I'm holding out for a killer deal on the D70 with the D70s/D50 on the horizon.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
tosh- do you know if canon is going to come out with a prime fisheye for digitals? i know nikon has like a 10.5mm for theirs. aside from the efs 10-22, canon doesnt have much comparable right?

my sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye lens doesnt look all that "fishy" to me. im used to looking through my century optics death lens on my video camera though. now that's fishier than... well... something with a lot of fish.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
try a 8mm circular fisheye if you want the wacked out distorted look :D . i have no inside scoop on canon's plans, sorry, and don't even read dpreview anymore. i have all the gear i need for the time being for what i shoot, don't need temptation when i don't have the money.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The sigma 15 2.8 is as good as it gets for $400 for non coated and $500 for coated. It's a pretty sweet lens, and will be the only non canon lens I own.

The cannon 15mm actually seems to underperform compared to the sigma, and is more expensive by a fair bit.

Unfortunately neither of these work well on a 1.6 crop, that is to say you dont get much "fisheye" look as it crops much of the image. On my 1dmk2 (1.3) it looks about perfect.

There is a few 8mm circular fisheyes out there as Toshi mentioned, but they will look kind awhack on a 1.6 crop from what I have seen. The 10-22 EFS is probably your best bet on that camera.

Oh, and those adapters all suck. Get a real lens, you have a real camera. Thats like buying a porsche and dropping a go kart engine into it.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Transcend, well said. I used the canon 15 fish from a friend, it didnt focus too well and it was super loud (it had been dropped too) but overall I love the look, it doesnt look that fisheyed at all untill you get into the trees.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
i have the 15 mm canon fisheye and love it. I've never had any focus trouble. I don't want the extreme fisheye look either, just a little wider for when I have to work in tight spaces. 2 thumbs up