Quantcast

Digital Video Camera

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I'm looking into getting a digital video camera, but I have close to nothing to go on. What are your reccommendations on a camera? I don't want to spend HEAPS of money on it, just a camera with decent quality. I'll be using it for biking videos, so I'd guess something with a fairly fast framerate (right word?) would be good. I know it's kind of vague, I just need a better idea of what I should be looking for.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I would go look at some of the JVC and Canon cameras. If you can afford one, get a camera that has a CCD chip in it. There are a few semi-cheap single CCD chip camera's out there. This will drastically improve on the color quality of the footage. Also check the total pixels that the camera has, and also certain features like digital/optical zoom, the max resolution still images that the camera can take, and if it has DV input/output.

an example of a decent entry level camera is the Canon ZR80 or the JVC GR-D72US

i just ponied up for a sony pcr 109 i think is the model number. wasn;t cheap at 900 but the big thing for me was the size. i can put it in one of the micro pelican cases adn take it with me on rides and not worry about it. in fact the other day on a ride my camelback went for a roll down a hill, pretty steep one at that. about 100 feet long and dropped about 40 feet. camera was fine, and wterproofed. it has a single chip in it and looks good. but may be out of the price range. but small is nice cause it is easier to protect.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Ive got a canon optura 10 that I paid something like $410 for and I have been very happy with it. I got it from Adorrama camera, but refurbdepot.com is also a good place to check

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
No matter what you decide on DO NOT BUY AT CIRCUIT CITY OR GOOD GUYS OR FRY'S ETC!!!

Go buy a Digital Video magazine at borders or barnes&noble and go mail order, camera's are just like bikes and mail order will save you hundreds over retail.

I bought my GL-1 over 4 years ago from a mail order place in brooklyn for $1,800. Back then that was like 40% off retail. Also believe it or not you want to strongly consider getting an extended warranty. These cameras have tons of tiny little moving parts and are prone to malfunctioning and or wearing out parts. I paid $250 for another 3 years on top of the factory one-year and whaduya know my camera died about one week after the one-year manufacturers warranty expired. I sent it in and got it repaired under the extended warranty and it's been tits since. That repair alone would have cost more than the $250 I spent on the warranty and they also give you free head cleanings every 6 months or so.

Gunner said:
I would go look at some of the JVC and Canon cameras. If you can afford one, get a camera that has a CCD chip in it. There are a few semi-cheap single CCD chip camera's out there. This will drastically improve on the color quality of the footage. Also check the total pixels that the camera has, and also certain features like digital/optical zoom, the max resolution still images that the camera can take, and if it has DV input/output.

an example of a decent entry level camera is the Canon ZR80 or the JVC GR-D72US
I only have one question... how would a video camera even work without a CCD?

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
caboverpete said:
I only have one question... how would a video camera even work without a CCD?
sorry, i meant to say a good CCD chip

Higher end ones like the GL2 have 3 CCD chips, one each for green red and blue colors.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
One thing to consider is, if you plan to use a helmet cam, you need to get a camera with A/V inputs. Generally this is a feature found only on higher end cameras. I got a JVC on closeout that was basically their best model from the previous year, it ended up being about half price.

All the consumer level DV cameras ive used have had some kind of A/V input/output. Normally it uses a special cable that is RCA A/V on one end and 1/8" on the other. Even my old canon zr10 had this feature.

One thing to look at is there are more consumer cameras coming out with 3ccds... i picked up a Panasonic 3ccd camera for about 700. It isnt the greatest in low light but does great outside and the color is much better than a 1ccd will give you.