Quantcast

digitizing slides?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone know what the best way to digitize slides is? My dad's widow is cleaning house (she sold it and bought a boat!) and just sent me a couple of boxes of his old slides. These pictures will be my kids only connection to him, as he passed away before they were born. He also visited some pretty amazing places, and being a Rochester boy, he'd been taking pictures for a long time... Anways, I'd like to scan them and digitize them... is there a "best" solution for that? Just take a stack to a place that specializes in it, or buy a dedicated slide scanner to do it? There's easily over a thousand slides. I won't necessarily scan them all, but it might be cheaper if i do it myself...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There are things you could do yourself and things you should do yourself. I'd say this is the former. Unless its prohibitively expensive then you aren't stuck with a scanner and can spend that time riding your bike instead.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It all depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Do you have a scanner at home? The DSLR method might work for not-too-high-resolution images but if you are after high-end conversion, dedicated tools (like a Nikon CoolScan 4000ED that I still have somewhere in my drawers). Regardless which method you use, dust is an enemy so be ready to spend a lot of time cloning it out from the scans if you seek good quality.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I did this maybe 5 years back, opted for a pro to do it. I don't recall the quantity but it was approximately 10 "reels" of slides, maybe more...think it was 1K to do it. Just found 10 more reels....