Quantcast

Dilemma! Fathers with young daughters need your opinion.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
First ask her if she knows what the word "appropriate" means. Explain that it means something is fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, etc.
Been one of Maddie's favorite words for a couple years, now. Mostly pointing out other kids behavior in public with a comment like "That's not an appropriate way for a kid to behave in public". She is such a snot sometimes.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i was working off-duty one night at a movie theater inside the mall. my wife had the kids at the mall shopping and she stopped by to see me. my youngest daughter, 2 at the time, walked up to me with her hair flipped back behind her ear and just stood there waiting for me to notice. she had her ears pierced with tiny diamond studs and they looked beautiful. the wife and i had never really discussed but i didn't care either way...ear peircing is more of a mommy/daughter bonding thing, imo. my oldest daughter wants her ears pierced but she's afraid of the pain. she'll probably be 20 before she gets them pierced.

now..if my son ever tries to get his ear pierced i'll go ahead and make him get a tramp stamp to match. guy w/ earring = instant douchebag

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Why the fvck is this even a thread?

Say NO.

You're the dad. It's your job.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Meh, if you're latin, it's traditional to pierce them pretty much at birth and the kid'll never read anything into it. If you're white, as soon as skynet is self-aware she'll figure out you're a total pushover and walk all over you for the rest of her life.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
To me, pierced ears isn't a big deal. My girl is 9. Had her ears pierced when she was 7. Not a big deal. But now she's talking about makeup. That's a completely different ball park. I'm fighting that war till she's about 13.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Been one of Maddie's favorite words for a couple years, now. Mostly pointing out other kids behavior in public with a comment like "That's not an appropriate way for a kid to behave in public". She is such a snot sometimes.
:rofl: :rofl:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Are parents just pussies these days?
Yeah. Pretty much. I talk to people about how I discipline the kids and ground them. And they all think i'm a harda$$. I am to a point. But yes, parents these days are way too soft on their kids.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I'm not a father, but I say... make her earn it?
Do well in school = get ears pierced, or something like that.

Fwiw, my parents let my sister get her ears pierced when she was 7 or 8. No big deal, really. Just teach her to be responsible.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Statistics have shown that 99.9% of girls that get their ears pierced at a young age end up having sex with a girl or a guy at some point in their lives. However, only 99.6258% of girls that wait till they are older end up having sex. Keep her pure, don't get her ears pierced:D

Meh, if you're latin, it's traditional to pierce them pretty much at birth and the kid'll never read anything into it. If you're white, as soon as skynet is self-aware she'll figure out you're a total pushover and walk all over you for the rest of her life.
I agree, it really is a cultural thing in a lot of cases, not all. I don't see what the big deal is really anyway. Is it really going to effect the future of a girl because she got her ears pierced at a young age or because she waited till she was older? My daughter got her ears pierced at 3.5 and my twin girls (18mths) will be getting theirs pierced when ever it is convenient for us to do so. With the numbing cream and a gun they don't feel a thing.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My kids get rewarded with good report cards.
A kid's reward should be to NOT have a boot in the ass when they get good grades.

Maybe a pat on the back and a hearty, "Congratulations for not being stupid."