Quantcast

Dim Sum

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just wondering if any other monkies like dim sum.

I had a rocking dim sum lunch today in Oakland's chinatown. This was traditional style, where they just bring out random carts and offer you the contents (no ordering off a menu). We had a group of 6 so we basically tried just about everything that came around. All kinds of steamed dumplings, steamed and baked buns, noodles, vegetables, soup, tea...MMMM. I love eating this way - you get lots of different small bites and don't have to eat what you don't want.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yes, I like it, but it's real name is Yum Cha. Dim Sum is just one of the things you eat. Yum Cha basically means: "Would you like some Tea?"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have to say, it's not really clear, at least not from these definitions on wiki. Maybe it's a regional thing, but it sounds like Yum Cha is more about the tea and gathering people, whereas with Dim Sum it's more about the food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yum_cha

Yum cha a term in the Cantonese spoken variant of Chinese meaning "drinking tea", refers to the custom of eating tiny servings of different foods while sipping some well-brewed Chinese tea in southern China. It is an integral part of the culinary culture of Hong Kong and the Guangdong Province. In any city with a sizeable population of Cantonese people, Yum cha is a tradition on weekend mornings, and whole families gather to chat and eat Dim sum and drink pots of Chinese tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum

Dim sum (Traditional Chinese: 點心) is a Chinese light meal or brunch served with Chinese tea. It is eaten some time from morning-to-early afternoon with family or friends. Dim sum consists of a wide spectrum of choices, from sweet to salty. It has combinations of meat, vegetables, seafood, and fruit. It is usually served in a small basket or on a small dish, depending on the type of dim sum.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Since I am Cantonese, what I say goes, although I haven't asked the real boss yet, my mom.

On a different note, my dad is flying in Saturday, and he is Mr. Oakland when it comes to the Dim Sum.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, my mother and father blanched at the idea of calling Dim Sum Yum Cha. They said it meant drink tea.