Quantcast

dinner last night

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rice noodles. on top of that, chopped arugula and watercress, w/ a bit of fresh lemon squirted on top. then on top of that, some pan-seared scallops, w/ a shallot-white wine reduction sauce.

i also made two side veggies, some oven-roasted fennel, and some blanched/sauteed chard w/ garlic and red pepper flakes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds good. I came home late, expecting to order in and my girl had made steamed artichokes, roasted root veg, and a damn good salad. It was a little healthy but I managed...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
That sounds good. I have been craving scallops for a while now.

Last night we had pan fried tilapia with a balsamic reduction, farfalle with tomatoes & blue chesse made from goats milk & sauteed fresh spinach.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
You all had better dinners then myself. I had 2 Sam Adams Black Lagers and 1/2 a chocolate bunny. The scallops sound good.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
chard? What does it taste like?
it's pretty close to spinach. i usually use red, but last night organic regular chard looked better. here's how i cook it:

- get some water boiling
- wash the leaves
- trim the ends
- cut the stalks off from leaves
- cut the stalks into ~1-2" pieces
- coarsely chop the leaves

put the stalks in the boiling water first, then about 1-2 min later add the leaves. stir, cook for ~45 sec, then remove from the water and blanch (run under cold water). squeeze out all moisture

heat some oil in a saute pan, add some garlic (you can also use leeks, shallots, onions, etc) and then dump in the chard. stir frequently for ~30-45 seconds. sprinkle some crushed red pepper over and serve.

this recipe also works well for broccoli rabe and spinach (i like to grate a bit of nutmeg in w/ the spinach).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Or, if you're lazy like me, skip the boiling water and just cook it down in a pan with a little olive oil and salt. It will release a bunch of water and wilt down to a tiny fraction of it original size. Keep cooking and when the excess water evaporates, add a little chopped garlic and lemon juice, more salt if needed.

I love chard (or spinach or rabe) mixed in pasta with garlic and italian sausage. MMMMMMM.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tonight's meal was sort of a variation....quick marinade (soy, sesame oil, oil) for the salmon, some steamed broccoli, some boiled carrots finished w/ butter, and a bed of water cress and baby spinach for the fish (first pan-seared, then finished in the oven).

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Tonight's dinner was leftovers from last night's dinner: rice noodle soup with pork, spinach, sweet corn, chard, and some delicious miso.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Last night I had a grilled cheese (some kind irish cheese Dubliner? maybe on rye) with homemade potato soup & water.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
tonight's meal was sort of a variation....quick marinade (soy, sesame oil, oil) for the salmon, some steamed broccoli, some boiled carrots finished w/ butter, and a bed of water cress and baby spinach for the fish (first pan-seared, then finished in the oven).
Do your kids eat all these meals with you or do you eat after them? My kids wouldn't eat this and then I would have to cook twice. Just wondering.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Do your kids eat all these meals with you or do you eat after them? My kids wouldn't eat this and then I would have to cook twice. Just wondering.
good question. no, the last two nights i was just cooking for myself and my wife; the kids had things going on and had already eaten before i got home (last night, the oldest was at a b-day party, then a sleepover at a friend's house).

they are not too big on fish, sadly, though halibut is something they will eat. my youngest likes squid and octopus. yeah, he's a nut.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
good question. no, the last two nights i was just cooking for myself and my wife; the kids had things going on and had already eaten before i got home (last night, the oldest was at a b-day party, then a sleepover at a friend's house).

they are not too big on fish, sadly, though halibut is something they will eat. my youngest likes squid and octopus. yeah, he's a nut.
I was wondering the same thing. Syd will eat most of what we eat, she isn't big on the spicy stuff yet though. Last night I made calzones and she seemed to enjoy it!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
both my kids are adverse to spicy things...not sure when that taste/palette changes (maybe for indian and thai kids, there is a built-in physiological difference?).

treesaw, my experience is that kids start w/ a pretty wide-ranging taste, then narrow (miles has done that a lot in the past 3 or so years). some of it is the fairly limited choices they have at school lunch, i think. kids' menus @ restaurants are straitjacketed too.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
kids' menus @ restaurants are straitjacketed too.
Yeah, i would say so.

Mac N Cheese
Hot Dog
Pasta w sauce maybe a meatball
Grilled Cheese
Chicken Fingers

If I can get my kids to try something most of the time they will like it. My youngest (4) loves fried clams.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
both my kids are adverse to spicy things...not sure when that taste/palette changes (maybe for indian and thai kids, there is a built-in physiological difference?).

treesaw, my experience is that kids start w/ a pretty wide-ranging taste, then narrow (miles has done that a lot in the past 3 or so years). some of it is the fairly limited choices they have at school lunch, i think. kids' menus @ restaurants are straitjacketed too.
I totally agree on the kids menus. I always let Syd have whatever we're having. One day she decided she didn't like what we were having, dumped her plate and said "chicken". this was about 2-3 weeks ago! What a food snob ;) I really want to teach her to try things and be polite when it comes to food. We'll see how it goes though.