Quantcast

dinner of champions!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
RhinofromWA said:
You guys must lift your pinkies when you drink beer....

:p

I don't get off on burnt beer, bitter beers, it is all beer but even the fancy stuff tastes like, well beer. :rolleyes:

I place beer snobs in with wine snobs.....know-a-lot-of-nothings :D but continue to discuse how all beer not made by a computer engineer in silicon valley is swill.

I lift a Raineer and toast to the beer snobs!
Yes I know nothing about beer, I've only made about 200 cases of the stuff.

Beer is like a bike. I'm not going to give you **** for riding a Huffy, that is what most people ride, most people can't comprehend a bike that costs more than $200. But you don't know what you are missing if you only ride a Huffy.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
SkaredShtles said:
Ramen GODDAMMIT!! And what's inherently wrong with MSG? :confused:

I'll let narlus tell you about Newcastle............. :p
read much retard?? it's already SPELLED RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know it's bad for you in large amounts...can't remember why though...look it up yourself...that's why some asian restaurants have signs that say...no added msg...

I'm not really a drinker...maybe a few glass of wine and a couple beers a year...so I'm not really worried...I prefer to smoke myself to relaxation...but what's wrong with Newcastle, other than where it's made???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
goodtobeIrie said:
but what's wrong with Newcastle, other than where it's made???
Nothing's wrong with Newcastle, it's great.

Narlus and SS seem to be deluded into thinking it tastes like crap, though :p

Refer to the Newcastle thread in the Beer and Food forum for more discussion ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Westy said:
Yes I know nothing about beer, I've only made about 200 cases of the stuff.

Beer is like a bike. I'm not going to give you **** for riding a Huffy, that is what most people ride, most people can't comprehend a bike that costs more than $200. But you don't know what you are missing if you only ride a Huffy.
Not meant to offend, really.

People who get off on casting some beers as swill and some as be all end alls are, well a little snobby to tell you the truth.

I have made about 20 cases of home brew (actually at a shop that goes with you each step of the way) and it is all beer...its beer. I went through the barrels of ingredients and copper kettled my beer and bottled them all at the site.

Frankly Budwieser is like a $1000 bike and micro brews are $5000 chi-chi bikes They both get you were you want to go....some more costly than others. ;)

When you can confuse a wine snob with a $10 bottle of wine, it is all pomp and circumstance. :D

Pinkies everyone? Remeber the pinkies.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
binary visions said:
:dead:

Coors Light is even nastier than MGD. I'd rather drink Keystone Light than Coors Light. At least Keystone has no flavor instead of a nasty one.
Rob's roomates left a case of Keystone Light in his house senior year and somehow I ended up with it. Because it feels like a cardinal sin to throw away beer (if this stuff can even be given that good title), I keep dragging the case with me every time I move. I've thought about driving to the local State School and dropping it off in front of a dorm.

And for some reason I survived college without ever having tried Ramen :think:

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Ramen GODDAMMIT!!
When I was in college, I ate enough Ramin:angry: to save the UPC's and send off for the official Raman:angry: Cookbook. There was some good stuff in there, But then you weren't eating a .07 cent bowl of noodles anymore!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
RhinofromWA said:
People who get off on casting some beers as swill and some as be all end alls are, well a little snobby to tell you the truth.
replace 'beer' w/ things like 'food', 'music', 'art', 'literature', etc...

because one can discern differences between various examples of the form, and express what they prefer and why they prefer it, does this make them snobs?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
narlus said:
replace 'beer' w/ things like 'food', 'music', 'art', 'literature', etc...

because one can discern differences between various examples of the form, and express what they prefer and why they prefer it, does this make them snobs?
Yes, when that same person sh!ts on another for not agreeing with them.....;)

People are taking this way to seriously folks. It is B_E_E_R. Lets put this in perspective. All beer is SWILL. The fact people talk out their poop chutes while trying to quantify why their choice is superior does not make it non-SWILL.

I like beer....but I don't see the big deal to differentiate the swill from another. It is all to make the "civilized" beer drinker feel better :rolleyes: :) Everyone has what tastes better to them.

Grab a cold one of your choice and drink up. ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bluebug32 said:
Rob's roomates left a case of Keystone Light in his house senior year and somehow I ended up with it.
Find a frat house on a friday night, especially a night before a long break or after finals, and knock on the door. I'm sure you can get someone to pay you $10 for it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
RhinofromWA said:

People are taking this way to seriously folks. It is B_E_E_R. Lets put this in perspective. All beer is SWILL. The fact people talk out their poop chutes while trying to quantify why their choice is superior does not make it non-SWILL.

I like beer....but I don't see the big deal to differentiate the swill from another. It is all to make the "civilized" beer drinker feel better :rolleyes: :) Everyone has what tastes better to them.

example: wow, this britney spears record is great!! it's the only music i've ever heard, but it's really good!

btw, if you think all beer is swill, you don't deserve to live in the PacNW area, where great beer is legion.

or maybe everything is generic in the rhinoworld ™ and totally interchangeable. it would certainly make life more convenient, if a lot duller.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
narlus said:
example: wow, this britney spears record is great!! it's the only music i've ever heard, but it's really good!

btw, if you think all beer is swill, you don't deserve to live in the PacNW area, where great beer is legion.

or maybe everything is generic in the rhinoworld ™ and totally interchangeable. it would certainly make life more convenient, if a lot duller.
I have dabbled, tried what others are drinking.....it all comes down to this...

It is all beer. Just different tasting beer. Pick what you like personally. For me an atristic lable and a clever name doesn't do it for me.

I am all for trying different beers but saying one is superior over another and casting down others is a little pathetic.

Britney Spears has had her moments. ;) And her music has her place that it fits.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
RhinofromWA said:
It is all beer. Just different tasting beer. Pick what you like personally. For me an atristic lable and a clever name doesn't do it for me.

I am all for trying different beers but saying one is superior over another and casting down others is a little pathetic.
A) it's not just a name and bottle label, it's a difference in INGREDIENTS, which is what you don't seem to understand. GOOD beer does not use rice to brew it, while cheap crap does. You CAN'T get flavor out of rice.

B) Sorry, but microbrews ARE superior to things like Miller and Bud. They just are. They're superior in taste, texture, flavor nuance, alcohol content, and craftsmanship. Period.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
robdamanii said:
A) it's not just a name and bottle label, it's a difference in INGREDIENTS, which is what you don't seem to understand. GOOD beer does not use rice to brew it, while cheap crap does. You CAN'T get flavor out of rice.

B) Sorry, but microbrews ARE superior to things like Miller and Bud. They just are. They're superior in taste, texture, flavor nuance, alcohol content, and craftsmanship. Period.
Snob :cool:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
robdamanii said:
Plebeian. :cool:
Damn now I gots'ta go get one of dem darn dictonarion-thingies.

:D that is what I thought you said ;)

ple&#183;be&#183;ian (pl-bn) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Of or relating to the common people of ancient Rome: a plebeian magistrate.
Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.
NOUN:

One of the common people of ancient Rome.
A member of the lower classes.
A vulgar or coarse person.

Does that make you a "poseur"? :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
RhinofromWA said:

Man I just need to weigh in on this. I have been to beer tastings (yes beer tastings) where people were opening super rare beers from all over the world and talking up and down about different ingredients and techniques and even though most of the time I had no clue what they were talking about, I never felt like they were being obnoxious or snobbish in any way. (Same goes for wine tastings, or parties with a mix of bike and non-bike folks.)

On the other hand, sit in any Hooters or sports bar and you can be treated to some dumbass being an obnoxious snob about the difference between regular Miller and MGD.

Some people are snobs, others are not. It's ridiculous to say that everyone who likes microbrews is a snob, just as much as it's stupid to say everyone who likes wine is a snob. Anyone who says stuff like that sounds insecure and intimidated.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
goodtobeIrie said:
read much retard?? it's already SPELLED RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<ahem> Observe:
goodtobeIrie said:
I learned in my massage therapy class that there's enough MSG in Top Ramen to kill a 5 year old kid...of course, I quit the class because the teacher was a fruitcake...so who knows about the raman...
I know it's bad for you in large amounts...can't remember why though...look it up yourself...that's why some asian restaurants have signs that say...no added msg...
Well *anything* can be bad for you in large amounts. Even water. :rolleyes: I think Asian restaurants put up the notice because some people have bad reactions to it. Like headaches and such. It's a flavoring. Like sodium chloride. :p

<snip>but what's wrong with Newcastle, other than where it's made???
Other than it being swill, nothing really. ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RhinofromWA said:
IIt is all beer. Just different tasting beer. Pick what you like personally. For me an atristic lable and a clever name doesn't do it for me.

You must lead an odd life. Nothing is ever better than anything else, and you never find anything to be inferior or dislikable.

Very curious. Must be a strange. Do you like all foods equally as well? McDonald's has its place, to be sure, but are you going to look at me and tell me it's better than a good $7-8 burger at a steakhouse?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
You must lead an odd life. Nothing is ever better than anything else, and you never find anything to be inferior or dislikable.

Very curious. Must be a strange. Do you like all foods equally as well? McDonald's has its place, to be sure, but are you going to look at me and tell me it's better than a good $7-8 burger at a steakhouse?
narlus said:
:blah:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
binary visions said:

Different strokes for different fokes...

You can use all the fine ingredients in the land and have a putrid tasting swill beer. Right? It is beer, drink what you like. But to point a finger and laugh at someone (in this case) drinking MGD....come on. That is uber snobbish.

Actually some of those $8 dollar burgers don't do it for me.....all them quality ingredients and it still taste like greasy crap.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
RhinofromWA said:
You can use all the fine ingredients in the land and have a putrid tasting swill beer.
and what are these putrid-tasting swill beers you've had?

let me guess...you don't like hops?

i was tipped off by yr earlier comment about 'bitter'.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I find that buying cheap beer over more expensive beer is like buying schwag weed over kindbud...they're both gonna do the job...the latters just taste better...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
goodtobeIrie said:
I find that buying cheap beer over more expensive beer is like buying schwag weed over kindbud...they're both gonna do the job...the latters just taste better...
tastes better, and doesn't give you a headache, or make you cough, has better high, etc...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Most people cook the Marachan cups for only 3 minutes- some just add hot water. It doesn't have much flavor and the noodles are like cardboard. If you cook it closer to 5min. and maybe let it sit after the microwave (so that the nooodles absorb water), you get the full flavor and the noodles are not so thin and hard.

It is really good fried with carrots, celery, and chicken.