Quantcast

dinner thread

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
pork chops cooked in presure cooker with french onion soup and potatoes.

what you havin?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
pnj said:
what you havin?
This:
1 tablespoon nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
1 teaspoon cracked or coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 small Thai chili, stemmed and seeded, or ½ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, or to taste
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons chopped garlic, or to taste
2 medium-to-large shallots, chopped
½ cup washed, dried and chopped mint or Thai basil
½ cup washed, dried and chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
1½ pounds skirt steak
12 or 16 leaves Boston, red-leaf or green-leaf lettuce, washed and dried.

1. Start a charcoal or wood fire, or heat a gas grill. Fire should be moderately hot. Grill rack should be no more than 4 inches from heat source.

2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor and purée; add herbs and pulse to chop finely, but not quite purée. Taste and adjust seasonings as you like.

3. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper and grill 4 minutes a side. Cut into 4 steaks, arrange over lettuce, and serve with sauce. Or cut into strips, wrap each strip in a lettuce leaf, top with a bit of sauce and roll up.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
leftover BBQ from yesterday and a salad... some fresh grrens, candied walnuts, nectrines, grape tomatoes and some balsamic yummie!!!!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Fish sauce is EFFIN discusting. I heard when cooking with it, you should add it to a hot wok by dribbling it around the outside edge, allowing the fish stench to cook out before getting to the food.

I know I eat plenty of asian food that has fish sauce in it, but I have never been able to cook with it.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
pnj said:
Fish sauce is EFFIN discusting. I heard when cooking with it, you should add it to a hot wok by dribbling it around the outside edge, allowing the fish stench to cook out before getting to the food.

I know I eat plenty of asian food that has fish sauce in it, but I have never been able to cook with it.
The good thing is it's not cooked in this recipe - it's just dashed in there for some salty fishy kick!

There's so little in this dish that you can't really taste it, but if you leave it out, it seems like something's missing.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
blts, but the other day my dad made a filet mignon which was amazing. if only i could eat that everyday! :drool:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a small pork tenderloin that I am going to grill up slow with piece of scorched applewood I pulled out of a campfire if I have a enough charcoal left. If not I am afraid it will be done on the gas grill. I have some plum tomatos and cukes that my nieghbor gave me and some fresh wild leeks from Tryon that I am going to make a salad with. I also have some presoaked beans I am not sure what to do with. I am thinking bean salad with some leeks.... I really wish I had some corn. The kitties are having stinky salmon fish heads along with some left over tripe.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
pnj said:

I think there was a thread here about fish sauce. Like any other salt component (soy sauce, anchovies, or, um, salt) it's not very good on it's own but it adds a lot of depth and helps balance other flavors. After using it a few times I got used to the smell of the sauce itself and pretty much fell in love with what it does. It also helps to use better quality stuff and make sure it's pretty fresh. The Thai Kitchen stuff works fine and I think it is less funky than others, but any decent asian market has higher quality brands and like olive oil there are grades based on the number of pressings, etc.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
OGRipper said:
I think there was a thread here about fish sauce. Like any other salt component (soy sauce, anchovies, or, um, salt) it's not very good on it's own but it adds a lot of depth and helps balance other flavors. After using it a few times I got used to the smell of the sauce itself and pretty much fell in love with what it does. It also helps to use better quality stuff and make sure it's pretty fresh. The Thai Kitchen stuff works fine and I think it is less funky than others, but any decent asian market has higher quality brands and like olive oil there are grades based on the number of pressings, etc.
I started that thread. I live in asian country. full on. that may be the problem, it's TOO fish saucey.. (the stuff I bought)

the store i got it from also sells, whole fried fish, pork bung, eggs with the bird dead inside, large live turtles and frogs and quarts of blood among other things.

I made pad thai with it, used a third of what the recipe called for and could hardly eat the meal.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Skookum said:
Almost better eatin than turtle...

Never had the priveledge of eating dung. Well maybe I have and just didn't know it.... Turtle however is pretty good. My Grandpappy used to make some awesome turtle soap. We eat all those green meats, frog, snake, turtle.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
jdcamb said:
Skookum said:
Almost better eatin than turtle...

Never had the priveledge of eating dung. Well maybe I have and just didn't know it.... Turtle however is pretty good. My Grandpappy used to make some awesome turtle soap. We eat all those green meats, frog, snake, turtle.....
Ya ever try Turtle Bung? mmmm good stuff there.... :monkey:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Beer. Maybe some solids later. I thought I saw some Sour gummi worms in the pantry.

No, seriously though, Beer, fresh pasta and salad.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
misread the menu last night (the place we usually go for sushi does nigiri as a single piece order, and not two) so we ordered about double what we wanted to.

still polished it off, although it was about $100 worth of fish. :dead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
misread the menu last night (the place we usually go for sushi does nigiri as a single piece order, and not two) so we ordered about double what we wanted to.

still polished it off, although it was about $100 worth of fish. :dead:
I've found that $100 of sushi barely fills me up. Usually I eat a PBJ before I go for sushi. :D

Last night's fare:

Grilled salmon with a honey-dijon marinade
Green beans
Caprese (fresh tomato topped with buffalo mozz, basil, and EV olive oil)
Long grain and wild rice
A Marlborough area Sauv Blanc (with a screw top!)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
screw tops rock. i had a very nice aussie shiraz sat night w/ a screw top. the aesthetics of cork are nice, until you plunk down $$$ for a bottle of vinegar.