Quantcast

Dinner with an Iron Chef!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Holy crap, Iron Chef Jose Garces is cooking and pairing with some of my beers for a special dinner at his Philly restaurant Chifa. A few of us from the brewery have been invited as his special guests! The menu:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
i am dying to know what fennel leche de tigre is?
milk of the tiger....sound good whatever it is.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That dinner sounds awesome.

Garces is using Peruvian terms for the first course. Tiradito is a raw fish preparation sort of like ceviche or crudo. Leche de tigre is the sort of milky liquid created by the combination of a marinade (usually citrus) and the fish.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
That dinner sounds awesome.

Garces is using Peruvian terms for the first course. Tiradito is a raw fish preparation sort of like ceviche or crudo. Leche de tigre is the sort of milky liquid created by the combination of a marinade (usually citrus) and the fish.
:drool:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Pictures are pretty dark and I'm hardly a food writer, but here goes:
First Course: Hiramasa Tiradito

OG was spot on with his description. Tiradito is very similar to cerviche, but a bit subtler in taste. The cut of our fish was actually a cerviche cut, the tiradito traditionally is long, thin slices. The lime juice base kept the dish very light, but the spices provided tons of depth. The hiramasa is tuna-like in texture but sweeter. Worked very well with the hefeweizen it was paired with. Ours tends to be a little more on the clove side of the style so played very nicely subtle spicing of the dish. Probably my favorite course of the evening.

Second: Short Ribs

Short ribs braised in doublebock then folded in to wontons with spinach. Served in a rich beef broth with pickled enoki mushrooms. Paired with Troegenator doublebock. I was a little surprised to see a soup paired with a doublebock but it worked very well. The broth was so rich and bold that it would have overwhelmed smaller beers. The contrast of a rich and salty broth, sour pickled mushrooms, earthy spinach, and sweet doublebock was delightful.

Third: Duck Breast

This is where the meal started to go south for me. This was probably the most poorly prepared duck I've ever had. The flavor was nice, but the skin was like rubber and the meat was tough. The smoke of the smoked parsnip puree was a bit too intense for me and the bok choy was overcooked. I did find the jus interesting in that they sort of deconstructed the beer the course was paired with, a holiday ale brewed with cherries, honey, and chocolate malt, and put those flavors together in a sauce. It was pretty tasty. I can't really comment on the pairing, I found it hard to taste anything after the smoke from the parsnips.

Fourth: Dessert
I didn't bother taking a picture of this one. It looked like a coffee cake you'd get at a gas station plopped down on an artsy drizzle of a sauce. The cake was dry and the anglaise was pretty favorless.

Chef never showed up. We were told at one point that he was in the kitchen and then later that he was on his way. They announced halfway through the meal that he was called away to one of his other restaurants to oversee preparation of a notable food critic's meal.

Not a bad night, but it could have been better.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Garces is no Iron Chef. There were many more chefs with 10x more expertise on that show.

Cool that you got to attend, not surprising to me at all that the food was not well done. The duck breast looks like ****.

Chef Morimoto is the ONLY Iron Chef!