Quantcast

dinosaur jr

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Reformed and touring in July.

I get to see one cool show when I get to NC.

Ear plugs, needed.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i should probably get tickets before they sell out the boston show.

strangely. i've seen both pre-Dinosaur bands (lou and j in Deep Wound; Murph in All White Jury) but i've never seen Dinosaur. i did break out _You're Living All Over Me_ friday night and it sounded great. has anyone gotten any of the reissues? i've got the 1st on lp, and YLAOM on cd, but never did get _Bug_. think i'll get that one.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I didn't know they reissued them. Anything different/extra?

They were the first show I drove to after my parents made me get my license.

I found this while packing....circa 1988

time to take off the nerd glasses.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Merge has reissued _Dinosaur_, YLAOM, and _Bug_, w/ vids and/or bonus tracks. remastered, natch. that said, i'll probably only get _Bug_.

here's the blurb from the Merge site:

All three CDs have been remastered and will be reissued with original cover artwork, but the new booklets will contain never-before seen images that are sure to electrify longtime fans. Bonus materials include a rare live track – “Does It Float” – which captures the power and sheer chaos of early Dinosaur shows, as well as videos for classic tracks “Little Fury Things”, “Just Like Heaven”, “Freak Scene” and a recently-discovered, never before seen video for “No Bones”. Also included are extensive new liner notes for all three albums compiled by music writer/gadfly Byron Coley featuring interviews/commentary from Thurston Moore, Mike Watt and Robert Pollard. Acclaimed filmmaker Allison Anders also contributed liner notes for Bug. But really, who needs extra bells and whistles? These albums contain so much raw power and melodic tension that they speak well enough for themselves, as seminal pieces of American rock and roll history.

i recently read _our band could be your life_ and the chapter on dinosaur jr was fascinating to say the least. given the history, it's pretty remarkable that they have rejoined for this tour (money talks, i guess).

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have the "where you been" cd. I suppose that's too mainstream to be in this conversation though cuz I never heard of any of that stuff you guys are talkin' bout.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
how is that cd? i've heard it's pretty good. i lost track after _Green Mind_; Sebadoh became a much more interesting outlet for me.

echo, i would definitely recommend _You're Living All Over Me_. fantastic cd. even w/ the Frampton cover. :D

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Dinosaur Jr. was supposed to play "Springfest/Big Free Show" at the university here, but the dillholes organizing it couldn't get the contract finalized. Instead, we the Urge. Yippee-skippeee. It seems like they manage to get a great band every few years. Last year, it was Mission of Burma and Jurassic 5. Something like ten years ago, it was the Big Star reunion show.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
are you at UMissouri? i think that big star show was recorded and released, right?

so you are getting Urge Overkill? or is there another Urge?

i saw UO once (right around the time _Stull_ came out) and it was a great show. they played w/ the Unsane and Tar. killer.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Yeah, I am at the University of Missouri. I was either just about to graduate or beginning grad school when Big Star played. Urge Overkill would be a step up. The Urge are ska-pop band from St. Louis. They had a single or two a few years back. Inoffensive and unspectacular.