Quantcast

Dipping Tobacco

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well, I used to do it when I was home a few summers ago, then off and on this summer, but when I got to school, all the hockey played were doing it. I've started doing it, and not feeling many physical effects, but what are the risks of doing like, 1 dip ever 2 days or so?

Don't say lip/mouth cancer, because those are extreme cases of doing about a tin a day, and thats a fact.

Is the occasional that bad?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ThePriceSeliger said:
Well, I used to do it when I was home a few summers ago, then off and on this summer, but when I got to school, all the hockey played were doing it. I've started doing it, and not feeling many physical effects, but what are the risks of doing like, 1 dip ever 2 days or so?

Don't say lip/mouth cancer, because those are extreme cases of doing about a tin a day, and thats a fact.

:rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dude, don't worry about the physical effects... The chicks really dig brown teeth, nasty breath, and spitting every fifteen seconds...

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
JimmyTwoTimes said:
Use this, it's safer and requires no spitting. I do it all the time.

http://www.swedish-snus.com/ :thumb:
When my brother got married (in Sveeden), his wife's (she's the sveede) uncle gave this speech that if they ever got into an arguement and their relationship became rocky, that he should take a pack of Snus, sit on the porch, and let her worry about everything. That man is my hero.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Addiction
Chewing tobacco gets you hooked on nicotine, similar to the way cigarettes get you hooked. And once you're addicted, it becomes difficult to stop using chewing tobacco. Just as with smoking, withdrawal from chewing tobacco causes signs and symptoms such as intense cravings, increased appetite, irritability and depressed moods.

People who use chewing tobacco eventually develop a tolerance for nicotine and need more tobacco to feel the effects of the nicotine. Some people switch to brands with more nicotine and tend to use chewing tobacco more frequently the longer they've been using smokeless products.

Cavities
Chewing tobacco and other forms of smokeless tobacco cause tooth decay. That's because chewing tobacco contains high amounts of sugar, which contributes to cavities. Chewing tobacco is also filled with coarse particles that can irritate your gums and scratch away at the enamel on your teeth, making your teeth more vulnerable to cavities.

Gum disease
The sugar and irritants in chewing tobacco and other forms of smokeless tobacco can cause your gums to pull away from your teeth in the area of your mouth where you hold your tobacco. Over time you can develop gum disease (gingivitis) and possibly tooth loss.

Heart problems
Smokeless tobacco increases your heart rate and blood pressure. Nicotine constricts the blood vessels and limits oxygen supply throughout the body. Some evidence suggests that it may put you at an increased risk of heart attack. People who use smokeless tobacco also have higher cholesterol levels than those of people who don't use tobacco.

Precancerous mouth sores
People who use smokeless tobacco are more likely to develop small white patches called leukoplakia (loo-ko-PLA-ke-uh) inside their mouths. These mouth sores are considered precancerous — meaning that the sores could one day develop into cancer.

Oral cancer
Your risk of oral cancer is increased if you use smokeless tobacco. Oral cancer includes cancers of the mouth, throat, cheek, gums, lips and tongue. Surgery to remove cancer from any of these areas can leave your jaw, chin, neck or face disfigured.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Wumpus said:
Addiction
Chewing tobacco gets you hooked on nicotine, similar to the way cigarettes get you hooked. And once you're addicted, it becomes difficult to stop using chewing tobacco. Just as with smoking, withdrawal from chewing tobacco causes signs and symptoms such as intense cravings, increased appetite, irritability and depressed moods.

People who use chewing tobacco eventually develop a tolerance for nicotine and need more tobacco to feel the effects of the nicotine. Some people switch to brands with more nicotine and tend to use chewing tobacco more frequently the longer they've been using smokeless products.

Cavities
Chewing tobacco and other forms of smokeless tobacco cause tooth decay. That's because chewing tobacco contains high amounts of sugar, which contributes to cavities. Chewing tobacco is also filled with coarse particles that can irritate your gums and scratch away at the enamel on your teeth, making your teeth more vulnerable to cavities.

Gum disease
The sugar and irritants in chewing tobacco and other forms of smokeless tobacco can cause your gums to pull away from your teeth in the area of your mouth where you hold your tobacco. Over time you can develop gum disease (gingivitis) and possibly tooth loss.

Heart problems
Smokeless tobacco increases your heart rate and blood pressure. Nicotine constricts the blood vessels and limits oxygen supply throughout the body. Some evidence suggests that it may put you at an increased risk of heart attack. People who use smokeless tobacco also have higher cholesterol levels than those of people who don't use tobacco.

Precancerous mouth sores
People who use smokeless tobacco are more likely to develop small white patches called leukoplakia (loo-ko-PLA-ke-uh) inside their mouths. These mouth sores are considered precancerous — meaning that the sores could one day develop into cancer.

Oral cancer
Your risk of oral cancer is increased if you use smokeless tobacco. Oral cancer includes cancers of the mouth, throat, cheek, gums, lips and tongue. Surgery to remove cancer from any of these areas can leave your jaw, chin, neck or face disfigured.
X2 and "lip/mouth cancer."

it also shrinks your penis.

ThePriceSeliger said:

Don't be a dumb fvck.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The only solution is to find a woman who dips. Then you two can kiss while both dipping at the same time.

I think I just threw up a little.

MudGrrl said:
yes, it's that bad.

(speaking for all of womanhood for the rest of the post)

no way in fck am I gonna kiss a dude who dips... even occasionally.

no kitty for you!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Find a more socially acceptable addiciton, unless you are currently driving in NASCAR, or you want to have sexual relations exclusively with meth-addled women for money.

Things that are more socially acceptable: Molesting children, walking around with feces smeared on your face, having sex with dead animals, etc.

J

JRB

I dipped Copenhagen for a long time. Quitting was the best thing I ever did. My gums are trashed from it, and I haven't had it in 8 years now.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
the Inbred said:
don't they teach this stuff in school?

Red Man Golden Blend...it's much healthier.
My grandmother used Red Man for years and never had any problems. Lived to be 93, but then they're pretty tough up there in Maine.

The Cheese

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
MMike said:
Why do people need to ask questions like this?

Yea, it's like asking:

"Should I put my wang in a pencil sharpener? All the cool badmitton players are doing it. What are the health affects of putting my wang in a pencil sharpener?"

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i don t care what anyone says... IT S COOL

get into it anyway you can...

'dip' is freakin retarded... you should be able to figure that out for yaself...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My great grandmother lived to be 103 and she chewed snuff and twist tobacco. She didn't get cancer of any sort, but they certainly don't make them like they used too.

However I started dipping and chewing when I was about 12. I did it off and on until I was 24 or 25. In college I dipped a can in about 3-4 days. That was the heaviest I did it, but I once I decided to quit I poured out my can and I've never had a chew or dip since (about seven years now). I'm much happier with more money in my pocket and no dependence. Just say no thanks and move along.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Enough people have told you what's bad about it.

Now maybe you can tell what's good about it, and how it's worth it?

:confused:

Sounds like you know the answer and are looking for us to validate a bad decision. You probably need to look somewhere else. Is there a "Puckmonkey" website around? :p

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
ThePriceSeliger said:

Girls will think you're gross.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
How bad are cigars in comparison to dip? If a cigar smoker quits after 2 years of 1-2 cigars a week avg, is there any chance of cancer? After seeing those pics, I'm kinda worried, even though im sure i haven't been smoking for long enough to have a problem. I havent had a cigar in 5 months.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
loco said:
I dipped Copenhagen for a long time. Quitting was the best thing I ever did. My gums are trashed from it, and I haven't had it in 8 years now.
Copenhagen, what a wad of flavor.
Copenhagen, you can see it in my smile.
Copenhagen, do yourself a favor.
Chew Copenhagen, drive them pretty girls wild.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
sugarbushrider1 said:
How bad are cigars in comparison to dip? If a cigar smoker quits after 2 years of 1-2 cigars a week avg, is there any chance of cancer? After seeing those pics, I'm kinda worried, even though im sure i haven't been smoking for long enough to have a problem. I havent had a cigar in 5 months.
Check it out:

You're going to die.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So am I. Everyone dies at some point. My philosophy is to enjoy your life. If you really enjoy cigars, go ahead. Some people toke on Cigars all day and never get cancer. Some people never smoke a cigarette in their life, and still get lung cancer. There is obviously a higher risk of getting cancer from smoking than not smoking. This is not a black and white situation. Obviously smoking a small amount will add a small amount to your statistical risk of getting cancer. What else do you do in your life?

Just remember: You're going to die. It's up to you what you do before that happens.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
yeah thats a good point and i agree with you. thats the approach i use with pot and beer, and i have a good time. the thing is, i didnt really enjoy cigars all that much, so i quit.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Wumpus said:
Addiction

Cavities

Gum disease

Heart problems

Precancerous mouth sores

Oral cancer
My firend just got that. It is actually sad how much he is upsessed with that stuff. He is now addicted. Moral of the story is don't do it. Yes it is bad for you.