Quantcast

DirecTV problems..........

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ok here’s the deal. We’ve had DirecTV since 2001. 3 weeks ago, we started to get the “green screen” and then about a day later the directv box wouldn’t even turn on. So I called direct, told them what happened and they sent a replacement box. The box arrived I hooked it up, but it would not power up, now “on” light no nothing. So I called directv again, they didn’t know what to do but would send another box out to me (I was getting mad by this time because this was causing me to miss watching the F1 race in Australia). The new box arrives, I immediately plug to make sure it powers up, it does. I get it all set up, they add the local channels (which we did not have with the old box) as a “thanks for being patient” gesture.

Which brings me to this week. Wednesday night my wife is watching the local channels on the dish and the screen goes black but she can still get audio and still bring the guide up on the screen but no video, then about 15 minutes later everything goes black, no audio no guide, no menu no nothing. I called tech support last night, went through their reset procedures to no avail, so they are sending a technician out on Saturday to check everything out. Well this morning I thought I’d try one more “reset” (which involves unplugging the unit for 15 seconds), this time the box wouldn’t even turn on, no power light no nothing.

Now these boxes directv is sending me are all factory reconditioned boxes, not new ones, you only get a new one if you’re a new customer evidently. So are these boxes (Phillips DSX 5500) really that bad, or is this some sort of weird coincidence? The box is plugged into a power strip that the TV, DVD, VCR all use, none of these devices have had any problems.

Anyway, anyone got any thoughts, hints, suggestions would be helpful.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know a thing about the DirecTV boxes, but Phillips has more freakin' refurb products than any manufacturer I've ever seen. Kinda tells you something about the quality of their product line.

There may be something else contributing to your problems, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The whole not being able to power up on all three, including my old Huges box, seems a bit fishy to me, but the boxes use the same power strip as the TV and other stuff, and they don't have problems.

I'm totally scratching my head on this one.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I assume you are changing out the power cords with each "new" box? Also - try using a different outlet in the powerstrip - could be an iffy connection.

Just trying to eliminate variables...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
jacksonpt said:
I assume you are changing out the power cords with each "new" box? Also - try using a different outlet in the powerstrip - could be an iffy connection.

Just trying to eliminate variables...
I've done that with all the boxes, different power cords, different power stips, different outlets, plugged directly into an outlet vs. a power strip............which is why I'm scratching my head on this, unless the Phillips boxes are just really that bad.