Quantcast

DIRT: 1 1/8" Angleset..

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
If it does happen, I'd love a integrated(or is zero stack, can't remember) version for IH mk3..
I think that's in the works. That's the same HT size as the 2011 Turner 5 spot and Sultan (44mm), and I've read Anglesets for the 44mm HT should be coming out soon.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
why don't bike companys just start giving the rest of the population slacker numbers on there production bikes from the get go. for yrs, the top pros have always been giving slacker frames for racing an such, but us normal riders who end up paying for the **** get stuck with the industry standard!
seems as though companies like Banshee and transtion are getting it right an giving the public what they deserve when spending $1500+ on a frame or complete bike!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why don't bike companys just start giving the rest of the population slacker numbers on there production bikes from the get go. for yrs, the top pros have always been giving slacker frames for racing an such, but us normal riders who end up paying for the **** get stuck with the industry standard!
because 99% of us wont benefit from slacker angles like the top pros would or can push their bikes to the limit that slacker angles would be needed.
the numbers they arrive with are a good medium for the riders that we all are. and for those who want to go slacker or steeper, newer frames are becoming more compatible with the Angleset

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
My M1 would be sweet with this. Cane creek you got to make these it would make alot of older bikes handle much better. Lets call CC and let them know there is a market for them. 828-684-3551

Last edited:

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
because 99% of us wont benefit from slacker angles like the top pros would or can push their bikes to the limit that slacker angles would be needed.
the numbers they arrive with are a good medium for the riders that we all are. and for those who want to go slacker or steeper, newer frames are becoming more compatible with the Angleset
i don't believe that for a second! i've had the pleasure of buying pro's ex bikes which were customly slacker than production versions out on the market! was i riding as fast as them, no. but it def opened up my riding style to new limits which on the standard production frame i would be eating crap! for example, i had a banshee pyre an upgraded to a spitfire! which bike do you think i'm going faster on bro? the numbers help out alot....

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
Apples to oranges. It's not like you just went to a Pyre with a slacker head angle.
if this product was out, i would've never spent my hard earned cash on the spitty! i would've been happy with the pyre with a bit more slack up front!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
if this product was out, i would've never spent my hard earned cash on the spitty! i would've been happy with the pyre with a bit more slack up front!
So you didn't want the tapered headtube? 2 travel/geo settings, iscg mounts? Only slacker ha?

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
another example, Specialized picks up Sam Hill to ride there demo bike. an he gave his input on what he wanted an now most of there line of dual bikes are all slacker an lower. an the demo 8 is the race bike to get! what it only took them only 10 yrs to figure this out. come on man!

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
So you didn't want the tapered headtube? 2 travel/geo settings, iscg mounts? Only slacker ha?
thats all i wanted, the extra half inch of travel which i did not need, what does that do? i had to end up spending $1500 bucks for a 1 degree change in the head angle, an 2mm bb height difference. the spifire on the high setting is nearly same numbers as the pyre! an the tapered headtube, i'm still using a 1/8 steerer tube fork. could've went without that as well.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Hasnt the old demo 8 have had a 63 ha but with 2 settings high/low and the 63 was the low. I agree that a little slacker headangle can do wonders for ones confidence, its not about who is how fast it is about what you feel and want.

In a way the customer is always right because if your customer dosent want your product it buys someone else's, so companys should listen to what their customer want not what they themselves think is best or want.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I wonder if this will work backwards- It'd be fun to lower my demo a bit while maintaining the stock 64ha. I don't need any slacker, that's for sure. Exciting news here, though!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
thats all i wanted, the extra half inch of travel which i did not need, what does that do? i had to end up spending $1500 bucks for a 1 degree change in the head angle, an 2mm bb height difference. the spifire on the high setting is nearly same numbers as the pyre! an the tapered headtube, i'm still using a 1/8 steerer tube fork. could've went without that as well.
Man you are so wrong I don't know where to start.

1) You didn't spend 1500$ for 1 deg change and all that other stuff unless you didnt sell your pyre. If you did you've spent less
2) Having both the XC geo of the pyre with less travel and the more agressive geo of the spitty in one bike is the added benefit. It may not be for you but YOU ARE NOT THE WHOLE BIKE MARKET. For people who do marathons or race XC but still want a playfull bike that's a great solution
3) Tapered headtube is really an improvement for the heavier riders (i'm not one but I have friends who complain about their 1 1/8 headtubes ). Not to mention the ability to adjust the geo even more.
4) ISCG mounts ? Great for a sweet 1x10 setup
5) More tire clearance
6) Isn't it supposedly stronger?

That's not the only differance. You may only notice one but really it's a whole different bike. For you it may only be the ha but many other people wanted much more. Just look at the orginal spitfire wishlist at banshee/mtbr forum.

Bikes are not only about geo, it's only people get really obsessed about them and don't notice the rest

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
This is great but 1 degree change increments are BS! I want to take my 64* HA and change it to 63.3189*. I feel that that would be optimum for me........and most others on the market too. They just don't know it because Sam Hill isn't running it.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
Man you are so wrong I don't know where to start.

1) You didn't spend 1500$ for 1 deg change and all that other stuff unless you didnt sell your pyre. If you did you've spent less
2) Having both the XC geo of the pyre with less travel and the more agressive geo of the spitty in one bike is the added benefit. It may not be for you but YOU ARE NOT THE WHOLE BIKE MARKET. For people who do marathons or race XC but still want a playfull bike that's a great solution
3) Tapered headtube is really an improvement for the heavier riders (i'm not one but I have friends who complain about their 1 1/8 headtubes ). Not to mention the ability to adjust the geo even more.
4) ISCG mounts ? Great for a sweet 1x10 setup
5) More tire clearance
6) Isn't it supposedly stronger?

That's not the only differance. You may only notice one but really it's a whole different bike. For you it may only be the ha but many other people wanted much more. Just look at the orginal spitfire wishlist at banshee/mtbr forum.

Bikes are not only about geo, it's only people get really obsessed about them and don't notice the rest
i never said i was the whole bike market first of all. i just happen to know what i like an what works for my style of riding! the pyre was a fantastic bike which in my opinion was def not your typical xc geo! the tapered headtube is a great idea, but i felt it is not necessary for me since i'm not a fatass! i just wanted alittle less steepness up front an would been happy with what i had! an as far as i can see buddy, looks as though Dirt has alot of people wanting these anglesets! i guess there not the whole bike market either eh!

oh an in my original post i was giving props to banshee for making a frame with the geo adjustments( thus why i bought it) an was saying that the other companys should do more of the same as what they give there top pro's to ride, which in most cases are def slacker an lower than what's offered to the general public!

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dudemanguy, I think you're missing the point. A) people like adjustable geometry, this gives it to them. B) people like *their* bikes. This allows them to keep their bike (the example I used was a Racelink) which might be outdated geometry-wise, but still has great features. Another example might be the GT IT-1. Could have been a great bike, but it was heavy and steep...slacken it out a little, and it could still be a great bike.

Geometry is a dynamic number. Just because sam hill rides a 62* headangle in champery doesn't mean I want one for my east coast trails. I for one HATE slack head tube angles on my trail bikes...I think it's the dumbest thing since matching PJs...but some people like them because it allows them to "hammer the downhills bro brah" while they wash out all over on the climbs. I had a prophet which had an adjustable HA and never left the 69* setting (after trying 67*), which I already thought was slack.

tl;dr it's good that "the industry" is tiptoeing into radical geometry angles, and it's fantastic that they're trying to allow both new bikes and more importantly old ones to keep up and experiment.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I for one HATE slack head tube angles on my trail bikes...I think it's the dumbest thing since matching PJs...but some people like them because it allows them to "hammer the downhills bro brah" while they wash out all over on the climbs. I had a prophet which had an adjustable HA and never left the 69* setting (after trying 67*), which I already thought was slack.
:rofl:

My last two trail bikes have both been pushing 65 degress. I'm a masher climbing so I can just stand up, get over the front end and go. And they really do feel better descending that way.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
dudemanguy, I think you're missing the point. A) people like adjustable geometry, this gives it to them. B) people like *their* bikes. This allows them to keep their bike (the example I used was a Racelink) which might be outdated geometry-wise, but still has great features. Another example might be the GT IT-1. Could have been a great bike, but it was heavy and steep...slacken it out a little, and it could still be a great bike.

Geometry is a dynamic number. Just because sam hill rides a 62* headangle in champery doesn't mean I want one for my east coast trails. I for one HATE slack head tube angles on my trail bikes...I think it's the dumbest thing since matching PJs...but some people like them because it allows them to "hammer the downhills bro brah" while they wash out all over on the climbs. I had a prophet which had an adjustable HA and never left the 69* setting (after trying 67*), which I already thought was slack.

tl;dr it's good that "the industry" is tiptoeing into radical geometry angles, and it's fantastic that they're trying to allow both new bikes and more importantly old ones to keep up and experiment.
watch who the **** you call dumb dip****! an to each there own as far as what they like! i just prefer the options versus the standard. an as far i can rekon, you ride a racelink which means you are one that lets the bike run you, versus you run it! keep on trucking with your badself, an stick with your numbers! oh an i live on the east coast as well brah, an yet to have any problems climbin our short hills up with a slacker HA!

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
:rofl:

My last two trail bikes have both been pushing 65 degress. I'm a masher climbing so I can just stand up, get over the front end and go. And they really do feel better descending that way.
you're obviously doing it wrong, he just said you can't climb with a 65* HA. I ride all kinds of trails with my 65.5 ha trail bike and there's no way i would go back to a steeper bike and i certainly don't have any problems on flat trails, seated climbing, standing climbing or anything. it's pretty easy to learn how to ride a slacker bike in all situations.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I had a prophet which had an adjustable HA and never left the 69* setting (after trying 67*), which I already thought was slack.
Funny you mention the prophet. My current XC/Trail/All-Mountain/Over-Mountain bike is a '07 prophet with a -1.0 angleset. 66* HA for the win! I love it this way. Add a 140mm fox talas with travel adjust/lockout and my old bike just found a whole new life. with a $100 upgrade, I have a bike that can do almost anything.

Love the angleset! CC, make moar!!!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
watch who the **** you call dumb dip****! an to each there own as far as what they like! i just prefer the options versus the standard. an as far i can rekon, you ride a racelink which means you are one that lets the bike run you, versus you run it! keep on trucking with your badself, an stick with your numbers! oh an i live on the east coast as well brah, an yet to have any problems climbin our short hills up with a slacker HA!
Never called you a dumb sh!t, but it's quite fitting now that you mention it. What I said, if you bothered to read it, was that options are great, extremes with no adjustability are not. I ride a Sunday, and am adding an angleset this year because I think it will bring my older bike, which I like and already own, up to date with newer race geometry. I'm buying the kit, which I'm excited about because it will allow me to run 63.5*, which is pretty bleeding edge, and 64.5*, which is closer to what I'm used to, as well as 64*, which is probably what I'll leave it at forever....but it gives me OPTIONS, which is where "the industry" should move to (and is).

you're obviously doing it wrong, he just said you can't climb with a 65* HA. I ride all kinds of trails with my 65.5 ha trail bike and there's no way i would go back to a steeper bike and i certainly don't have any problems on flat trails, seated climbing, standing climbing or anything. it's pretty easy to learn how to ride a slacker bike in all situations.
Jerkstore, I didn't say you CANNOT climb with a 65* hand angle...I'm suggesting that it may not be worth it. Just as a 69 or 67* angle is a compromise for DH stability, 66 or 65 is a compromise on uphill stability. Nobody in this forum worries about "attacking" the climbs, so it's not worth the argument, but the *ideal* for a *trailbike* should be somewhere in the middle, since a *trailbike* goes up and down.

You certainly can climb a slack bike, and some people prefer it. I just don't believe that "relaxed" geometry is optimum for fast climbs or up-and-down transitions that we see "over here". If you want to grind up a fireroad, you can do it on a recumbent. The great thing is that with items like the angleset, you can adjust it per your own feel....I can have a nice aggressive sketchy fast bike, and you can have your slow easy handler.

so bring on the friggin 1 1/8th angleset.

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
Never called you a dumb sh!t, but it's quite fitting now that you mention it. What I said, if you bothered to read it, was that options are great, extremes with no adjustability are not. I ride a Sunday, and am adding an angleset this year because I think it will bring my older bike, which I like and already own, up to date with newer race geometry. I'm buying the kit, which I'm excited about because it will allow me to run 63.5*, which is pretty bleeding edge, and 64.5*, which is closer to what I'm used to, as well as 64*, which is probably what I'll leave it at forever....but it gives me OPTIONS, which is where "the industry" should move to (and is).

Jerkstore, I didn't say you CANNOT climb with a 65* hand angle...I'm suggesting that it may not be worth it. Just as a 69 or 67* angle is a compromise for DH stability, 66 or 65 is a compromise on uphill stability. Nobody in this forum worries about "attacking" the climbs, so it's not worth the argument, but the *ideal* for a *trailbike* should be somewhere in the middle, since a *trailbike* goes up and down.

You certainly can climb a slack bike, and some people prefer it. I just don't believe that "relaxed" geometry is optimum for fast climbs or up-and-down transitions that we see "over here". If you want to grind up a fireroad, you can do it on a recumbent. The great thing is that with items like the angleset, you can adjust it per your own feel....I can have a nice aggressive sketchy fast bike, and you can have your slow easy handler.

so bring on the friggin 1 1/8th angleset.
Sandinyourvajayjaybwich, I think Dudemanguy and Jerkstore have a point. I don't have any issue on tech climbs with my 66 headangle. I go up and down as aggressively as I did on my steeper bike. The only time steeper would help would be if your flopping around like a flaccid penis but thats not my issue. Traction and looping out tend to stop me more often. I think the slacker helps there as the weight of the front wheel is further forward. As mtn biking progresses bikes do seem to be getting slacker so the "middle" you speak of may be slacker than your personal preference. Which makes them two right. You have a point too regarding the adjustability. You guys are just arguing over different angles(<--get it) of the general discussion.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
So they said 100 people asking for it and it would go into production... Looks like about 200 comments so far and its been like 12 hours...Incoming 1 1/8 angleset.