Quantcast

Dirt Checks Out The 2011 Mondraker Summum

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
we doubt you could custom build one any lighter either
so...Deemax, DHX5, Fox 40, 8" rotors, etc...are now the lightest parts available?

Im not tryin to get into a weight weenie discussion, and I do admit that is a light-as-clouds build...but in no way is it the lightest. There is definitely room to drop a pound or two, easily. And still keeping it from folding.

Ok, continue drooling

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The frame strikes me as an evolved version of the Sunday, speaking purely in aesthetic terms. I have no clue what their suspension system is like.

It looks SLACK in the pictures. 63 degrees is pretty slack but it looks even more so.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the XTR crankset, but I guess that's just their full on WC race machine, so it SORT of makes sense.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
so...Deemax, DHX5, Fox 40, 8" rotors, etc...are now the lightest parts available?

Im not tryin to get into a weight weenie discussion, and I do admit that is a light-as-clouds build...but in no way is it the lightest. There is definitely room to drop a pound or two, easily. And still keeping it from folding.

Ok, continue drooling
Thats deemaxx ultimate. Its 1/2 pound lighter than regular deemax. Imho the build is silly. They still use that funny kenda tires only for the sake of loosing some weight so they can boast an even lighter weight.

Though Im sure Jones will rave about it, some rich kids will buy it and then bitch that the xtr cranks, race only wheels and a thin downtube dont hold up to crashing, flat landing and overall hackness.

PS. I like the frame, almost bought one. Just think it gets silly when we get complete builds like this. Completes are for regular joes and this build simply isnt.

Last edited:

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
early 2000's XTR cranks where super popular for DH - and they essentially had a road bb! Great for racing - not for hucking repeatedly!

Now days we have plenty of more burly options for heavy footed riders...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yawn who cares. 2400gbp is 3800 usd, making it effectively the most expensive frame on the US market...more expensive than the SC carbon v10, the dw dhr that I crap on constantly, the intense m9, and more than 5 sette vexx's-with enough cash to machine new linkages. OK, maybe the nicolai gboxconstandardohf is worse.

I'm sure it rides great, but jesus tap-dancing christ....

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm probably the only one who thinks that head angle and wheelbase are visually disgusting to look at. But hey, I hope they sell a ton of them so I can snicker and watch cat 2's awkwardly flop them thru turns. :)

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Sure, it looks and certainly is mega slack in the photo, but can't it be steepened up to more average-joe friendly numbers? And I think the only semi questionable part selection was the XTR cranks, but I personally would have no hesitations about running them. I'd like to know how strong they actually are... like someone mentioned above, the old school XTR cranks were a very popular choice "back when". Sometimes I wonder if its more about branding groups than whether or not they are suitable for the task at hand.

As for Jones, he is pretty much testing superbikes - what the hell do you expect? They are not going to suck, things are pretty damn dialed these days at that level :rolleyes: I test a lot of amazing bikes as well and part of the difficulty is that most of them don't do a lot of things terribly. What Jones does, and what I try to do as well (albeit less effectively I imagine) is to try and talk about the bike's personality. Ya, the $9000 kicked ass, obviously, but what does it ride like?

Tough crowd here :thumb:

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
you cant do a direct price comparison with GBP's or Euros....hell the complete Summon Pro has a GBP price of $5999, thats $9652 USD :shocked:
i like how u guys complain about prices, if your looking at a new dh rig down here in aus/nz, your looking at dropping 10g unless u want a glory/demo.

still, that bike is insanley nice. wouldnt have a problem being seen on one of those.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The arms on the old 952 xtr cranks were fine, the BB was the weak part - I twisted many of mine. At £30 to replace it wasn't too bad though.

I've tried the new XTR cranks on a DH bike, and bent them within a couple of months. Again, the arms are fine, but the axle isn't. Unfortunately the axle is part of the crank now, and not easily replaced....

I'd put a ti spring on it, and some saint cranks.

Also is it just me or are they running those Foxs with about 10" of stanchion showing? I think that's why it looks so slack?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i like how u guys complain about prices, if your looking at a new dh rig down here in aus/nz, your looking at dropping 10g unless u want a glory/demo.

still, that bike is insanley nice. wouldnt have a problem being seen on one of those.
Haha.. amen to that. US consumers finally know what it costs the southern hemisphere to get a good bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yawn who cares. 2400gbp is 3800 usd, making it effectively the most expensive frame on the US market...more expensive than the SC carbon v10, the dw dhr that I crap on constantly, the intense m9, and more than 5 sette vexx's-with enough cash to machine new linkages. OK, maybe the nicolai gboxconstandardohf is worse.

I'm sure it rides great, but jesus tap-dancing christ....
Thats the UK price. Around here in Poland you can have it for around 2700$ with rc4. Not that bad. Complete for around 6k$
Why cant ppl here finally learn that price really varies between different distros in europe and converting it 1:1 is silly? Hell I remember some US made frames (Intense or SC) went for over 4k$ in the uk.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
having lived in the US and Australia, I just can't wrap my head around living in Australia again and getting raped so viciously by the pricing on ski and bike gear. it's obscene. aussies should follow the example set in France and Greece, and start rioting in the streets in protest. :weee:

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
having lived in the US and Australia, I just can't wrap my head around living in Australia again and getting raped so viciously by the pricing on ski and bike gear. it's obscene. aussies should follow the example set in France and Greece, and start rioting in the streets in protest. :weee:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Why is everyone so against slack head angles? They work very well in some places.
I'm not against them at all. That bike would be a weapon in the hands of the right rider on the right terrain. You happen to live on Champery and f*cking shred; an outlier from the general riding population, and where they would actually ride that bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is/Are they the same?
the same as a sunday, or glory, or etc. etc....in other words, no.

im complaining about the price? i said you cant make a direct price comparison to prices from Europe.
I'm complaining about the price. They aren't available in the US so your options are buying one from the isle of teefs or yurp. No price listed from yurp, and the price in her majesty's magistrate is 2400gbp. My apologies if other frame prices in britland are just as high...that sucks for you. If you can buy one from poland and ship to the US, why can't you buy one from poland and ship to the UK? What do other frames in Poland cost?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I rode the dw-DHR testing it out and Dave and Mo lied to me, saying the head angle was 64, same as my current rig. I got on it and called shenanigans immediately. Weird that I could tell by feel that 1 degree of difference. But once on trail, I felt like I couldn't go fast enough.

And I wasn't attacking anything super steep that weekend either except in a few small spots. Can't imagine going slacker, but then again if you'd told me a few years back that putting me on a 63 as opposed to my absurdly slack 65 was better, I wouldn't have bought it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh, and I'm one of those guys that thinks cranks need to be stout. I've bent several including the almight grey XTR Octalink 165's of the day.

I'm very happy running Diabolus, Saint, etc b/c I KNOW my crank will hit the ground from time to time.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm complaining about the price. They aren't available in the US so your options are buying one from the isle of teefs or yurp. No price listed from yurp, and the price in her majesty's magistrate is 2400gbp. My apologies if other frame prices in britland are just as high...that sucks for you. If you can buy one from poland and ship to the US, why can't you buy one from poland and ship to the UK? What do other frames in Poland cost?
It differs. Some frames are moderately priced. Legend goes for around 2500$ but the local distro couldnt care less for banshee and seems not to import any of them while some prices are insane like a 303r going for over 3600$. So for some frames its better to import them from uk for others its better the other way around ;) Hell Czechs and Slovaks also have some banging prices on some select companies (lapierre for example)