Quantcast

Dirt Crit advice

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
hi! :)

this weekend i am racing a mtb stage race (hill climb, dirt crit, XC race).

i have never raced a crit of any type before and was looking for some advice!

this is a small event, so i think it's a good time to learn. there will be few ladies there...

the crit course is 1/2 mile in length. i rode it yesterday... it is relatively flat, w. some sandy sections & some bigger bumps as you finish the lap.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I would advise you to be PLENTY warmed up before you hit the start line. It is a fast paced race with no chance to "find your legs" once you start. After that, it all depends on how you feel - just remember how short of a race it is. You need to just work through the pain and keep telling yourself you are almost done. What is it - 20 minutes plus some laps? That's soooo short compared to our regular races so just give it your all.

Will you go off with the Pros or just with the experts?

GOOD LUCK!

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
hey heidi:

yes, it's 20 min + 3 laps

i hear ya on the be warmed up thing! i think i will have to ride my trainer for alot longer than i do before an XC race!

good advice on the work thru the pain thing.. 20 minutes isn't too bad considering we are out there for up to 3 hours + sometimes!!!

i am not sure what the grouping is like. i would assume i would ride with the experts (and pros if there are any). last year there were only 5 women total.. this is Rim Nordic, BTW.... just in case you were wonderin!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by suga_stie
hey heidi:

i hear ya on the be warmed up thing! i think i will have to ride my trainer for alot longer than i do before an XC race!

good advice on the work thru the pain thing.. 20 minutes isn't too bad considering we are out there for up to 3 hours + sometimes!!!

i am not sure what the grouping is like. i would assume i would ride with the experts (and pros if there are any). last year there were only 5 women total.. this is Rim Nordic, BTW.... just in case you were wonderin!
those 20 minutes will seems like an eternity. crits are painful but fun. it's just balls to the wall the entire time. get your heart rate up a few times before you start to help you out a little bit. and juts hanging in.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by suga_stie
hey heidi:

Yes, I've been tossing around the idea of heading up for the race. I might have to work though. :(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy
did you do the stxc at snow shoe?
No, I opted out so I could do a fun ride instead. We hit Poo Plateau for some aweseme ST.

So any other dirt crit advice???

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
No, I opted out so I could do a fun ride instead. We hit Poo Plateau for some aweseme ST.

So any other dirt crit advice???
if you think you can do it, go off by yourself like RIGHT Off the bat if the crit is small enough w/ no big names. see how long you can hold off the front, just total TT stylin it

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Warm up really well. A good hours worth would not be too much. Go as light as you think you can get away with. Probably no water or tools, unless its a time race as oposed to points. The lightest tires which you think will work. Skin suit if you have one, just for psych value on other riders and yourself.