Quantcast

Dirt...it cleans the mind!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Japanese gultch, being my local trails *litterally a 5 minute ride* has gotten alot of attention in here due to my, what seem like, weekly post. Well, after a usuall ride with Dylan, Stephen, and myself we have desided to bust out the shovels and do some work on new trails. I have invisioned north shore ladders and rollers with an SST style table top for flat out fun. Dylan and Stephen invisioned rebuilding the "old DJs" (My personal...and growing name for them) and making totally fresh lines.

This is an official-unofficial invite for you to help us create an epic line, sick new trails that bobble the mind...something that makes you think, "Wow, who would have thought such a small jump could make me itch for more, and dream about them at night." (Not that I'm saying its ALL small...just what we are currently building, to me, is small)

Time: Saturday, August 4th, 3PM -Till whenever
Place: At the Old DJs (no...not the ones everyone knows about....these are mellow with just 4 (hitable) jumps, only the locals really know them)
What to bring: a shovel, a chain saw, a rake, whatever you please! Anything helps.
What we're doing: cleaning out some of the trails in the area from nettles (yes, they are everywhere...wear appropriate clothing!). Making new jumps, drops, and fun little things.

If you plan on going, PM me...If you dont know where the "Old DJs" are, PM me.

So come on guys, help us revive a sweet trail and make it even sweeter! Airborne lady's and Gent's, I'm calling you out!
:cheers:

P.S. Bring your bike, we like to test out things as they get built and goof around at random moments.

EDIT: P.S.S. Tomaro (Friday the 3rd) Stephen and I will be heading to the gultch "Old DJs" with some wood and will do a little work on the step-up to drop/jump (made out of wood) and likely the berm and jumps...PM me if you want to join, it will probly be late...like 4-5 ish till 7-8ish.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
stephen, i left my saw and my machete and our old step up off seattle hill road, its either wher the new trail started or where the "single track" ended, you know what i mean. but go andgrab those and take them out to the gultch, theyllcome in hand.

and you guys should make a dh course back there, if done correctly, you coukd make it shuttlable

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
How are the conditions of the other old trails in JG that Chris built a few years back when he had the shop in Mukilteo? Seems like a shame to be building new stuff when all the old trails looked like they needed some help. (BTW: About time some loving went back to the old sets.) Thanks.
SeaHR huh? Hmm, that's where I first got the mountain bike itch. I didn't think there were any open woods in there anymore from the looks of all the new homes going in. (We used to ride the down behind The Falls also much to the dismay of the neighbors. Hence the RR posts at the entrances right after that.)

Yes, one long trail like Boys2Men but without the ups along the way would make for a nice run top to bottom and very well could be shuttled there. Easier on the South Side though.

BTW: Muddy, the Schwinn Mesa is the new pump track bike now.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah alot of the old trails need to be cleaned...but its something that would be way more affective with a gas weedwacker...not a few machetes. Eventually we may bring them back to life, its just, we're having more fun making something new that WE want. But I'm sure its only the start of things.

And glad you found a suitable use for it!

P.S. You mentioned some places that have been forgotten...must have riden there back in the day ehh?

soreyes

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
I see weekly bbtc evening and night (with lights) rides posted up there. By the descriptions of the rides, it sounds more like xc than fr. I would assume there has to be some pretty well established trail in order to get this in: "moderate paced fitness/training ride w/ minimal stops. Roughly 2-3hrs with some good climbs."

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I see weekly bbtc evening and night (with lights) rides posted up there. By the descriptions of the rides, it sounds more like xc than fr. I would assume there has to be some pretty well established trail in order to get this in: "moderate paced fitness/training ride w/ minimal stops. Roughly 2-3hrs with some good climbs."
Its true there are a lot of XC trails, but there is also some good Freeride stuff as well (hopefully some DH soon). The trail system is huge, and random at best...but on the sides of trails theres jumps and drops. Most XC riders ride to the top along the tracks and ride the trails back down (Riding up the trails is just insaine...if you've seen how skinny they are, you'd understand why).

Anyhow...they're not really "established" so to speak...more just trails that the community uses for different purposes (walking, running, riding) and no one cares to kick them out. But the maitnence on the trails is long gone. The most I've ever seen an XC guy do on the trails is throw some wood across a stream. The Freeride and dirt jump guys do the most work out there, since the jumps are always toyed with.

Back to the post...whos going to help us tomaro!?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
^^this place is legit, tons of single track to rally when the digging gets old, a nice dj spot, a couple o' huge drops. now all it need is a flow park. basically the section we are working on is on a ridge and drops into a valley with infinite possibility for w/e we want to build. there are two existing lines (the old djs) that are pretty small, yet flowy which we are using as the entrance to our new lines (think the s-berms to little jump at sst). the runs should be about three times as long as anything you can get at the flow park.

I don't mean to be "competative" but the gultch has quite a bit more potential for building then does sst for both and actual dh shuttle run (come on smurfs I know you want to) and a flowy section of jumps. the building is going pretty quick b/c the ground is pretty dry so a large crew could get some sic lines put in super quick. basically, the new rig and I are going to be back there 24/7

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
PS
first pic with stephen looking gay, is that landing to a drop?
haha I was up on the drop and he knew I was taking the picture, and posed.

Yeah its the landing, but right now the drop is broken...a tree fell on it during winter and we havent fixed it yet (if at all). Its like a 20ft drop though...it used to have a step-up to get on it, then you dropped...but it was way to sketch so we took it out.

Today is gana be sick!

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
you little bitccch,make me look up your pb album

edit: very nice! i you dont get a totem or dhx5/roco though. im gonna be pisssed!

wats the parts lookin like? and can you check tmrw at ork when can get a vivid?

and how the trails goin guys?

PSS. ill call the shop today becz doochebag isnt in