Quantcast

dirt jump conversion

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I have been looking all over for new bikes and found a few in the RM classifieds. they look like good bikes, but they are all single-speed. Is there any way that I could turn it into a 21 speed or something?

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
Why do you need more then one gear for dirt jumping? Most good trails hardly even require pedaling.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
because I wouldn't be dirt jumping. I was just asking in this section because it is about dirt jump bikes. I do agree, most GOOD trails dont need pedaling. However, I do not live near too many GOOD trails. thanks for your help.
-drumbum540

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
well, I was just asking if it was possible because I have found a lot of used Dj bikes very cheap. I want to be doing more of an xc type riding but I just found some cheap DJ bikes.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
well, I was just asking if it was possible because I have found a lot of used Dj bikes very cheap. I want to be doing more of an xc type riding but I just found some cheap DJ bikes.
They will not have the right geometry for XC riding, of corse you can use them for that but you be horribly uncomforatble. buy a bike for what it is intened for. I am sure you can find a lot of xc bikes for nowhere near the same price and a Dirt Jump specific bike that is worth buying.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Look for a bike that has a 8/9 speed rear hub and a rear derailler hanger. Then you can make it geared by adding a cassette, derailler and shifter.