Quantcast

dirt jump geometry

Aug 14, 2002
oregOn
i have dirt jumped before, and have built some jumps, but they have all sucked. Now my dad is letting me build some in our feild, and i wanted to know what some good DJ geometry is. Im riding a mountain bike, and NOT a bmx. I want to have a jump big enough to have some air time to pull some tricks, but not real big. I have started a jump, the lip is maybe about 3 feet tall and a 9ish foot gap. What would be a good size gap to have, and lip height, even if it is a small jump should the landing be curved? or just longer and strait. Please help

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
if your riding a dh or long suspension hardtail, you dont need a curved landing until you start going big (15+ foot gap 7+ foot jump) i look at the north shore jumps. their really high speed jumps, with just straigh, non curved jump then gap, then basically the same thing as the jump for the landing. look around at pictures of stuf and see what you like.

start with what you have.

start jumping on it, you will immediately know if the lip is too big/small, has too much or too little pop and how the landing tranny is.
then make adjustments until you get it right, remember these jumps are for you. and after you get them right you will feel pretty comfortable, you can start adding size to them and increasing the gap.
You will instinctively know when you are ready to go bigger, but dont be too afraid of going just a little bigger than you think you should, as you will surprise yourself as to how large you can actually gap and how high you can jump comfortably.
have fun,.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Adding to what shootr wrote, everyone builds jumps slightly different. Some are tight, some are steep, some have steep landings, some don't... and so on... I love going to different trails and hitting different jumps as no two are the same. Being able to adjust will make you a better rider.

After you put a 4-pack together, you should be able to get a feel for how far to space the jumps and landings. Don't be afraid to move a set if you feel you have to. They are YOUR jumps and you build them for YOU.

Conversely, it's wrong to ride somebody else's jumps and say they suck just because they are different than what you are used to.

Have fun and keep diggin'! :thumb: