Quantcast

dirt jump help!!! please

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
I've been having trouble hitting multiple dj's in a row (rhythm's i guess). I'm confident on the first jump and pretty much always hit it perfectly (I even can do no-footers off of it), but the next jumps in the set are another story. I can rarely clear the second jump. How can I maintain my rhythm throughout the set? I've heard practice, and I agree, but I just want to make sure that I'm practicing it right.

Thanks for the help.

Slowpoke

Chimp
Mar 8, 2004
When your landing in the first jump Push down as you land and it should gather some speed to help you

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
well it would help if you could be more specific with what is happening and what the jumps are like, and what your bike is like. However, let me take a stab in the dark. the whole rhythm thing (at least to me) is not just your flow, but also your ability to 'read' jumps, knowing how much speed you need to carry into the line and how to take each double. this all depends on how the line is built. sometimes a line needs a lot of speed in the middle of it and you either need to really pump and be smooth (accelerate) on the beginning hit(s), or you need to come in with speed and take the earlier hit(s) low and fast. aside from speed there is also the 'boost' farctor. there is a small 8pack I like in which the first gap is smooth and easy, but very specific in the range of speed that you can take into it. due to this limited range of speed, the second double cannot simply be taken without throwing a bit of boost on it. the rest of the line is no worries, the first two are the technical part which, once cleared, give you just what you need to ease your way through the last two doubles.

s#$t, I hope this is helping and not rambling. And I'm no expert here either, but it just seems that learning, and then putting forth, the correct combination of speed and hop for a line or individual gaps is a significant skill for dirt jumping.

it may just be that you gotta put some stank on it when your pulling up on the second gap.......

oh well, i fear that its late and I'm not making sence, but I hope this helps.

mutt

Originally posted by downy
I've been having trouble hitting multiple dj's in a row (rhythm's i guess). I'm confident on the first jump and pretty much always hit it perfectly (I even can do no-footers off of it), but the next jumps in the set are another story. I can rarely clear the second jump. How can I maintain my rhythm throughout the set? I've heard practice, and I agree, but I just want to make sure that I'm practicing it right.

Thanks for the help.
kinda obvious here......

when you are jumpig the first jump you are actually mentally prepared and thinking about what you are doing.

then after landing, you just point and shoot, so when you are going off the second jump you are not really jumping. you are just holding on, then trying to muscle the bike once airborn. i have seen this numerous times while teaching others how to hit rhythms.

the secret to a rhythm set is just that... rhythm. each jump is to be aproached the same way (ie- same pumping motion, same boost off the lip, same pumping motion, same boost off the lip....)
practice really pumping your bike in the trannys. pushing down real hard while landing and then pushing forward thru the tranny of the take off.

once you figure out how to really rock trannys, you will even be able to easily pick up enough speed to make the next jump after casing a jump.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
I ride a brooklyn park bike with a sherman firefly in the 4 inch mode w/ 24 inch wheels (fork doesn't really compress on the dj's).

I was told to land jumps as smoothly as possible and absorb the trannies. Should I really push down hard to move faster? I'm angling my bike properly for landing but I just can't carry the proper speed for the next one. One other problem that I have is that I need slightly more speed than others for dj's. Not a lot more so I know I'm not absorbing the lip, but how should I boost off the jump properly? I know that if I get better at those 2 things or atleast know how to, my jumping would improve dramatically.

Thanks for the help!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Yes, you should pump (push) the bike down the backside in preparation for the next set.

I think it depends on how the jumps are made as far as how hard you should "boost" off the first lip. At the trails I frequent around here you pretty much have to hit the first sets racer-style (low and fast) to carry your speed through them as they get bigger.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
randomv has got it perfect, in some sets, you can't sky the first double if you want to clear the rest, nose-diving also helps, not suicide nose diving, but put your bike at the angle that the landing is and just push down the tranny.

Morgan

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
One other problem that I have is that I need slightly more speed than others for dj's. Not a lot more so I know I'm not absorbing the lip, but how should I boost off the jump properly?
One thing could be that the better you are the slower you can hit jumps. I know all of the better riders I ride with can hit jumps slower than I can, because they boost them better than I do. So the speed difference could just be a skill/experience difference.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
One thing could be that the better you are the slower you can hit jumps. I know all of the better riders I ride with can hit jumps slower than I can, because they boost them better than I do. So the speed difference could just be a skill/experience difference.
Well yah, I know that, but my question was ... What's the correct way to boost? Thanks for all the great input everyone.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Find a half pipe, drop in, or ride up one side, then ride round it in circles without pedalling, getting higher or at least maintaining your height on each side.

When you can do that you can pump. The technique is the same for jumps. Compress on downslope, decompress on upslope.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by Changleen
Find a half pipe, drop in, or ride up one side, then ride round it in circles without pedalling, getting higher or at least maintaining your height on each side.

When you can do that you can pump. The technique is the same for jumps. Compress on downslope, decompress on upslope.
I like that idea ... but everyone's been saying to push down on the tranny to pump, and you say to compress. Wouldn't that be absorbing the tranny?? :confused: I'm lost again.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by Bonk
I thought they weren't to be ridden in the 4" mode? Thought it was just for climbing or something?
I think you're right ... cuz my fork is stuck in the 4 inch mode now. Doesn't matter though, I ride it in that mode anyway (having the 5 inch mode does help for bigger stairgaps though :rolleyes: ) ... whatever ...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey bro, before you hit the lip of the double you want to compress your self, and as you hit the lip pull up and bunnyhop. make sure that you dont lean back though. you want to stay centered in the bike so you have control over where your going. With practice you will be boostin doubles like a pro.

also to carry speed thru a rythm section you want to always nose down into the landing. its really important to land both tires at the same time or even nose first. this enables you to pump the landing and compress down to boost for the next lip.

a good way to practice the compressing/pump that is important to carry speed thru rythm is to go to a bmx track and pump your way through a long set of rollers. thats picking up the front end before a roller and the pushing the front end down on the backside~ repeating it on each roller thru the section. you will actually gain speed without pedaling doing this well.

peace

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I like that idea ... but everyone's been saying to push down on the tranny to pump, and you say to compress. Wouldn't that be absorbing the tranny?? :confused: I'm lost again.
No - you misunderstand me - by compress I mean apply pressure to the bike...Compress the bike... I'm agreeing with everyone else.

To describe the 'pushing down - pulling up' cycle more acurately - imagine this - imagine a quarter pipe you are riding into.

1) you and the bike are poised at the top of the quater pipe. You push the front wheel over the lip, the bike and your body become affected by gravity and you roll into the ramp. This is like landing..

2) to prevent falling off over the bars or looping out backwards your center of gravity must maintain a neutral position with respect to (wrt) the angle of the transistion and motion of the bike - essentially at a point approximating the intersection of all the possible tangents of the radius of the curve of the transistion allowing for acceleration. Essentially, you float at the center of the circle that the transistion describes and allow the bike to move under you through the curve. This obviously means that at the start of the landing, the angle of the bike must mimic the angle of the transition.

3) to add energy to the situation, you must apply energy where possible to add to the expenditure of kinetic energy you are facilitating by rolling down the ramp.

4) You can do this most effectivly by extending your arms and legs (compressing the bike into the ramp - pushing it through the curve) during the first 45° of the slope and to a lesser extent as the slope tends closer to the flat (0°). In reality it's actually a law of deminishing return of applied energy through this curve.

5) As you approach the upslope, crouch into the bike.

6) As the bike starts to climb the transistion upwards, extend your body accordingly - almost like a bunnyhop but subtly different - you push the bike around in front of you as if you were trying to throw it away, but at the same time move forward over it to capture this expenditure of energy - but not too far or you'll lose height.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Excuse the spelling and so on - It's 11.00pm and I've had a few beers and 3 gin and tonics. I'm a bit drunk.. Likewise I guess this might not make sense tomorrow morning... Whatever..

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Thanks for all the great help.

Now I'm definitely carrying speed more, but I'm having trouble boosting. I'm still hitting the jumps at higher speeds than better riders. What's the proper way to boost off the lip? And what should I do, if anything, in between jumps? Is boosting different for height than it is for distance? I seem to always get fairly high, but not enough distance while people who hit it slower than me usually boost lower but at a lower speed. This doesn't make sense. Can anyone explain this? Thanks again, you guys are really helping me out here.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
dude, i;d say just go ride your bike. you'll figure it out if you jump long enough. Some things just have to happen on their own. I learned how to dirt jump in my back yard, when i was younger. Now its second nature. You'll figure it out as you go along, and try new jumps....;)

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by boostindoubles
dude, i;d say just go ride your bike. you'll figure it out if you jump long enough. Some things just have to happen on their own. I learned how to dirt jump in my back yard, when i was younger. Now its second nature. You'll figure it out as you go along, and try new jumps....;)
I agree with you for the most part ... but it's raining here and won't stop for another 3 days :angry: so I would like to have an idea of how to boost off a lip by sunday so I have something to start from. I completely admit that practice is going to do it for me but if there are any fundamental skills for boosting off a lip I would like to know them so I don't learn the wrong way.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
argh!!! :eek:

your having three days of rain?!?! man send it up this way, my trails are rock hard. I'd be out at the dirtjumps digging until sundown if i were you. It'll help give you a feel for the jumps your hitting, plus you'll have tons of new lines when it drys out. dig man! dig!

as far as boosting, its mainly a bunnyhop/huck at the top of the lip.

gotta put in the time at the trails to ride there bro! i hate people that show up to ride but dont throw dirt when its time. and when its raining! its definitly time! :monkey:

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by boostindoubles
I'd be out at the dirtjumps digging until sundown if i were you. It'll help give you a feel for the jumps your hitting, plus you'll have tons of new lines when it drys out. dig man! dig!

as far as boosting, its mainly a bunnyhop/huck at the top of the lip.

gotta put in the time at the trails to ride there bro! i hate people that show up to ride but dont throw dirt when its time. and when its raining! its definitly time! :monkey:
I'm with ya except I think it might be raining too hard now. Does it matter if they're completely soaked versus being damp? Thanks for the tip also. But what do you mean by huck? Isn't that just clearing an obstacle using speed or hitting a big drop?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
well imagine a huck, its like throwing your bike out in front of you to get some distance or hieght. imo, its just a fat ass bunnyhop. Its really better to just ride a bunch. What kind of bike do you ride?

and i'll dig at all times unless its so muddy that i cant walk. then i wait till i can walk out on to the dirt. ;)

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
One more small thing ... if I hit the take off correctly, will the bike arc into a nose dive to land the tranny on its own naturally so I don't really have to do anything to match the tranny? Or will I still have to do it myself?

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
One more small thing ... if I hit the take off correctly, will the bike arc into a nose dive to land the tranny on its own naturally so I don't really have to do anything to match the tranny? Or will I still have to do it myself?
I have one suggestion and I think it's the best, Just Do It! You can't really explain DJin'. You've just gotta go do it to comprehend it. Or another good alternative is, if you have one @ a local skate park like we do, go ride the foam pit!

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
no

you dont want the bike to pitch forward naturally, you want to get to level, then when you see that you have the distance push the front wheel into the tranny. If you commit to nose in on takeoff you stand a good chance of coming up short, nose casing, and hurting yourself.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Ok, I just went jumping and learned to spot my landing a bit better and push down for it then. Everything is SLOWLY getting better but I think I've got the idea. All I gotta do is practice now. :)

Thanks for all the help.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
just like dowey i went jump yerster day and found the same thing spoting your landing is how you are going to land if you dont, you landing blind!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
Just flow you know, get in the rythem.

Start w/ tables untill your comfortable with'em, then start hitting the big lines. Its all about the committment as long as you hit the jump with confidence and speed you 'll clear it every time :cool: