Quantcast

Dirt Jumping in Austin?

BullitBoy

Chimp
Apr 30, 2002
Austin, TX
I have just put together a P.3 and want to start dirt jumping this thing. I don't have any experience dirt jumping and was wondering if there were any places in Austin that might be good to practice at? I went down to 9th St. tonight but had a tough time on the jumps. Not sure if I just suck that bad or if the jumps are more for the 20" bikes. Any advice on how to get started jumping would be appreciated as well as any good locations to dirt jump the P.3

Attachments

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Yeah, those 9th street jumps are more 20-inch jumps unless you can suck em up real good. Trannies are too drastic for big wheels. Best place I know of so far is Walnut Creek Park. I was there last week and had a blast riding the trails. Its a MTB trail but some of the trails will have little rollers that you can start on, then there are a couple of transitioned drops to practice your rythym, and finally, if you're comfortable, there's a larger double somewhere there also. All this stuff is across the creek from the start of the trail (at the swimming pool area).

Easiest way to get there is to go up (or down) I-35 to Parmer and head West on Parmer, then take a left at the very first light (FM 275 I think). Follow this a little ways and you'll see a Chinese temple looking thing on the right and a sign for Walnut Creek will be right there also on the right. Follow the street across the bridge and then take a left at the first parking lot and you'll see the pool. The trails I'm talking about start to the right of the pool area. You'll cross the creek and if you ride around a bit, you'll find the different trails with the stuff I was talking about. There are also some jumpy-type trails on the other side of the park road, but I didn't get a good chance to explore them. Plus, they're in tighter singletrack. I'm gonna check those out some day (I hope).

If you have time to ride on Thursdays and Fridays, I can show you where it's at. If you're looking for stuff to begin on, WC is a good place to try. Nothing too dangerous. Use the link below to email me if you're interested. Have fun!

BullitBoy

Chimp
Apr 30, 2002
Austin, TX
I know what you mean about those trannies at 9th street. I found I could not carry any speed into the next jump. The first jump in the line I was taking was too short also, I would either clear the landing or have to pedal like hell to clear the next tabletop.

I do ride at walnut quite a bit and know the jumps you are talking about. They are pretty fun but I am looking for something more DJ specific. I have hit that double a couple times and it is pretty cool, but there is nothing else there. The "jumpy-type" trail you are talking about is a really fun little single track with some nice little rollers in places. I am out of town for the next two weeks but I can email you after that sometime to ride.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Hrmmm, then the next other place I can think of with slightly larger jumps is Emma Long/City Park. I haven't taken the time to jump anything there in a long time, but I remember there were jumps (not many doubles) all along the outskirts of the trial along the road. I also noticed stuff in the parking lot. Not much stuff on the actual trail tho.

And actually, I can now recall someone here mentioning some dirt jumps in Georgetown by the park by the river. Sorry to be so ambiguous, but I don't know where they are specifically. Apparently, there are also stunty-style trails. I personally would like to check those out if you're gonna head up there. Long drive to ride tho. Whatever it takes I guess.

Oh (sorry, I keep remembering things), there is also Rocky Hill Ranch which has a dual slolam coarse apparently. That's down in Smithville along highway 71. Hope that helps.

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
if you want to go ride the trails in georgetown email me or call me. 512-396-8603. weve got more and more lines going in each week or so. also some nice technical dh lines (but short). smithville is fun, but its a long drive. theres also some good dj's in san marcos, where i go to school. there not quite on the scale of 9th, but they are close. and alot easier to ride on a mountain bike. let me know if you want to ride urban sometime or check out our trails in georgetown.
scott

brianTX

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Austin, TX
I still haven't found any real good sets here in Austin for mtbs. There's plenty of people here in Austin who want some mtb DJ's but no one gets around to building them. if we can get just a few people to help i'd be more than willing to put some time in building. Pm me if yer interested..............

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Originally posted by downhil
if you want to go ride the trails in georgetown email me or call me. 512-396-8603. weve got more and more lines going in each week or so. also some nice technical dh lines (but short). smithville is fun, but its a long drive. theres also some good dj's in san marcos, where i go to school. there not quite on the scale of 9th, but they are close. and alot easier to ride on a mountain bike. let me know if you want to ride urban sometime or check out our trails in georgetown.
scott
So do ya'll have any kiddy jumps for me to learn on? How bout some little tabletops? Post some pics if you have any.

BullitBoy

Chimp
Apr 30, 2002
Austin, TX
I am currenlty out of town this week for work and the next couple weeks for vacation. I am interested in checking out the trails in g-town. I will let you know when I get back. I am almost always up for a little street downtown and UT area. I would also be willing to help build some stuff if we could find a place that wouldn't get torn down. Anybody know of a place to start building some stuff?

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by toonces

So do ya'll have any kiddy jumps for me to learn on? How bout some little tabletops? Post some pics if you have any.
you up for riding tomorrow (the 10th)? give me your phone number and we'll give you a call tomorrow morning. let me know.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Originally posted by downhil

you up for riding tomorrow (the 10th)? give me your phone number and we'll give you a call tomorrow morning. let me know.
Sorry, I had a wedding to prepare for that day. Email me directions to that place so I can check it out sometime. Thanks.

sonofbuster[at symbol]hotmail.com

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
its easier to show you rather than tell you. dont want you to get lost and wandering about in the woods for a couple hours.