Quantcast

dirt jumping nomenclature questions

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
Okay, so they're not the most important questions in the world, but I wanted to know what the "official" nomenclature rules are for sets of dirt jumps.

1) If there's a set of six doubles (meaning six takeoff lips and six landings), is that a six-pack or a twelve-pack?

2) If there are three jumps, then the line splits into two options, where you can take three more jumps on the left or take three more jumps on the right, what is that called?

3) If there are jumps with berms intermixed between, would such a line fall under the "pack" naming system, or can you only call something a six-pack if it's six jumps in a row one after another?

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
For question 1, I have always heard that you count the launch and lander, so I would call it a 12.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd call it a six pack.

What if it's just one lip/landing (one jump)? I would call it one double. (unless it's a table or something).

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
1) If there's a set of six doubles (meaning six takeoff lips and six landings), is that a six-pack or a twelve-pack?
Since I've been riding and digging "modern" day trails (since '97) I would call that a 12 pack.

2) If there are three jumps, then the line splits into two options, where you can take three more jumps on the left or take three more jumps on the right, what is that called?
Pretty much anything you want. If there is a lip with no straight landing and you have to float into another lander that's a transfer or if it hips a little then a hip. Using the word split is fine too.

3) If there are jumps with berms intermixed between, would such a line fall under the "pack" naming system, or can you only call something a six-pack if it's six jumps in a row one after another?
Just name your lines (You can even name one set or feature) and it would be easier to keep track for you and the riders. We only have 3 lines and it's straight forward and boring - Mains, Cliffsides, and Kiddies. We're recently connecting the Mains to the Cliffsides so it would be - "Run the Mains then transfer into the Cliffs". Our homies' spot has the best names for lines: Tarzans, Box o' Chocolates, Tom Hanks, DUIs, Bombers, Butters and a bunch more I can't think of right now. You'll need a dictionary to figure out what's being said on the deck at those trails during a jam.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i have always counted a jump and a tranny as 1. so for me it would be a six pack (you cant just have a jump or just a tranny, so why count then appart).

2. line a, line b, line c

3. line