Quantcast

Dirt jumps around Jax FL?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Going to be in Fernandina Florida (just north of Jacksonville) for them holidays and trying to figure out if I should bring a dj bike or not. I've got a bunch of friends in Gainesville to go riding xc with but traveling with a much cheaper ss hardtail is easier.:p

Anybody know of anything in the area?

Thanks.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i was sposed to go to UF about the same time that vagrant was beheading students in 91 but couldnt come up with the fundage so i ended up selling my soul to the navy.

im trying to get a crew together to go down at the end of jan for a kick ass 6 hr race.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ridetoofast said:
i was sposed to go to UF about the same time that vagrant was beheading students in 91 but couldnt come up with the fundage so i ended up selling my soul to the navy.

im trying to get a crew together to go down at the end of jan for a kick ass 6 hr race.
Danny Rowling........my junior year in High school. One of his victims graduated from my high school. One of our xc trails went by this old shack that he hid out in. Creepy.

I'm planning on being in g'ville at least one day for some beer drinking with old friends so that smaller stuff they're building will get a visit. That drop looks like fun but I'm not dragging my dh bike all the way there just for that.

Now if I can just find some stuff to ride in jax, the deal would sweeten......:p

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ridetoofast said:
small world

what did you go to school for and when did you graduate?
I graduated high school in 93, went to georgia tech for two years and wanted to kill myself, transferred to UF (girls!) and graduated in 97 (biochemistry, minor chem E). Hung around for another year and a half for grad school....quit (chemical engineering......enough), worked in town till 2000, then moved west (mountains!)

Where you from?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
grew up in venice/englewood, moved away my senior year to jax nc, went to a community college that was INSANELY cheap (12/credit hr), finished my AS then tried to transfer to UF (got accepted to college of engineering but couldnt come up with the $$) sold my soul to the navy (did 6 years nuc power there) stayed here in norfolk after i got out in 98 to finish my degree. graduated in 00, been working in the shipyard ever since for the 'man' building weapons of medium destruction.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
yeah it was nice, the only no speak'm i had was a math instructor.

oh i wish i had access to satellite imagery but unfortunately thats not my gig. im working on the cvn21 which is the replacement to the cvn68 class.

i have a friend that works at nasa who DOES have access to that though...

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I don't know if the would be the best place for a SS DJ bike but it is probably your closest bet for fun.

More pictures here: http://www.freeridesouth.com/pics/pics.php?page_num=1&cat=7&order_by=id+desc&query=santos

The park is called Santos and is located in Ocala which I believe is about a 90 minute or so drive from Jacksonville. The park is currently being built by IMBA and local volunteers. This weekend is when they are hoping to have everything finished. If you check the link back on Monday or so there should be a lot of updated pictures. A bunch of my friends are making the drive up there to help out and hopefully sample the new stuff. I am sure they will take a lot of pictures of the finished product and post them on the site.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
The only decent place to even ride (XC only) is at Hanna Park near the naval base, but you certainly won't find any stunts, drops or much of anything but singletrack. It's at the beach, so it's sandy too.

I lived in Gainesville for about 4 years and raced DS/DH for UF. I would take guys over to the BMX track in Jax to help them improve their handling skills. Funny stuff. The BMX track in Jax is on the opposite side of where you'll be, but they definitely have some major doubles and triples. I think it's still open all the time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Str8Dwn said:
The only decent place to even ride (XC only) is at Hanna Park near the naval base, but you certainly won't find any stunts, drops or much of anything but singletrack. It's at the beach, so it's sandy too.

I lived in Gainesville for about 4 years and raced DS/DH for UF. I would take guys over to the BMX track in Jax to help them improve their handling skills. Funny stuff. The BMX track in Jax is on the opposite side of where you'll be, but they definitely have some major doubles and triples. I think it's still open all the time.
Is that the ray green track on northside? I used to race there when I was a kid. Bunch of softball fields nearby?

I've ridden hanna a lot. I grew up in jacksonville.

UF has/had a ds/dh team? Where'd you practice, that long slope out at the powerlines?:p j/k

I used to work at chain reaction when I went to school there. You ever meet a crew of older guys who do a lot of night riding? Matt Hermann, Peter, Pat, Brian Cotter, Jim Buchannan ring a bell? We used to ride after work/school to put in some of the less than legal stuff around paines prarie.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Yeah that's the one. Rocky and those guys have put tons of work into that track.

I know it's funny to hear, but we did have a small group of guys like Colin on this board, (and myself) who used to race DH/DS for UF. I also landed their PlanetX sponsorship. PX even made them special road bike frames and stuff. After I left, no one knew how to ride DS, so it dropped from there. I did go to Collegiate Nats in Plattekill and sucked ass. Those boys really know how to ride.

I used to work at Campus Cycle (next to Chain Reaction) for about 3 years (97-01). I was in charge of their mtb and BMX teams. I know Jim, Raleigh and Eric the viking, but not the other guys. I used to have a blue San Andreas, Green S-Works and Red S-Works, or Black Planet-X.

Small world, heh?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Str8Dwn said:
Yeah that's the one. Rocky and those guys have put tons of work into that track.

I know it's funny to hear, but we did have a small group of guys like Colin on this board, (and myself) who used to race DH/DS for UF. I also landed their PlanetX sponsorship. PX even made them special road bike frames and stuff. After I left, no one knew how to ride DS, so it dropped from there. I did go to Collegiate Nats in Plattekill and sucked ass. Those boys really know how to ride.

I used to work at Campus Cycle (next to Chain Reaction) for about 3 years (97-01). I was in charge of their mtb and BMX teams. I know Jim, Raleigh and Eric the viking, but not the other guys. I used to have a blue San Andreas, Green S-Works and Red S-Works, or Black Planet-X.

Small world, heh?
I left gainesville in 2000. The guys I rode with and I did the continental divide route then I moved out west. We were definitely there at the same time. I transfered from ga tech to UF in 95, graduated undergrad in 97, did some grad school and then worked for a year. I guarantee we'd recognize each other. I even bought an old hardtail stumpjumper from you guys after I quit chain reaction. Cracked it, got it waranteed through you guys. One of you fellers helped me out to get a black one instead of the horrible yellow of 2000 they had for replacements. Are you the one who moved to ashville after you left UF?

Name Kevin ring a bell?:p

If your red s-works had a double crown fork on it, I remember you very well. You even came out with us for one of our night rides then bailed early out by Haile Plantation.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
I think you are thinking of Chris Parks (red hair like I have) or a slightly older guy named Keith who used to own the shop before I started there in 97 and had a red FSR with a DC. I only went night riding at the Powerlines once with some of the guys from our shop, but never bailed.

I'd probably recognize you, but the name doesn't ring a bell. I do remember getting a black stumpjumper for someone for warranty. My SJ was puke green at the time. With my neon yellow Specialized shoes and matching helmet, I could ride at night without a light :blah:

I moved to Atlanta when I left Gville. Asheville was on my possible list, but more jobs in ATL as you know.

Attachments