Quantcast

dirt jumps in Richmond

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
not anymore. we hve a special someone to thank for that....

There used to be some dirt jumps down at Dogwood Dell park, they had been there since the 80's, but they got bulldozed.

enderwaves

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Man, I can't believe those dogwood dell jumps got bulldozed. I've been away from the commonwealth too long.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Man, I can't believe those dogwood dell jumps got bulldozed. I've been away from the commonwealth too long.
Yeah, it sucks. They have been there FOREVER. From what i've heard, at least 25 years!

Oh well, all it takes it one d!ck to screw it up for the rest of us.

But look at it this way, at least we'll have a bunch of XC to ride when he's done! :rolleyes:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Yeah, it sucks. They have been there FOREVER. From what i've heard, at least 25 years!

Oh well, all it takes it one d!ck to screw it up for the rest of us.

But look at it this way, at least we'll have a bunch of XC to ride when he's done! :rolleyes:
Mike that wouldnt have been a certain banned TFK someone would it?
Pm me with the answer if you want!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Nope, has nothing to do with TFK.

Just a local Richmonder "doing his part"

(And by doing his part, I mean strongarming his way into everything that happens in the Park System, if it affects him or not, and making it what he wants)

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The jumps at Dogwood were bulldozed by that parks manager. They didn't even allow the singletrack there to be cleared after the hurricane. One of the reasons cited for this were the illegal freeride trail building. The jumps have been flattened a couple times before and have come back.

There is still small support within the city parks management for a legal area to build dirtjumps. Most of the folks that work on the XC trails don't dirt jump so they aren't going to spend effort on that. There is a lot of politicing going on with the city, so hopefully once that is settled we can get started on something.

Richmond MORE is not opposed to this, we just need to step up and make it happen.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
As long as you don't mind the occasional bulldozing you're fine. :p

Let's try to see if we can get something going near the BMX track at Gilles.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD

Lets do it. I know someone already got the OK from the track guy to do it, they just didn't like building out there. I'll be down there every day if we can get something going!

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I may start a new thread as well, but for now I will post here.

I am looking for Richmond area folk who:

1. can dirt jump
2. dont mind back breaking work with a shovel, maddock axe, etc.
3. can keep their mouths shut tight

If you fit the criteria, PM me.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
not anymore. we hve a special someone to thank for that....

There used to be some dirt jumps down at Dogwood Dell park, they had been there since the 80's, but they got bulldozed.
With regard to Dogwood Dell, RIP, (semi-confirmed) rumor has it that a couple of concerned non-biking citizens actually complained to the city council, et al. about the Dell's demise. Apparently they argued that it was a waste of resources to demolish something that was providing a positive outlet for some of the citiy's youth.

It still bums me out that it got dozed, but we were riding on borrowed time. Nonetheless it is good to know that our efforts to be courteous to other park users and self-policing at least made positive impressions with some folks.

The Dell will arise again...maybe just not at the Dell. ;-)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

I'd be willing to entertain the idea of / help with the digging at the BMX track again, but there are a lot of negatives and only one positive from my perspective.

Negatives:

-The ground in the infield is construction refuse (mostly broken red brick)
-Even the "imported" topsoil that they use to make the track itself is going to be unworkable from July until September (without a bulldozer and water truck)
-There are other folks working there already as evidenced by the 4-pack in place. Gonna need to find them and coordinate.
-The location. Not to be a complete d!ck, but once the sun goes down over there, the crowd gets very sketchy.
-Infield temp at 9pm in August is what, 105°F?

Positive:

-We can showcase a functioning dirt jump park to the city. (Even it was possible to build a decent functioning DJ park in the infield of the track, what does showcasing it buy us? Is the city gonna say, 'oh, thats great let's build another one. How about on Belle Island? or Dogwood Dell?' No, the city is gonna say, 'you've got a DJ park at the track. Don't be greedy.')

It may seem that I am just making excuses, but I don't like wasting my time on projects I don't believe in. I am willing to help throw dirt and help out. I am not willing to head up the effort, because I simply don't believe it'll work.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Chuffer is wise. :monkey:

I value your comments very much and I think you're spot on. Thanks.

Since the whole point of this is to have a legal place to build and spend our efforts but that is only going to work if everyone buys in to the idea. There has to be ownership from the DJ community for this to be successful. There are some other parks in the city where this may work better. Belles is a no go, I asked.

Perhaps you, Mike and I could get together for a ride and discuss sometime?

cantdog

Chimp
Apr 12, 2005
I'd be willing to entertain the idea of / help with the digging at the BMX track again, but there are a lot of negatives and only one positive from my perspective.
Wait, do you have permission to build the jumps at the BMX track again? BMX track is private land, correct?

If I understand this correctly, you want to rebuild the jumps, attract people, and then go to the city counsel and say, ''look, kids need a place to jump, just take these illegal jumps we built as an example.''

It would be much better to find a place to build them legally(maybe thats just as simple as asking the BMX track owners) and starting the project. County Board members do not really enjoy approving something that has gone on illegally in the past. Just look towards Northern Virginia and the problem with people creating illegal TTFs at various local parks.

I think a better approach would be to get as many people as you can to write to your counsel member, and when the next zoning/parks public hearing occurs, get as many people as you possibly can to show up and express your interest in having those sorts of trails. You can cite the new Charlottesville freeride park as an example, examples in other states(there are several projects in southern CA occuring now) and show how successful they are.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Some work was started last year at the track with the blessing of the powers that be. I never interacted with owner directly, but was told by the track caretakers that the go ahead to build between the first and second straights had been given.

Unfortunately, in addition to the reasons listed above, an injury on my part and a lack of serious interest from others resulted in nothing ever becoming of the project -at least nothing exemplary.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Chuffer is wise. :monkey:

I value your comments very much and I think you're spot on. Thanks.

Since the whole point of this is to have a legal place to build and spend our efforts but that is only going to work if everyone buys in to the idea. There has to be ownership from the DJ community for this to be successful. There are some other parks in the city where this may work better. Belles is a no go, I asked.

Perhaps you, Mike and I could get together for a ride and discuss sometime?
Mike, I think that would be a great idea. We should also get Shawn (BCG) involved he is an ace with a shovel and bafflingly motivated.

Sadly, I am going to be out of town for most March. When I get back, lets grab that beer and do some strategizing.

(Too bad that the powers that be arent interested in Belle Island. Everytime I ride through there I envision a huge field of DJs under the overpass. Protected (somewhat) from rain and sun. Oh well...)

Aug 30, 2007
Mike, I think that would be a great idea. We should also get Shawn (BCG) involved he is an ace with a shovel and bafflingly motivated.

Sadly, I am going to be out of town for most March. When I get back, lets grab that beer and do some strategizing.

(Too bad that the powers that be arent interested in Belle Island. Everytime I ride through there I envision a huge field of DJs under the overpass. Protected (somewhat) from rain and sun. Oh well...)
That would be nice for us mountain bikers...but not for everyone else that goes to Belle to see the historic landmarks.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA

10-4 on Shawn.

That's pretty much my schedule too so that works.

Funny, I have that same vision. :monkeydance:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
That would be nice for us mountain bikers...but not for everyone else that goes to Belle to see the historic landmarks.
I understand your concern for the historic landmarks. That said here are a few counterpoints:

1. The piles of construction refuse and topsoil that are currently (for as long as I have lived in RIC) under the bridge are not historic landmarks. They are an eyesore and a well groomed set of DJs look like sculpture. Building and maintaining a DJ park = value add to the piece of land.

2. There is no reason why historic land marks and DJs cannot co-exist. Would a group of people enjoying the outdoors, sports and camaraderie really detract from experience of visitors to historic jails, warehouses, etc.?

3. The presence of a group of people who value the opportunity presented by the city / park will improve the location. In other words DJ riders would have a need to keep the park from becoming unkempt and littered (I am being very nice here. Belle Island looks like a landfill at times). Why? Simply the fear of losing a great opportunity.

Perhaps I am missing the point entirely. Is there some historically important relic hidden among the dirt piles and the weeds under the overpass?

Please explain why our presence would be so negative and intrusive to other users.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Just look towards Northern Virginia and the problem with people creating illegal TTFs at various local parks.
actually, things have been going very well with the legalization of our 10+ year old dirt jump park (495) up here. the park service has been downright friendly and helpful. if you guys need any help or want info on how we've done it so far, let me know. i have a vested desire to see DJs in richmond as hopefully i'll be moving there within the next year or so.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
actually, things have been going very well with the legalization of our 10+ year old dirt jump park (495) up here. the park service has been downright friendly and helpful. if you guys need any help or want info on how we've done it so far, let me know. i have a vested desire to see DJs in richmond as hopefully i'll be moving there within the next year or so.
That would be a great help. I think the best way is to show the city that this concept works and is succesful in other areas. Rich Edwards showed them the slides he took at Santos in FL. which seemed to spark some interest among some of the city staff.

bikecrazyguy

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Richmond, VA
Dart,

chufffer is correct, I am completely on board with helping to build some public dirt jumps. That would be awesome. Having a location with more than one or two people throwing dirt could build a nice park in no time. Let me know when you are in town, we can hook up for a burger and a beer. I am starting from scratch on building in the city, so let me know what ideas you have in mind.

cantdog

Chimp
Apr 12, 2005
I understand your concern for the historic landmarks. That said here are a few counterpoints:

1. The piles of construction refuse and topsoil that are currently (for as long as I have lived in RIC) under the bridge are not historic landmarks. They are an eyesore and a well groomed set of DJs look like sculpture. Building and maintaining a DJ park = value add to the piece of land.

2. There is no reason why historic land marks and DJs cannot co-exist. Would a group of people enjoying the outdoors, sports and camaraderie really detract from experience of visitors to historic jails, warehouses, etc.?

3. The presence of a group of people who value the opportunity presented by the city / park will improve the location. In other words DJ riders would have a need to keep the park from becoming unkempt and littered (I am being very nice here. Belle Island looks like a landfill at times). Why? Simply the fear of losing a great opportunity.

Perhaps I am missing the point entirely. Is there some historically important relic hidden among the dirt piles and the weeds under the overpass?

Please explain why our presence would be so negative and intrusive to other users.
I have no problem with it, I'm just playing devils advocate because I'm sure this is the type of questions that will be raised. The area under the overpass is a former prison site, so I'm guessing it is some sort of local landmark which would logically follow that there are rules governing what can and cannot be put on top of the site. I'm thinking that even if the city puts dirt there, they would have a problem 'building' dirt piles for people to ride on. It would be worth looking at the zoning regulations on Belle Island.

And the 495 dirt jumps in NoVa are an example of something illegal becoming legal, but that seems to be the exception, not the rule. And I remember all the times over the past 8 years at least where parts of 495 were knocked down. Also, I'm thinking of the destruction/toning down of TTFs at Rosaryville, and Lewis&Clark.

I'm all for jumps, I'd love a place to go when I'm in Richmond on the weekends. It would just be a shame to jump into a project and ignore the potential pitfalls that may occur down the road.