Quantcast

Dirt Jumps in San Francisco?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm putting some feelers out about getting some jumps built in San Francisco in a legitimate way, similar to other cities across the country. (Possibly a bike-friendly street park too.) I want to make sure I'm not duplicating anyone else's efforts or starting from scratch if anyone else is already working on it. I have some friends willing to put in time, effort, and maybe some cash. There are lots of ideas as to where, including about a dozen places in Golden Gate Park and a bunch of city lots around town.

So, is anyone aware of a similar ongoing effort? Has anyone tried this before? I know it will be hard, so spare me the negativity. But there seems to be a growing contingent of 20, 24, and 26" riders here and it seems there would be a lot of support.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
well i don't know anything about any current effort but im just across the bay from SF and would love to help out if this goes down. i could get a few other people in on it too. keep us posted!

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
There used to be some DJ's toward the bottom of the GGP. Are they still there? I used to live in SF but I moved away 6 year ago so it's possible those jumps are no more.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Shells is as close as sf is gonna get, just find some hidden place for you and your friends to dig. makes everything less complicated

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
Shells is as close as sf is gonna get, just find some hidden place for you and your friends to dig. makes everything less complicated
It's too bad the San Bruno jumps got plowed. I remember Montara had some good jumps behind the school but that was years ago. Those would have been closer for the SF folks. There are some larger sets hidden in SSF that I have heard about. I can try and get the exact location. If your interested pm me so i can get you directions.

Good luck with the building in SF.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Dude, are you talking about that single table near the golf course? Not really what I had in mind, but anyway it's been gone for years.
what can i do to help? yah i live in reno now, but i am still home a lot and will be for all of summer.

let me know!!! i am sure i could ask other people to help too.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
It's too bad the San Bruno jumps got plowed. I remember Montara had some good jumps behind the school but that was years ago. Those would have been closer for the SF folks. There are some larger sets hidden in SSF that I have heard about. I can try and get the exact location. If your interested pm me so i can get you directions.

Good luck with the building in SF.
montara may be no more, but theres others...were not lazy thats for sure

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I would possibly try the BMX track angle and slip the DJ's in on the side of the track somewhere. It seems like towns and cities are more inclined to allow a track... not sure why?... generally more accepted I guess?

If they allow you to build a BMX track, it'll be your ticket to go buck wild. Pool in on a skid steer rental for three days and do-it-up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow, talk about bringing a thread back from the dead!

My original post came right around the time the SFUrban Riders organization was getting started. They are working on a bunch of different projects, including a bike park in McClaren Park. Get in touch with those guys if you want to lend a hand. It literally takes years to get anything officially sanctioned in SF and some of those guys have been tireless in trying to make this happen.

CMC: The Tamo Flow trail is fun but it is not dirt jumps. More like a super fun pump track with great berms and rollers but pretty limited air time.