Quantcast

Dirt jumps in southeastern PA?

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Hey, just wondering if there are any 26" friendly dirt jumps in the area. I live in Reading, and I know there are some good trails in the Bethlehem area but I have no idea where...Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Are you looking strictly to DJ? There used to be a spot or two around Bethlehem, but I don't think it's been built on for a couple of years. I'll do some asking around. You interested in trail riding at all in the area?

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I'm open to anything, but I just finished building up a Sinister DNA and have very limited spots to ride it. I ride here in Reading quite a bit at the pagoda but it's always fun to hit new trails.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
What else is there to ride around the Pagoda? I had heard there were some decent DH runs and some nice trails but that was on MTBR and a pissing contest erupted before i could get any useful info. I live in Macungie, so Reading would be a nice local trip for me.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
We have a bunch of lines at the pagoda. A lot of them are in disrepair because I think a lot of the Reading Racing guys have gotten out of the sport (what I would believe you witnessed by the "pissing match"). Myself and a friend maintain what we can and ride every chance we get. If you ever want to ride here let me know and we can set up a time. If its decent this weekend we will probably go out.

Also, are you familiar with trails on South Mountain?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I'd love to ride Reading. I work down in southern Maryland during the week and am only home on weekends but yeah, we'd love to. You weren't the one on MTBR were you? That got ugly but it's local stuff so it's none of my business. I know some of South Mountain, which one though? There are 2 here we refer to and both have trails. PM me for more info, sometimes it gets touchy as far as those trails go.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I just looked through and found what you were talking about on MTBR. That DEFINITELY was not me. I know all of them, but don't really ride with any of them anymore. It's kind of sad that every time they end up having a post about Reading it ends up like that. It's really just me and my best friend that ride together. We are always looking for new lines and build new stuff when we can. I Haven't been up in about a month or so, so I'm sure everything is super leaf covered. I'll go up and check it out tommorrow and let you know if anything is rideable.

I know some stuff on South Mountain Bethlehem, but I have heard the better stuff is in Emmaus.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
If you like climbing, yeah. There are DH runs and more trail at Lehigh.
I'll get MountainDrew to chime in, he's more familiar with that stuff.

rsdmag

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
Eastern PA
SM Emmaus- actually, the DH runs arent actually in Emmaus...they are on private land further east. The legal riding at SME is more technical XC oriented with some fun trials-style rock stuff on the top.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
hey i just moved to the east coast, 20 min from philli, lookin for spots to ride/people to ride with,i ride dh,got a hard tail, more dh though,let a honkey know

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
hey i just moved to the east coast, 20 min from philli, lookin for spots to ride/people to ride with,i ride dh,got a hard tail, more dh though,let a honkey know
If you feel like traveling an hour and a half or so, it sounds like we will be shuttling this weekend here in Reading. DH/FR trails. I think Sunday is the day, probably 11 or so. PM me for directions and whatnot if you are interested.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
SM Emmaus- actually, the DH runs arent actually in Emmaus...they are on private land further east. The legal riding at SME is more technical XC oriented with some fun trials-style rock stuff on the top.
Sounds cool. I have heard rumors of downhill jump trails with nice big doubles over there somewhere, do you think that is the private land?

rsdmag

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
Eastern PA
Yep- all that stuff is on private land, and the builder wakes up every morning and has to 'decide if he likes people today' Its well hidden, off the trailsystem, and is apparently 'invitation only' The builder has permission to be there, but it doesnt seem the general public does, unfortuantely.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Things can be arranged. When you have a truck that has shuttled alot in the past, you make friends.....

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Sweet. I think I know who the builder is. He used to ride over here sometimes if my thinking is correct. I never really got to know him, just remember him being crazy fast and smooth, so I can only imagine that his trails are cool. I am riding Sunday morning around 11 if any of you guys want to head over.

Cazzamazza

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Ah the one time I think to look on RM and I find a decent thread! Since I moved to the USA I have been trying to find some localish DH trails, only found the ones at Lehigh/South Mt. Are the trails at Reading easy to find?

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Right now with all of the leaves it can be pretty tough. From the Firetower it is pretty easy to explain, you would at least be able to find one or two of the popular trails.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Reading is a great place to ride. Haven't been up there in about a month but I along with a couple rider/racers try and keep up the trails as well. We try and stick to what reading racing would do when building their trails and only use dead or fallen wood, Not cut down live **** over a certain thickness, no mtn. luarrel cut, and try not and make **** dangerous for hikers.

We recently rebuilt an old trail that starts after the fire tower trail and airfield and starts closer to the starting point of the '05 race start. Hopefully after the new year i'll have my DH rig rebuilt and can meet all the other riders of reading i read about on here lol.